GDT: Devils @ Sabres 1/30/18 7PM

Nicomo

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I didn't say I expected anything different, did I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No but there's nothing to be mad about the refs at all in that specific incident. I know the refs are the most recent scapegoats and that it's a kind of reflex to sh!t on them even when it's not their fault but gotta be fair lol

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

No but there's nothing to be mad about the refs at all in that specific incident. I know the refs are the most recent scapegoats and that it's a kind of reflex to sh!t on them even when it's not their fault but gotta be fair lol

In that specific instance, no.  But the Devils got 0 power plays all night.  So yeah, I am pretty pissed at the refs overall.

• Like 5

RECAP

• Nice to see the team get rewarded for their effort this time.
  • Exactly how they've been playing, but luck hasn't been on their side.
  • Also, Kinkaid made the saves tonight that our goalies haven't been making recently.
  • BTW, the Sabres one goal came from a low danger shot, which again shows it's not good to let teams take those at will.
    • The one tonight was nobody's fault other than Boyle for losing the face-off clean.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 47 to 42
  • ES FF: 37 to 27
  • ES SF: 28 to 18
  • ES SCF: 20 to 18
  • ES HDCF: 9 to 4
  • All CF: 47 to 56
  • All FF: 37 to 38
  • All SF: 28 to 28
  • All SCF: 20 to 25
  • All HDCF: 9 to 7

Yeah that was the frustration talking, plus I was convinced at the time we were about to blow yet another two goal lead in the final minutes. We won, so all good now lol.

Missed the first 10 minutes of this one but the Devils really played a solid game.  It is the Sabres and they are bad but the Sabres played a pretty disciplined D game and are obviously great at not taking penalties I guess.  

Liked Mueller's play, as long as these are the forwards the Devils have to choose from, I like 11F/7D for now.  Hayes sucks.

Devils also played a very well structured game and really had the Sabres in trouble in their own end a few times.  

Zacha has to bury a goddamn shot.  He's playing too well not to get rewarded.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Why have you made it your life goal to tell other people how to react to Devils hockey games? Is there an end-game here?

when people call a horse a bear i'm generally feeling like pointing out that it's actually a horse. It's just the way it is

Edited by SterioDesign

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

He’s not wrong. Refs did nothing wrong tonight. MAYBE you could argue a hook on Boyle at the end there, if Boyle didn’t skate like the ice was wet cement he probably would have gotten the call. 

Hayes barely plays. There’s no benefit to having Quenneville here to not play. 

I agree he should not be called up if there was no spot but playing 7 D there is an open spot on wing just who sits on D? I’d hope it would be Lovejoy.

Dean Morton and Garrett Rank were your officials tonight. If Morton sounds familiar that's because he was the awful referee in St Louis. How we had not ONE PP tonight in a game we controlled, against an undisciplined team, has to make you think there are just some refs that have it out for teams.

9 hours ago, Devs1965 said:

I agree he should not be called up if there was no spot but playing 7 D there is an open spot on wing just who sits on D? I’d hope it would be Lovejoy.

As scary as it is for me to be typing this Lovejoy has been one of the most consistent and reliable defenders when he’s been in the lineup this season. There are much larger liabilities who I would sit ahead of him. I understood the Lovejoy hate last year cause hell I was one of the pitchfork torchbearers, but this year he’s been solid

• Like 1

So happy to see a win...though I was hoping for a laugher, in a way I'm glad that it was close to the end, in that it forced the Devils to stay on their toes and not ever feel like they had it in the bag. 

Nice game for KK, but as we know he's just been all over the place this season...who knows what his next start will bring. 

As far as the refs go...as crazy as they've made me this season, and as frustrated as I've been with them multiple times, even though the Devils never got a power play last night, I never saw that one "How did he not get called for THAT?!" missed call that would've gotten me all fired up.  A couple of the Devils penalties seemed a little iffy, but not so much that I was throwing sh!tfits (and I've thrown my share this season).  It's rare, but every now and then a team does go a whole game without getting whistled for a penalty...Derek once whined about that after his Rangers lost to the Devils, where the Devils weren't once shorthanded...even went so far as to say the NHL must love the Devils, which is beyond laughable...this franchise has at times definitely been very well-respected, but never beloved by the NHL. 

It is funny though, I think the refs probably could've disallowed Palms' goal if they really wanted to (I was a bit surprised that they didn't, based on the possible-offsides replay), but didn't partly because they figured they'd better throw us a bone (and that the game was pretty much over anyway, so why poke the bear yet again?).  Not saying that's what happened, just that it kind of felt that way. 

Just glad that the losing streak is over. 

• Like 2

Good to get 2 points and a win.  That was a good start coming out of the break, not the prettiest, but the Sabres seem really intent on not giving up chances and less so on creating.  But the Devils played with good structure.  I agree on keeping the 11/7 with the options at forward.  Kyle Palmieri is going to have to get some goals during this finishing stretch, so it was good that his empty netter counted.  Maybe that's a start. and a good breakout pass on Wood's goal.

This team should be focused for Thursday's Flyers game.  It better be after the last 2 times against them.  This team will need it's share against the Metro teams down the stretch.  It's doable.

8 hours ago, devlman said:

Dean Morton and Garrett Rank were your officials tonight. If Morton sounds familiar that's because he was the awful referee in St Louis. How we had not ONE PP tonight in a game we controlled, against an undisciplined team, has to make you think there are just some refs that have it out for teams.

I read pregame that the Sabres are one of the least penalized teams in the league. They are pretty disciplined when yayo is hurt. You can take your tinfoil hat off =) 

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

By the way, Pavel zacha is absolutely flourishing on the line with Wood and Palmieri. The goal scoring will come, I have no doubt. Really really nice to see him playing so well and with so much confidence.

Absolutely flourishing? Come on. He's showing signs of improvement. He is still a non-factor in games and you can't say he is "absolutely flourishing" yet still accomplishing nothing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Absolutely flourishing? Come on. He's showing signs of improvement. He is still a non-factor in games and you can't say he is "absolutely flourishing" yet still accomplishing nothing. 

I wouldn't call him a non-factor just because he hasn't put the puck in the back of the net yet, he's giving us solid minutes on what I would consider our 2nd line right now, I think the points will come for him if he keeps up this level of play

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I usually seem to tend to side with you on things, but I gotta agree with MB here - I thought Zacha played a pretty good game last night, and I had the same feeling that if he gives that same effort, and continues to keep playing with that same line, that the points will start to come.  He just seemed more comfortable and more in tune with those linemates.  I noticed they were in good position in the offensive zone and had a good cycle going on when they were out there.  I feel like Zacha may turn into a good set-up many for Palmiriei.  I'd love for him to find his own scoring niche as well, and I think he has it in him, but I'll take any offensive production at this point, and I think it's no far away from occurring.