2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

9 hours ago, PacificDevil said:

1-8 was great, pens vs caps in 2nd round getting ridiculously annoying for fans of those teams. Back in the day Colo-Detroit was Conference Finals only occurrence due to 1-8 and re-seeding 

1-8 has always and will always make the most sense to me.

But I must add, people who complain about who their team has to play in what round annoy the sh!t out of me. Enjoy the fact your team is so successful and play the team they have to play, you entitled asshat!!

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I expect a lot of crying from Philly fans in the comments section over Patrick not even making the top 10 :lol:

I'm still very happy we chose Nico, but I can't argue that you could see him as #3 based on performance in the first year. 

Hopefully there's much more to come. I believe there is. 

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I expect a lot of crying from Philly fans in the comments section over Patrick not even making the top 10 :lol:

Honestly this sort of thing is just stupid.  They are doing a re-draft of players who were selected in different draft years.  That literally makes no sense.  Barzal was drafted 2 years ahead of Nico so you are comparing a guy who has had a bit of a head start on guys like Nolan and Nico in terms of physical development.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Last night's OKC/Jazz game was more exciting than the entire NHL playoffs so far.

Not sure what you want from the playoffs honestly, the Leafs-Bruins series has been fantastic, Philly-Pitt was just good dumb fun with the volume of goals scored, Vegas continued their cinderella story with a sweep, Columbus-Washington saw a ton of overtime, Colorado-Nashville had some good bite and pushback to it, I've really enjoyed this opening round so far and it's setting up some great 2nd round matchups.

Winnipeg-Nashville is gonna be phenomenal, I always watch Pens-Caps, and the Atlantic series is gonna be a battle.

• Like 3

Honestly this sort of thing is just stupid.  They are doing a re-draft of players who were selected in different draft years.  That literally makes no sense.  Barzal was drafted 2 years ahead of Nico so you are comparing a guy who has had a bit of a head start on guys like Nolan and Nico in terms of physical development.

071801c89ec091ae4a25c3ef07a31199.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last night's OKC/Jazz game was more exciting than the entire NHL playoffs so far.

Lmfao. Right.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yup, it is. But I played along. 

7 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

Just a massive fail and this certainly isn't the place for this kind of post.  Have to  wonder just why you would even bother posting something like this here,  it makes less than zero sense.  If you hate what's going on so much turn the page and move on but do everyone a favor and don't spam this forum with garbage.

• Like 1

All out war @BOS tonight; I wonder what kind of officiating we will see tonight.  I cannot keep count of the all the non-calls during this postseason.  Will it be called tightly or will they be allowed some leeway?  And all the pickiness at faceoffs has to stop!

On 4/23/2018 at 8:34 PM, thecoffeecake said:

I'm just curious, because I think I'm in the extreme minority at least on this board, but does anyone else really like this playoff format? I know people are really unhappy about Winnipeg and Nashville in the second round, but I think this format is fantastic. I love the league trying to cultivate rivalries by forcing each team to get through their division first. And it makes sense; be the best team in your region to compete to be the best team on your side of the continent to compete to be the best team in the league. I love it. Another Pittsburgh/Washington matchup would be fantastic. 

The only thing I would change is if the wild card teams aren't from the same division, scrap the second wild card automatically matching up with the best team in the conference and stick each team in their division's bracket. If for instance Florida had won the first wild card instead of Philly, doesn't make much sense to put us through the Atlantic and them the Metro. 

I absolutely detest this format, it makes the regular season mean even less. What the hell is the point of playing well all year just so you can meet a tougher opponent in the second round while two other teams with less points face off against each other? It's fvcking stupid. 

We have Vegas (109) vs San Jose (100) and Nashville (117) vs Winnipeg (114) what the hell is the point of being the best team in the league all regular season if it provides no benefit in the playoffs? Why should two teams with less points than the other two teams get the benefit of facing one another instead of playing tougher teams? They did nothing to earn that benefit. 

They did it this way so morons who can't figure out how to reseed after each round can fill out stupid brackets before the playoffs start. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

I absolutely detest this format, it makes the regular season mean even less. What the hell is the point of playing well all year just so you can meet a tougher opponent in the second round while two other teams with less points face off against each other? It's fvcking stupid. 
We have Vegas (109) vs San Jose (100) and Nashville (117) vs Winnipeg (114) what the hell is the point of being the best team in the league all regular season if it provides no benefit in the playoffs? Why should two teams with less points than the other two teams get the benefit of facing one another instead of playing tougher teams? They did nothing to earn that benefit. 
They did it this way so morons who can't figure out how to reseed after each round can fill out stupid brackets before the playoffs start. 

Agreed. I detest this format and have from day one. Go back to the 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 format. They won’t though, because the people who run the NHL are morons.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

If you're the best team in the conference, you're gonna get through, and home ice is the advantage you win by having a strong regular season. If Nashville doesn't get passed Winnipeg, they weren't the best team in the west. There's no parade or banner for getting to the conference final. There's no "benefit" of coming out of a weaker division. 

30 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

If you're the best team in the conference, you're gonna get through, and home ice is the advantage you win by having a strong regular season. If Nashville doesn't get passed Winnipeg, they weren't the best team in the west. There's no parade or banner for getting to the conference final. There's no "benefit" of coming out of a weaker division. 

How does San Jose not benefit getting to play Vegas instead of Nashville? 

It definitely benefited Ottawa(98) last year when they got to play Boston (95) in the first round and then play the Rangers (102) in the second round when you had Washington (118) vs Pittsburgh (111) in the second round. Pittsburgh was the second best team in the regular season and they weren't even rewarded with home ice in the second round of the playoffs. They won anyway but that doesn't defeat the fact that this system doesn't reward regular season play.

It's a joke and if it actually affected the Devils you damn well wouldn't be happy about it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

There is enormous financial upside to playing in the conference finals rather than losing to the 2nd best team in the Western Conference in the 2nd round.
Let's say Nashville gets through Winnepeg in a long, exhausting 7-round series. They'll now play in the conference finals against a team who had an easier path to get there, despite having a less successful regular season. It isn't fair to Nashville, it isn't fair to Winnipeg. 
The team who won the Presidents Trophy has the hardest 2nd round matchup in the NHL. 
Read that again slowly if you have to.
It's idiotic. Period.

It renders the regular season even more meaningless than it already it is. It makes NO sense.

• Like 3