2018 Pre-Season Thread

NJDfan1711

I really like that Whalers jersey, BUT... why would they pay homage to a team/city that isn't theirs?  You don't see the Calgary Flames wearing throwback Atlanta Flames jerseys.  Or the Coyotes wearing Winnipeg Jets for 3rds.  Just seems stupid to me, and kind of a slap at your own fanbase and current hometown.  I'm actually pretty shocked the NHL would want and/or allow this.  Does it happen in other sports?  I don't recall the Nationals wearing Expos sh!t. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I really like that Whalers jersey, BUT... why would they pay homage to a team/city that isn't theirs?  You don't see the Calgary Flames wearing throwback Atlanta Flames jerseys.  Or the Coyotes wearing Winnipeg Jets for 3rds.  Just seems stupid to me, and kind of a slap at your own fanbase and current hometown.  I'm actually pretty shocked the NHL would want and/or allow this.  Does it happen in other sports?  I don't recall the Nationals wearing Expos sh!t. 

money grab - plain and simple

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I share the same feelings too.  It makes little sense other than what sundstrom said; it is a money grab.  This is why I wouldn't want the Devils to wear a Scouts or Rockies throwback.

There have and still are rumors that new ownership is possibly looking into moving the team in the near future.  I know when Karmanos sold the team to the new guy that there was talk about having an owner that will keep the team in Raleigh and all that fuzzy warm stuff.  However it seems like the new guy isn't someone who is willing to stick it out on losing huge amounts of money on a sub-par team year after year.  That's why there is talk that Hartford may indeed one day get a team back sooner rather than later and it may be the Canes.

Me personally, I think they would move to Houston before Hartford, but that's what I have been hearing.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I see it as just more paying a little homage to the franchise's history, having some fun, and yeah, looking to make some money...and admittedly, the old Whalers jerseys are kind of cool (the 90s re-designs were cool too, but the classic greens have that nostalgic feel).  I've seen a fan here and there in their building (on TV) wearing Whalers gear. 

I would get a kick out of the Devils breaking out KC Scouts jerseys one night, for the hell of it...but I'm not going to pretend that I'm pining for it, and I don't see it ever happening...besides, I love the fact that the old Devils whites are making an appearance this season...that alone is plenty good enough for me. 

And serious kudos to MD2020 for calling THAT one.  Damn. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

money grab - plain and simple

I guess, but who the fvck is gonna buy it?  I really can't say I'd even consider buying a Rockies or Scouts jersey.  I just have no connection to it.  I appreciate that that's where our team came from, but it just doesn't matter to me other than a distant form of lineage. 

37 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I share the same feelings too.  It makes little sense other than what sundstrom said; it is a money grab.  This is why I wouldn't want the Devils to wear a Scouts or Rockies throwback.

There have and still are rumors that new ownership is possibly looking into moving the team in the near future.  I know when Karmanos sold the team to the new guy that there was talk about having an owner that will keep the team in Raleigh and all that fuzzy warm stuff.  However it seems like the new guy isn't someone who is willing to stick it out on losing huge amounts of money on a sub-par team year after year.  That's why there is talk that Hartford may indeed one day get a team back sooner rather than later and it may be the Canes.

Me personally, I think they would move to Houston before Hartford, but that's what I have been hearing.

Ditto.  I have nothing against the Rockies or Scouts per se, but they don't interest me at all either.  I'm pretty indifferent to them both. 

I can't really see the Canes, or any team really, moving back to Hartford.  I know it's a nice market and their fans were/are dedicated it seems, but I just don't think it's big enough, and probably too much competition in the surrounding areas when you figure there's NYR/NYI/BUF/BOS all relatively close to that region.

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I see it as just more paying a little homage to the franchise's history, having some fun, and yeah, looking to make some money...and admittedly, the old Whalers jerseys are kind of cool (the 90s re-designs were cool too, but the classic greens have that nostalgic feel).  I've seen a fan here and there in their building (on TV) wearing Whalers gear. 

