You'll never win with Schneider

'7'

Kinkaid let in 3 vs. the Islanders but as usual, does enough to get the W. First shot no goalie has a chance on. Absolute layup in front of the net with a guy left completely uncovered. The next two were both deflections. Nowadays though so many shots change directions either off your own guy or one of their sticks. Goalies are expected to, and do, stop pucks that change directions. The Beauvillier one took a very sharp turn though, and he very nearly reacted in time to snag it. The Wagner goal should've been stopped but whatever. We got the win and that's all that matters

Nothing is over yet but our lead has fattened enough, and we're playing a weak enough opponent to where we can risk a Cory start in Montreal to give Kinkaid a breather. The Devils can see the finish line and Florida seems to have emptied the tank. The only thing is if it looks like Cory is having another clunker...let's in 2 softies early, fighting the puck, handling it like a grenade, you MUST pull him before the game gets out of hand and let Keith try to save it. Let the Sharks game be a lesson. He should've been out of there at 2, but Hynes left him in until 4-0. That's too long.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, '7' said:

Kinkaid let in 3 vs. the Islanders but as usual, does enough to get the W. First shot no goalie has a chance on. Absolute layup in front of the net with a guy left completely uncovered. The next two were both deflections. Nowadays though so many shots change directions either off your own guy or one of their sticks. Goalies are expected to, and do, stop pucks that change directions. The Beauvillier one took a very sharp turn though, and he very nearly reacted in time to snag it. The Wagner goal should've been stopped but whatever. We got the win and that's all that matters

Nothing is over yet but our lead has fattened enough, and we're playing a weak enough opponent to where we can risk a Cory start in Montreal to give Kinkaid a breather. The Devils can see the finish line and Florida seems to have emptied the tank. The only thing is if it looks like Cory is having another clunker...let's in 2 softies early, fighting the puck, handling it like a grenade, you MUST pull him before the game gets out of hand and let Keith try to save it. Let the Sharks game be a lesson. He should've been out of there at 2, but Hynes left him in until 4-0. That's too long.

KK has allowed 3 goals in 4 of his last 5 starts, but he ,of course, gets goal support. Not saying that he was bad, he’s been real good. I just find it funny because the whole schtick of the board in the last few weeks was “3 goal schneider” or whatever. Not trying to defend Cory cause 11 straight losses is brutal. But maybe if Schneider had some goal support like KK seems to get pretty much every game, that streak wouldn’t even exist. Anyway, keep going KK, we can only be happy with his performance.

Edited by Devs3cups

Except it really wasn't the case for much of the season, they were getting similar goal support throughout the year and have similar splits now but Keith has a lot more wins.  Sometimes the timely save angle can be overstated but not really this year.  Keith HAS made timely saves in close games, Cory has not.

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Shero won’t shy away from big free agents.  He traded Staal with the idea that he was going to sign Parise.  Reports were that they were pretty close to pulling it off too.

I feel we’re now a nice destination for FA’s. With the toung guys and Hall as our future captain times are sweet

Edited by Devs3cups

JT is worth a call, no doubt. Also, I know there is a good chance that Carlson will be overpaid, but that's the way this stuff goes these days. I would still prefer to go after Carlson in FA than Karlsson in a trade.

McLoed could be with the big club next year but there is still plenty of room for a F and D acquisition. If this team can get into the playoffs and make any sort of splash I think Shero will be able to improve again without mortgaging anything. He's done a great job so far so there's no reason to doubt him.

CS starts tonight against WAS, a good test to see where he's at.  We should find out fairly quickly what we have in him.  Who knows, we may need him yet as the playoffs get underway.

No pressure tonight, so maybe that can help Cory find his game and get his confidence back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 9:03 AM, NLinfante said:

JT is worth a call, no doubt. Also, I know there is a good chance that Carlson will be overpaid, but that's the way this stuff goes these days. I would still prefer to go after Carlson in FA than Karlsson in a trade.

McLoed could be with the big club next year but there is still plenty of room for a F and D acquisition. If this team can get into the playoffs and make any sort of splash I think Shero will be able to improve again without mortgaging anything. He's done a great job so far so there's no reason to doubt him.

Unfortunately John Carlson had a career year with 67 points, meaning he's due for a significant raise. Not sure he'll still be worth it. Shattenkirk got 6.65 AAV, does anyone think Carlson gets any less than 7.5? 

On 3/27/2018 at 10:37 AM, vadvlfan said:

For some reason I doubt he'll come to either Rag$ or us.  No to Canada (tax reasons)? There might be strong consideration to do what Stamkos did. Tax free Fla. He could join Cats another young up and coming team.  I think he's going to stay put.

