2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

LittleBallofHate

45 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

If you want to use his logic, then the Penguins shouldn't win another cup in 60 years since they won 2 in the row.

Technically, no. 

The odds would still be 1 out of 31 each year. Further, the first win could have been at the end of the first cycle of 31, and the 2nd win could have been the beginning of another cycle of 31, so it doesn't add up. 

The bad news is, we last won in 2003 so we don't get it again until 2034. The good news is, we don't have to worry about Taylor Hall re-signing and we can all start planning our celebrations for 2034. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Technically, no. 

The odds would still be 1 out of 31 each year. Further, the first win could have been at the end of the first cycle of 31, and the 2nd win could have been the beginning of another cycle of 31, so it doesn't add up. 

The bad news is, we last won in 2003 so we don't get it again until 2034. The good news is, we don't have to worry about Taylor Hall re-signing and we can all start planning our celebrations for 2034. 

Until they add more expansion teams lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’ll take the atmosphere and passion I’m seeing in Winnipeg over Atlanta or Carolina any day...

A loud building isn't worth developing the game in our country. Flash vs. substance. Who cares if Quebec will be louder than Carolina when you're gonna watch maybe 3-6 periods of hockey from there a year, and maybe go to the building once in your life (personally I'd go to a game in Quebec every two or three years, but that's beyond point). 

The proportion of Americans in the NHL grows every year. The talent gap between the US and Canada shrinks every year. Without experimenting in the non traditional markets, we might not have Matthews, Gostisbehere, or Quinn Hughes, who could all factor into our first Olympic gold in 40+ years at some point. You don't have Coleman or Noesen or Jon Merrill. Hell, Colorado wasn't a traditional hockey market before the Avs, and from there you don't have Ben Bishop or Troy Terry. The list goes on and on. 

You've had over 100 NHLers come from non traditional hockey markets now. You want to trade that growth for a louder building? Come on, now. And the thing is, it wasn't too long ago everyone was crying for the same thing to happen in Nashville and Tampa. We would've missed out big time by shipping them north. 

People in Raleigh like the Canes, but very few markets are going to sustain support with the teams they've put on the ice. Blaming fans, who by and large act the same, because people are people like everyone else, is an easy thing for owners and players to do when they can't build a product people want to support. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The crowds were awesome in 2006 down there. I was down there for the Devils games in the second round.

The problem is they did nothing to maintain the fan base after winning the cup. They have made the playoffs 1 time in the past 11 seasons since then. That's not going to put people in seats in many markets nowadays. Including our own team. 

I was down there for two games in 2014 just before the Olympic break and they had good energetic crowds both night.   They’ve just not done anything recently to maintain what they built up in previous years

The President's Trophy winner jinx continues.  Rinne may never bring NSH to the promised land.  He must be allergic to big games.  The WCF matchup is especially intriguing:  two very fast teams who can play with some physicality, solid goaltending, crazy crowds.  The ECF will be a more grind it out one, intrguing in its own way.  Both series will have something for everyone, and maybe two game 7's.

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Calling my shot now -- Pekka Rinne is a starting goaltender in the Metro next year. Philly likely, Islanders possibly, Carolina semi-possibly. 

And it'll suck. 

Can't even imagine how much abuse a guy named Pekka gets in New York or Philadelphia. 

I bet Nashville would have much rather played San Jose and let Vegas deal with Winnipeg in the second round but the hell with working for an advantage during the regular season in the playoffs. 

Winnipeg vs Vegas should be a good series. I think the Vegas luck runs out next round. 

Don't care who comes out of the east but I still think it would be funny to see Ovi and the Caps get swept after finally making it to the conference finals after all these years. 

I looking forward to see how the caps do against the lightning.  I have a feeling they might make quick work of them as well.  I don't hate or like the caps living in Baltimore no one really cares about them so I don't have to deal with annoying fans.

I want to see a Jets Lightning final.