GDT: Devils at Ducks 3/18/18 9:00 PM ET

nessus

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It doesn't feel like that much because he gets held pointless in a fair number of games...in that 21-game sample, he's been shut out 12 times.  But considering that he had two points through his first 20 games, I'll happily take these suddenly very respectable offensive numbers for Zajac, no matter how he gets them.  He has a shot to reach 500 points for his career by the end of next season...he needs 43 more points to do it. 

27 more points and he is 4th all time franchise leader in points (Gomer is currently 4th).  Once he passes Gomez he is 36 points away from passing 3rd all time held by Kirk Muller, 217 points to pass MacLean for 2nd all time.  I think he will definitely pass Gomez and has a decent shot at Muller, but I don't think he will pass MacLean or Elias (basically Zajac would have to have another entire career to catch Elias).

Amazing how long the guy has been here.  He will likely end as the 3rd all time franchise leader in points by the time he retires or is no longer on the team.

• Like 2

Zajac's a lock for third overall if he stays relatively healthy, probably by sometime last next season or early the following year...only needs 54 points to pass Muller.   He has an outside shot to finish with 600 points by the time his contract is up, but I'd be surprised if he pulled it off.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Meh, not much to say. Back to back "heavy" games against good teams will do this to you. You could tell they didn't have their legs and it was compounded by them not making good decisions with the puck. Starting Kinkaid was stupid as hell, though. Yeah, he's been on a roll, but I think he's been lucky almost as much as he's been good. There have been a few puck playing miscues that could've ended up in the net during this streak. Not to mention he's making saves that he doesn't even see. Not that any goals were his fault last night, but still an interesting decision. I think you have to start Schneider on Tuesday even if you do consider Kinkaid your "starter". 3 games in 4 nights is way too much, especially for a guy not used to carrying the load. Plus there's the whole thing that Schneider is the more talented goalie. 

I know the pk is great, but it's so obvious how much of that is due to the forwards. I haven't seen two dmen (Lovejoy and Greene) who have as much trouble clearing the damn puck. It's just been downright depressing to see Greene's decline; though it should be expected at 35. Shero has to find a way to get him on the third pair next year. Lovejoy has been decent all year, but the last few weeks have just proven that he isn't a top six guy anymore. He was great in the 7th dman role where he would play every few games. I doubt Mueller is *that* much better but at least he has wheels. Everyone knows how much I love Severson, but he and Moore have been garbage together recently. Might be time to go 6-45, 8-28, 2-12. 

If they come out flat on Tuesday, I'll be concerned, but it is crazy that they already achieved .500 on this trip. Hopefully Wood is ok, but it looked bad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derlique said:

Meh, not much to say. Back to back "heavy" games against good teams will do this to you. You could tell they didn't have their legs and it was compounded by them not making good decisions with the puck. Starting Kinkaid was stupid as hell, though. Yeah, he's been on a roll, but I think he's been lucky almost as much as he's been good. There have been a few puck playing miscues that could've ended up in the net during this streak. Not to mention he's making saves that he doesn't even see. Not that any goals were his fault last night, but still an interesting decision. I think you have to start Schneider on Tuesday even if you do consider Kinkaid your "starter". 3 games in 4 nights is way too much, especially for a guy not used to carrying the load. Plus there's the whole thing that Schneider is the more talented goalie. 

I know the pk is great, but it's so obvious how much of that is due to the forwards. I haven't seen two dmen (Lovejoy and Greene) who have as much trouble clearing the damn puck. It's just been downright depressing to see Greene's decline; though it should be expected at 35. Shero has to find a way to get him on the third pair next year. Lovejoy has been decent all year, but the last few weeks have just proven that he isn't a top six guy anymore. He was great in the 7th dman role where he would play every few games. I doubt Mueller is *that* much better but at least he has wheels. Everyone knows how much I love Severson, but he and Moore have been garbage together recently. Might be time to go 6-45, 8-28, 2-12. 

If they come out flat on Tuesday, I'll be concerned, but it is crazy that they already achieved .500 on this trip. Hopefully Wood is ok, but it looked bad. 

