2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:37 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seven straight pointless games for Kovy...also a -6 in those games, and is now -12 on the season (tied for worst on his team).  5 G in 21 GP on his season.  Pretty close to how I thought his return to the NHL would go...he does have time to turn it around, but suffice it to say that he's a long way from playing on a heavily stacked team in an inferior league. 

Make that 9 games without a point for Ilya...

Image result for ferris bueller nine times

And there's this:

https://pilotonline.com/sports/hockey/professional/article_6a3efa4a-cebd-58ab-89b7-195606c24427.html

Kovalchuk, only 23 games into his Kings’ tenure, has been relegated to the fourth line and was benched in the third period Sunday to complete a career-high ninth straight game without a point.

Guess it will be time for him to start feeling "homesick" again...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Make that 9 games without a point for Ilya...

Image result for ferris bueller nine times

And there's this:

https://pilotonline.com/sports/hockey/professional/article_6a3efa4a-cebd-58ab-89b7-195606c24427.html

Kovalchuk, only 23 games into his Kings’ tenure, has been relegated to the fourth line and was benched in the third period Sunday to complete a career-high ninth straight game without a point.

Guess it will be time for him to start feeling "homesick" again...

I still gotta wonder if he would be doing better if he wasn't on that dumpster fire of a team.  I am not saying he is without blame, but hard to get anything going when you are getting destroyed most nights.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I still gotta wonder if he would be doing better if he wasn't on that dumpster fire of a team.  I am not saying he is without blame, but hard to get anything going when you are getting destroyed most nights.

The fact that he's been dropped down in the lineup and benched leads me to believe his coach thinks he's as much a part of what's ailing the Kings as anyone else. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The fact that he's been dropped down in the lineup and benched leads me to believe his coach thinks he's as much a part of what's ailing the Kings as anyone else. 

That's fair, but he still leads the team in scoring which is an area they have had difficulty in this season.  I haven't watched the Kings at all this season so I cannot speak from personally seeing them, but I wonder if maybe it is another situation where a player becomes a whipping boy for the rest of the team.

Again, I could be wrong about this and if I am, I will gladly admit it.  Just seems odd to me that their best offensive player is getting the blame for a team that is struggling to score.  From what I have heard from others, their issues can be summed up succinctly by that the entire team is just old and slow.

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's fair, but he still leads the team in scoring which is an area they have had difficulty in this season.  I haven't watched the Kings at all this season so I cannot speak from personally seeing them, but I wonder if maybe it is another situation where a player becomes a whipping boy for the rest of the team.

Again, I could be wrong about this and if I am, I will gladly admit it.  Just seems odd to me that their best offensive player is getting the blame for a team that is struggling to score.  From what I have heard from others, their issues can be summed up succinctly by that the entire team is just old and slow.

His numbers are a little misleading...9 of his 14 points came in one four-game burst.  There's also five guys within two points of each other atop the Kings' total points leaders, so it's not like he's leading the Kings in scoring by a country mile.  He's been held without a point in nine straight (as you saw) and in 15 out of 23 games overall.  He also has the second-worst +/- rating on the team, at -13...of course, that's not always the best number to read into, but it really looks like he's having a tough time out there.  I thought he would get off to a fast start and then tail off, and that's kinda-sorta how it's gone...but I readily admit, I was expecting more of a "Wow this is looking like a great signing by the Kings kind of start!" (say 10-12 goals approaching 20 games), and then a dropoff...I was thinking 25 goals and 50-55 points by season's end, as long as he played in most of the Kings' games.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Is alzner done? 

Lord knows we have the cap space..

He is 100% done. He’s really bad. People on here don’t like Greene, Alzner is worse imo. I live in Quebec and watch the Habs a fair amount, i’d say 45-50 games per season (I watch to see them lose lol), and Alzner is real bad. His contract is also trash.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

Honestly don't know why Hextall is the one whose head rolls in this scenario (especially before Hakstol), all things considered I think Hextall has done a really good job with the Flyers. Talk about a team that's going to be a murderer's row of players in a couple years, it's unfortunately the Flyers, I really like the players they have coming through the pipeline and the team they have now is pretty good too, albeit underachieving. The only thing I can blame on Hextall is not finding a solution in goal since he got the reigns, although it's always seemed like their plan is to have stopgaps until Carter Hart is ready to go.

9 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Honestly don't know why Hextall is the one whose head rolls in this scenario (especially before Hakstol), all things considered I think Hextall has done a really good job with the Flyers. Talk about a team that's going to be a murderer's row of players in a couple years, it's unfortunately the Flyers, I really like the players they have coming through the pipeline and the team they have now is pretty good too, albeit underachieving. The only thing I can blame on Hextall is not finding a solution in goal since he got the reigns, although it's always seemed like their plan is to have stopgaps until Carter Hart is ready to go.

I’ll bet ownership wanted Hakstol canned and Hextall refused to do it, so they sacked him instead. The new GM will hire his own coach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’ll bet ownership wanted Hakstol canned and Hextall refused to do it, so they sacked him instead. The new GM will hire his own coach.

Would certainly make a lot more sense. Hopefully they grab someone like Mike Futa or Chuck Fletcher instead of Ron Francis, Francis always seemed like a good one in Carolina to me and I wouldn't want to see him with the capital the Flyers have.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1