I would get a kick out of the Devils breaking out KC Scouts jerseys one night, for the hell of it...but I'm not going to pretend that I'm pining for it, and I don't see it ever happening...besides, I love the fact that the old Devils whites are making an appearance this season...that alone is plenty good enough for me. 

And serious kudos to MD2020 for calling THAT one.  Damn. 

As I mentioned I do like the jerseys too, for some reason even though they are of similar/same colors, I really don't like the Canucks current uni's at all, both somehow find the Whalers jerseys pretty cool.  Maybe it's just the retro/nostalgic aspect of it that appeals to me, who knows, but as I said, I couldn't really care less about the Rockies or Scouts.  I couldn't understand us paying tribute to them, if even just for monetary purposes, so I really don't understand the Canes doing it either.

• Like 1

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I guess, but who the fvck is gonna buy it?  I really can't say I'd even consider buying a Rockies or Scouts jersey.  I just have no connection to it.  I appreciate that that's where our team came from, but it just doesn't matter to me other than a distant form of lineage. 

Ditto.  I have nothing against the Rockies or Scouts per se, but they don't interest me at all either.  I'm pretty indifferent to them both. 

I can't really see the Canes, or any team really, moving back to Hartford.  I know it's a nice market and their fans were/are dedicated it seems, but I just don't think it's big enough, and probably too much competition in the surrounding areas when you figure there's NYR/NYI/BUF/BOS all relatively close to that region.

As I mentioned I do like the jerseys too, for some reason even though they are of similar/same colors, I really don't like the Canucks current uni's at all, both somehow find the Whalers jerseys pretty cool.  Maybe it's just the retro/nostalgic aspect of it that appeals to me, who knows, but as I said, I couldn't really care less about the Rockies or Scouts.  I couldn't understand us paying tribute to them, if even just for monetary purposes, so I really don't understand the Canes doing it either.

This is one of those "no real right or wrong" kind of deals...for the most part, you're either into this kind of stuff, or you're not.  I see this Whalers "fourth" jersey as something kind of fun and not meant to be taken too too seriously, or read in to too much (and we'll see how they sell).  That fanbase will let their interest (or lack thereof) be known with their wallets. 

I have some Scouts and Rockies jerseys, and for a while I was definitely into wearing them (the Scouts jerseys very 70s and very garish, but I've always dug the Rockies jerseys), but once I got into GW/GIs, I got much more into those.  It's been quite a while since I wore one to a game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

I’m just the opposite, I hated both black Islanders jerseys. One was a trash basketball concept, the other was inspired by the black uniforms of a basketball team they share their trash building with.

EDIT: I really hate the NBA, can ya tell?

what is this NBA you speak of?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That’s how I feel, to the letter. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Only in the 80's does a band with the name Wang Chung become successful.

Dance Hall Days is a decent tune though.

Please, if a bunch of white guys had a band called "Wang Chung" today, they'd be publicly humiliated, lose their record contract, and have to give up music. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't see it too, but those are the rumors.  Like I said I see Houston getting a team way before Hartford for the reasons you stated.  Plus they would still need a new arena (XL Center is just not up to snuff for NHL anymore) and CT is going through a rough time financially from what I hear, so that is pie in the sky thinking that even gets done.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is one of those "no real right or wrong" kind of deals...for the most part, you're either into this kind of stuff, or you're not.  I see this Whalers "fourth" jersey as something kind of fun and not meant to be taken too too seriously, or read in to too much (and we'll see how they sell).  That fanbase will let their interest (or lack thereof) be known with their wallets. 

I have some Scouts and Rockies jerseys, and for a while I was definitely into wearing them (the Scouts jerseys very 70s and very garish, but I've always dug the Rockies jerseys), but once I got into GW/GIs, I got much more into those.  It's been quite a while since I wore one to a game. 