I've been thinking about the decision to start Kinkaid and I think/hope the idea was to not start Cory when the Devils have a schedule loss, the guy has already not been in net for a win in 2 months, and there's not much sense in starting a guy whose confidence may be down and asking him to win the game by himself.  So yeah, I think Cory should start on Tuesday for sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

I've been thinking about the decision to start Kinkaid and I think/hope the idea was to not start Cory when the Devils have a schedule loss, the guy has already not been in net for a win in 2 months, and there's not much sense in starting a guy whose confidence may be down and asking him to win the game by himself.  So yeah, I think Cory should start on Tuesday for sure.

I disagree with the term “schedule-loss”. There are disadvantageous situations for sure with back to backs, tough road trips and such but if you’re professional whether a player or a coach you try not to treat them any different than a regular situation. So, not playing Cory yesterday is puzzling - you gotta give a chance to your #1 in a back to back situation a chance to steal a game and regain confidence. Similar to what Washington did with Holtby in back to back with Islanders (albeit vs the same team and in super comfortable playoff situation)

Edited by PacificDevil

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

Thought the same thing. If Schneider was on the end on the 4-2 loss combined with his bad play and fortune, he might have had to be institutionalized at this point. 

If we’re going to make it Schneider needs to win some games. Last night would’ve been a suicide mission as it’s clear to see how fragile he’s been lately. 

1 hour ago, PacificDevil said:

I disagree with the term “schedule-loss”. There are disadvantageous situations for sure with back to backs, tough road trips and such but if you’re professional whether a player or a coach you try not to treat them any different than a regular situation. So, not playing Cory yesterday is puzzling - you gotta give a chance to your #1 in a back to back situation a chance to steal a game and regain confidence. Similar to what Washington did with Holtby in back to back with Islanders (albeit vs the same team and in super comfortable playoff situation)

In a vacuum, yes. But the circumstances dictated the situation here. 

I understand your criticism at MB and that you don't like his post. But do you have to make fun of him all the time, for me it's close to bullying. Grown up people taking shot at him. I know a lot of you have kids and I just want to know if this is what you want to learn your kids to do? This is a message board, is it that hard to just read a post and not agree, do you have to make fun of it?

Just my side of the coin.

Edited by hrasvalg
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Thought the same thing. If Schneider was on the end on the 4-2 loss combined with his bad play and fortune, he might have had to be institutionalized at this point. 

If we’re going to make it Schneider needs to win some games. Last night would’ve been a suicide mission as it’s clear to see how fragile he’s been lately. 

Given that when's he gonna play in the next week or so?  Not like there are easy games you can cherrypick for him to go in coming up.

58 minutes ago, hrasvalg said:

I understand your criticism at MB and that you don't like his post. But do you have to make fun of him all the time, for me it's close to bullying. Grown up people taking shot at him. I know a lot of you have kids and I just want to know if this is what you want to learn your kids to do? This is a message board, is it that hard to just read a post and not agree, do you have to make fun of it?

I don't understand the hate either. I have missed a lot of games this season and I really appreciate the few users who post recaps/thoughts on the gameplay after the game is over. If people don't find value in Mike's posts, they can scroll past them or use the ignore feature. But there have been a few times where I wasn't able to watch a game, and posts from MB and others helped give me an idea of how the team played.

At least Mike takes the criticism like a champ.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, nessus said:

I don't understand the hate either. I have missed a lot of games this season and I really appreciate the few users who post recaps/thoughts on the gameplay after the game is over. If people don't find value in Mike's posts, they can scroll past them or use the ignore feature. But there have been a few times where I wasn't able to watch a game, and posts from MB and others helped give me an idea of how the team played.

At least Mike takes the criticism like a champ.

His comeback earned him a ton of respect from me, that was well timed sharp humor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Given that when's he gonna play in the next week or so?  Not like there are easy games you can cherrypick for him to go in coming up.

I think last night had way more to do with the “schedule loss” narrative. I don’t think Schneider should be shielded, if he wins tomorrow he should get the tilt after. I’ve sh!t on Schneider as much as anyone, but playing him last night would’ve been bad. 

Goalies are like kickers. All about confidence. Let’s give him an square deal tomorrow starting him with the team coming off a rest day. 

