GDT: Devils @ Sabres 1/30/18 7PM

Nicomo

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

As scary as it is for me to be typing this Lovejoy has been one of the most consistent and reliable defenders when he’s been in the lineup this season. There are much larger liabilities who I would sit ahead of him. I understood the Lovejoy hate last year cause hell I was one of the pitchfork torchbearers, but this year he’s been solid

While I agree with you he is playing better than last year who would you sit? Im not a fan of playing 7 D for multiple games. I also believe last year we pushed Lovejoy outside his comfort zone he also could not find a good pairing on D. This year he has settled in well with Butcher. One of the D has to sit and I just can't see it being anyone else even though I can name a few Id like to see. I also feel a trade coming! :evil::D

10 hours ago, Devs1965 said:

I agree he should not be called up if there was no spot but playing 7 D there is an open spot on wing just who sits on D? I’d hope it would be Lovejoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do people keep hoping for Lovejoy to sit? This isn’t last year. By every metric and by the eye test he’s been one of the more solid defenders on the team. If he gets moved at the deadline for some forward help then I’d understand it I guess (with Mueller back we can afford it) but it’s not like he has played poorly. As someone else said without Gibbons or Mojo being healthy I don’t really hate double shifting Hall and rolling 7D.

Really an all around excellent road game, hard for me to complain. Some soft calls on us, didn’t like the Greene call and a bit of a joke that we didn’t get a power play all game but whatever. Some pretty goals and a great job by Kinkaid, which is what we need right now. He needs to play more controlled like that more consistently. 

31 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I wouldn't call him a non-factor just because he hasn't put the puck in the back of the net yet, he's giving us solid minutes on what I would consider our 2nd line right now, I think the points will come for him if he keeps up this level of play

I think he will too, but my dispute was with the phrase "absolutely flourishing". Thats a huge exaggeration. 

11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I usually seem to tend to side with you on things, but I gotta agree with MB here - I thought Zacha played a pretty good game last night, and I had the same feeling that if he gives that same effort, and continues to keep playing with that same line, that the points will start to come.  

Also, huge difference between "a pretty good game" and "absolutely flourishing". 

I'm not at all saying he's a bum, or he'll never be anything, or that the points won't come. I just think a lot of people on this board want him to be something great so badly that they give him way more credit than he has earned. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I think he will too, but my dispute was with the phrase "absolutely flourishing". Thats a huge exaggeration. 

Also, huge difference between "a pretty good game" and "absolutely flourishing". 

I'm not at all saying he's a bum, or he'll never be anything, or that the points won't come. I just think a lot of people on this board want him to be something great so badly that they give him way more credit than he has earned. 

True.  CommonDreads put it good though -- despite not putting the puck in the net, he was still playing good hockey, at least yesterday anyway.  I'm sure you know this and I'm not sure if you play the game, but I'll say it anyway because I still do - there's so much more to being a good player than what shows up on the scoresheet each night.  Just being in the right spot (which I think Zacha was during most of yesterday's game) and knowing where to be or how to set up your teammates is something that doesn't always get noticed or result in points, but it's the stuff that forces other teams to make a make or decision that they wouldn't otherwise make, because you were preventing them from doing what they initially wanted or intended, which then leads to either a turnover, or a break-out for your team, or a quality scoring chance, etc.  To be honest, even though I'm not the hugest proponent of the plus/minus statistic myself, situations like this is where that stat can be sort of telling, and a decent measure of a player's effect on the game and his team while he's on the ice.  I myself do not have the hardest shot, or the most accurate, and I'm not the fastest guy either, but I pride myself on my hockey smarts, or "hockey IQ" as it's termed nowadays.  I don't like to brag, but when I play hockey each week with my team, even if I don't end up on the stat sheet much or at all on a given night, I still can tell if and when I had a good game based on what else happened on the rink while I was out there.  I know whether or not I got burned during a shift, or if a made a sloppy turnover, forced the puck when there was a better outlet, etc.  When I sit down on the bench and end my shift, if I know I just played well but we didn't score, I hope to my teammates that kind of stuff gets noticed.  Like, "hey, we didn't score, but we didn't give up a goal either, and their line was really pressing too, so we did a good job", or "man, we cycled the puck and had possession for 90% of that shift, and even though we didn't get a goal, we just tired the crap out of their guys".  Stuff like that I'm not sure if it's always obvious or apparent to people who play the game, let alone fans.  Again, not saying you don't know this, just saying that Zacha by all accounts is showing signs of promise, despite nothing tangible to show for it yet.

42 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

New Jersey’s Taylor Hall fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for boarding Buffalo’s Kyle Okposo.

Guess the NHL had to find a way to stick it to the Devils somehow...heh heh

21 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I didn't see the hit. How bad are we talking?

I didn't think it was a fierce crosscheck into the boards or anything. Actually, I thought Okposo went down kinda easily. I also thought there was a point when a Buffalo player put a hit on Nico, in the same spot as the Hall hit, that could have also been called for boarding.