He's been making every indication he's returning to the Islanders.

19 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

He's been making every indication he's returning to the Islanders.

Not saying it won't happen, but these guys rarely burn bridges.  Looks like he's at least going to test the market first.

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Not to stick the knife in but so did Zach with us before he left.  If JT was such a given to be back he'd be back.

Zach didn't do that...he basically didn't comment on it much (but everyone picked part everything he said throughout the season, as he had to deal with repeated inquiries via the press), and then eventually said something to the effect of "You can keep asking, but my (non)-answer isn't going to be any different."  When the team got back to NJ after the 2012 SCF, fans saw him get off the bus and asked if he planned on staying, to which he supposedly replied "Don't worry about it."  For some reason some fans interpreted that as binding.

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not saying it won't happen, but these guys rarely burn bridges.  Looks like he's at least going to test the market first.

Zach didn't do that...he basically didn't comment on it much (but everyone picked part everything he said throughout the season, as he had to deal with repeated inquiries via the press), and then eventually said something to the effect of "You can keep asking, but my (non)-answer isn't going to be any different."  When the team got back to NJ after the 2012 SCF, fans saw him get off the bus and asked if he planned on staying, to which he supposedly replied "Don't worry about it."  For some reason some fans interpreted that as binding.

From what I recall, the only thing Zach said definitively was that he wasn't signing with the Rangers. 

Tavares has a lot to think about though. The isles have been perpetually rebuilding for 25 years. I wonder what faith he has in that management. 

6 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

From what I recall, the only thing Zach said definitively was that he wasn't signing with the Rangers. 

Tavares has a lot to think about though. The isles have been perpetually rebuilding for 25 years. I wonder what faith he has in that management. 

Yeah, though I think there's a part of him that would love to stay (especially with a new building on the horizon), I also think that the Isles are going to have to do their part to convince him that things are going to get better soon.  This season was really a disaster from that standpoint...it went so badly that JT would basically be a fool for not seeing what else is out there.  

Yeah, though I think there's a part of him that would love to stay (especially with a new building on the horizon), I also think that the Isles are going to have to do their part to convince him that things are going to get better soon.  This season was really a disaster from that standpoint...it went so badly that JT would basically be a fool for not seeing what else is out there.  

Ownership needs to fire Garth Snow. That guy is clueless, and I have no idea how he’s managed to keep that job for so long. They aren’t winning anything until that happens.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

I’m not sure I want a long term deal with JT. You figure we’d have to go 7y, $8 per. Power forwards typically don’t age well. He’s not the smoothest skater now, that tends to be the first thing to go. Those last 3 years could get ugly. 

$8 per?!  The salary cap is at $80 million next year.  To be clear by way of example, the Devils paid Rolston $5M on a $56M cap.  Tavares here would cost at least $10M and then you'd have to pay Hall that, but that would be something Shero should do gladly.  There are not many star players and Hischier and Bratt are on ELCs.  It would mean going for the Stanley Cup next season.  The Devils' cup window gets awfully tricky after 2020.

56 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ownership needs to fire Garth Snow. That guy is clueless, and I have no idea how he’s managed to keep that job for so long. They aren’t winning anything until that happens.

Snow’s track record is weird.  There were the Leddy and Boychuck trades, and of course the Griffin Reinhardt trade which was arguably more of a steal than Hall for Larsson in that Larsson is at least a quality NHL defenseman.  And we’ll see how the lottery goes, but that Hamonic trade also looks like a homerun.

Then of course there’s the absolutely brutal Niedereitter trade, Ladd free against signing, Ho Sang mishandling and drafting Del Colle. 

However you view him, I think he’s run his course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I surely don’t want Tavares if we risk having big troubles re-signing Hall and giving Nico the contract he deserves in 2 years. Keeping those guys is key and a major factor in our future success

It looks like the Devils can splurge on one big contract for someone who currently is not in the organization without having cap problems like in 2010.

• Like 1

Snow’s track record is weird.  There were the Leddy and Boychuck trades, and of course the Griffin Reinhardt trade which was arguably more of a steal than Hall for Larsson in that Larsson is at least a quality NHL defenseman.  And we’ll see how the lottery goes, but that Hamonic trade also looks like a homerun.

Then of course there’s the absolutely brutal Niedereitter trade, Ladd free against signing, Ho Sang mishandling and drafting Del Colle. 

However you view him, I think he’s run his course.

Islander fans detest him. They were putting up billboards by the arena demanding his firing. I don’t think they’ll fire him because the Islanders are a joke, but I think their owners are, at the very least, aware that the fans hate Snow. If Tavares walks, there could be riots outside Snow’s office lol.