I firmly believe that if Schneider lost 4-2 yesterday the narrative and vibe here would be very different. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hrasvalg said:

Well from what i've seen the hate is directed to the guy and not a specific post. Some people were rubbed the wrong way at some point... now they hate on all his posts. Personally i don't really mind them. It's recap of the game, it's an opinion piece too so obviously some may disagree with some stuff.

But overall buddy is putting time to construct these posts every single game. That's positive. I'd take posters like MB over the incredibly negative, pessimistic posters who are a true cancer to this forum IMO. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hrasvalg said:

If you don't like someone's posts or think some of us are bullies then use the ignore feature. Same goes for MB, if he doesn't like someone else's posts he can use it as well. I never block anyone because in the end this is just a message board and I never take anything personally here. 

Clearly he doesn't take it personally either because his comeback was great lol. 

People sh!t on his posts because he's flat out wrong a lot and he's only recently turned into a self proclaimed analytics guru in the past few seasons.

Just my view from the other side of the coin. ;)

Edited by Satans Hockey

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

If you don't like someone's posts or think some of us are bullies then use the ignore feature. Same goes for MB, if he doesn't like someone else's posts he can use it as well. I never block anyone because in the end this is just a message board and I never take anything personally here. 

Clearly he doesn't take it personally either because his comeback was great lol. 

People sh!t on his posts because he's flat out wrong a lot and he's only recently turned into a self proclaimed analytics guru in the past few seasons.

Just my view from the other side of the coin. ;)

Just because I think he’s part robot doesn’t mean I think he’s a bad guy. I’d hang out with a half man, half robot all day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

His comeback earned him a ton of respect from me, that was well timed sharp humor. 

Agree with this 100%, I think MB's stock went up with a lot of people with that comeback.  I'm one of them.   

I did go too far once with him and apologized for it, but I don't hate on the guy constantly...I do think he overdoes it with the criticism of the coaching staff, and it's the way he does it that I don't like (often oversimplifying).  I think picking apart every goal that a Devil goalie allows is also a bit much...if you're going to analyze every goal allowed (and EVERY NHL goalie gives up goals on stoppable shots...ALL of them), then why not do the same with every save?  Because for all of the perceived softies that we've seen, we've also been treated to a hell of a lot of big saves, especially lately.  DM84's post was fair and not an attack...it is kind of odd to go through the trouble of categorizing danger chances, then basically say that there's no such thing as a low-danger chance.

MB hasn't always helped his cause here either...a lot of unnecessary semantics debates through the years, and that and other factors have sometimes made it difficult to have "normal" back and forth banter with him.  He's gotten on his fair share of nerves.  But I would never tell him NOT to post his recaps...as long as he's not breaking any forum rules, he can post them as much as he wants to.  Doesn't mean that if he posts something within that comes off as bunk, that members can't take him to task for it.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think picking apart every goal that a Devil goalie allows is also a bit much...if you're going to analyze every goal allowed (and EVERY NHL goalie gives up goals on stoppable shots...ALL of them), then why not do the same with every save? 

Be careful what you ask for, man!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Be careful what you ask for, man!!

Heh heh, that's a good one, but I was more going for the fact that people almost tend to take the number of tough saves a goalie makes in any given game for granted, while only taking notice of what happens on pucks that make it into the net, and then criticizing the goalie not snagging enough "stoppable"" shots.  I was posting more from emotion than anything else after the loss to the Ducks, but at the time, considering that KK was under siege for much of the game, I guess I just wasn't in the mood to see MB to pick apart the "stoppability" of the Ducks goals (though he basically came to the same conclusion that I did...that KK really wasn't responsible for any of them). 

There's definitely goals that have almost everyone saying "Jeez how did he not get THAT one?!", but I think freeze-framing moments where a lot is going on and everything is moving incredibly fast and saying "well if he had just put his stick down right here" or offering some other "suggestion" is just kinda lousy (and often unfair) practice. 

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's definitely goals that have almost everyone saying "Jeez how did he not get THAT one?!", but I think freeze-framing moments where a lot is going on and everything is moving incredibly fast and saying "well if he had just put his stick down right here" or offering some other "suggestion" is just kinda lousy (and often unfair) practice. 

Agreed.  It's like arguing that a baseball player should have swung his bat lower/higher so he made contact with the ball and he could have hit a home run instead of striking out.