I used to own a bunch of Rockies and Scouts for a bit back about 8-10 years or so ago.  I wore them back when there would be either no one else or at most 1 other person with a Rockies or Scouts jersey on either.  It definitely grabbed people's attention back then.  These days I see about 3-5 people wearing one or the other (or both) and many times they are these god-awful reproductions where the mountain is in a horrible weird "mound" shape or one of those Mitchell & Ness dress jerseys.

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Please, if a bunch of white guys had a band called "Wang Chung" today, they'd be publicly humiliated, lose their record contract, and have to give up music. 

You 100% know more than a few will scream cultural misappropriation to that name.

What's interesting is that their original name was Huang Chung which is Mandarin for the first note in the Chinese music scale.  It is pronounced the same way but when they signed a new record deal right before they got big the record company forced them to change their name because too many people were mispronouncing them as "Hung Chung"

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You 100% know more than a few will scream cultural misappropriation to that name.

What's interesting is that their original name was Huang Chung which is Mandarin for the first note in the Chinese music scale.  It is pronounced the same way but when they signed a new record deal right before they got big the record company forced them to change their name because too many people were mispronouncing them as "Hung Chung"

I think I like Hung Chung even better. 

That's what she said. 

18 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I used to own a bunch of Rockies and Scouts for a bit back about 8-10 years or so ago.  I wore them back when there would be either no one else or at most 1 other person with a Rockies or Scouts jersey on either.  It definitely grabbed people's attention back then.  These days I see about 3-5 people wearing one or the other (or both) and many times they are these god-awful reproductions where the mountain is in a horrible weird "mound" shape or one of those Mitchell & Ness dress jerseys.

My first foray into Rockies' jerseys was when I bought the M&N Ramage jersey (the one I traded to you for the Dean preseason GW)...that was a LONG time ago...I want to say that I bought that in 2004 (I can't remember).  We've been over the M&N "fit"...heavy material, mini-skirt-like fit...I segued into CCM versions of Rockies jerseys (authentics that look nice, but on the blues have incorrectly proportioned stripes)...I liked wearing those for a while (especially my home and away Resches), but as we've discussed, one thing that was definitely annoying was hearing occasional boos from brain-damaged Devils fans who were convinced that I was wearing a Rangers jersey (from a distance).  I still dig my Rockies stuff (also have a McDonald, a misspelled MacDonald, and a blank white), but just don't see myself breaking one out anytime soon.  And yeah, a lot of bad knockoffs of Rockies jerseys for sure. 

I don't mind the white Scouts jerseys, and I have one of those (CCM replica #9 Paiement, no name, just the number), but the blue Scouts jerseys are REALLY hard on the eyes.  I have a M&N Paiement that I bought super-cheap on ebay (it's a legit jersey), that I don't think that I've ever worn. 

18 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I know that your story is the correct one, but the other one I've heard (in a couple of places, oddly enough) is that the Wang Chung moniker wasn't actually Chinese in origin, but the sound one makes when nailing a couple of hard notes on a guitar (strumming down, then up):  WAAAAAAAAAAAAANG CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUNG

Think I prefer the Huang version...

I agree with the sentiment on the Whalers jerseys. With such a tenuous situation with ownership/fanbase/attendance down in Carolina (and all the rumors that come with it), it just seems kind of tone deaf; not sure if any 'Canes fans feel any pride in the green/blue/white, nor do I blame them.

• Like 1

Interesting reason why we have so many afternoon games this year - quotes are Hugh Weber: 

"We happen to be one that we've been in front of the league the last five years saying 'hey, use us any way you can'.

"This is a pretty amazing opportunity for us and also for our players to get out and engage with these fans that will be watching a lot of the Devils family over the season."

So keen are the Devils to tap into the European market that they have scheduled a franchise-record 12 afternoon home games this season, all of which Weber said will be broadcast live at primetime in Europe. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl-devils-hope-european-road-trip-paves-road-130342573--nhl.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1