4 minutes ago, Henry Killinger said:

I didn't think it was a fierce crosscheck into the boards or anything. Actually, I thought Okposo went down kinda easily. I also thought there was a point when a Buffalo player put a hit on Nico, in the same spot as the Hall hit, that could have also been called for boarding.

exactly, it caught okposo off guard and was way away from the boards.. kyle had to fly over to them... which he did lol .. to all the kids watching, dont do what kyle did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

New Jersey’s Taylor Hall fined $5,000, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for boarding Buffalo’s Kyle Okposo.

That's fair. At least the guy wasn't hurt, but that was a bad hit. I'm glad it worked out OK but Okposo could have been badly hurt. And very glad he wasn't suspended!!

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Maybe someone with fancy stats can weigh in here...

Do we have a guy like that??

7 minutes ago, Henry Killinger said:

It wasn't a fierce, intent to injure kind of play, but hard enough and completely from behind. 

I saw that his on Nico as well, the main difference was that Nico was turned a bit and it wasn't entirely from behind. It probably could have been called a penalty but it wasn't completely offensive that it wasn't. 

• Like 1

Maybe someone with fancy stats can weigh in here,

There's a use for fancy stats but one thing i know and it's been proven, is that a huge majority of the people "obsessed" with fancy stats never played the game at any competitive level and that's part of the reason they are obsessed with numbers that much lol trying to compensate, look smart or somethin' cause they certainly can't speak from an experience point of view... and sure enough those people don't put any stock in intangibles, like it's some sort of myth... anyone who played the game know how important it can be.

So basically fancy stats is to noobs what a hummer is to douchebags with tiny happy sticks.

So basically. Trust your eye test lol someone who knows the game can get what he needs to know from that

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

There's a use for fancy stats but one thing i know and it's been proven, is that a huge majority of the people "obsessed" with fancy stats never played the game at any competitive level and that's part of the reason they are obsessed with numbers that much lol trying to compensate, look smart or somethin' cause they certainly can't speak from an experience point of view... and sure enough those people don't put any stock in intangibles, like it's some sort of myth... anyone who played the game know how important it can be.

So basically fancy stats is to noobs what a hummer is to douchebags with tiny happy sticks.

So basically. Trust your eye test lol someone who knows the game can get what he needs to know from that

Flaw in your theory...everyone loves hummers. 

• Like 2

Maybe someone with fancy stats can weigh in here, but from the eye-test I'd say he's been one of the 3 or 4 best forwards on the team night-in and night-out ever since he got put on a line with Palms and Wood. He had multiple high-danger chances again last night. Eventually some of these pucks are going to go in the back of the net, but I thought Zacha looked like the 3rd best forward on the team last night.

And if you compare last night with the first few weeks of the season where he looked unbelievably outmatched and overwhelmed, I'd say "absolutely flourishing" is an apt description of his play. 

Unfortunately corsica's tool to pick things out by date is down, but we do have NaturalStatTrick's With or Without You tool - Zacha and Wood together (with their 3 teammates) are getting around 50% of the shots while they're on the ice, but they're getting 63% of the high danger scoring chances.  That's a lot, and while I have some skepticism about the repeatability of high-danger scoring chances, I imagine this number is just picking out what you've been seeing with the eyes - a lot of good-ass chances.  For reference, no player was on the ice for a 63% rate of high-danger scoring chances last season.

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Just listen to the GMs who say numbers don't matter and listen to the ones who say they do.  Watch what moves those people make.  The choice is clear.  I'm not trying to compensate, I'm trying to understand, and while there's a lot I don't understand, I know more and more every day.  Meanwhile you think learning has stopped - your knowledge is complete.  You played.  At some level, who the hell even knows what it is, and so you have authority.  I don't trust authorities in any area of life, anyone who trots out a degree or an award or anything - their ideas have to make sense.  To paraphrase a common lament of the numberless, idea quality matters, and the only ideas you put forth are 'Playing makes you an authority' and 'not every shot is the same' and 'My eyes tell me what's good and what isn't.'  You're going to get some stuff right, but if you're not testing anything, if you're just trusting yourself to make the decisions, you won't learn anything.

5 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Just listen to the GMs who say numbers don't matter and listen to the ones who say they do. Watch what moves those people make.  The choice is clear.  I'm not trying to compensate, I'm trying to understand, and while there's a lot I don't understand, I know more and more every day.  Meanwhile you think learning has stopped - your knowledge is complete.  You played.  At some level, who the hell even knows what it is, and so you have authority.  I don't trust authorities in any area of life, anyone who trots out a degree or an award or anything - their ideas have to make sense.  To paraphrase a common lament of the numberless, idea quality matters, and the only ideas you put forth are 'Playing makes you an authority' and 'not every shot is the same' and 'My eyes tell me what's good and what isn't.'  You're going to get some stuff right, but if you're not testing anything, if you're just trusting yourself to make the decisions, you won't learn anything.

Where did i say that numbers don't matter? I literally started my post with "there's a use for fancy stats".

Edited by SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Where did i say that numbers don't matter? I literally started my post with "there's a use for fancy stats"

Yes, great, the 'I'm not racist, but' of hockey statistics.  You'll forgive me for thinking that those 6 words don't mean a whole lot when the rest of the post is running down people who use numbers.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1