2018-19 Around the League Thread

jagknife

The amazing thing about Chiarelli is that the Hall for Larsson trade might not be the worst move he's made as the Oilers GM.  There's trading the pick that became  (1) Barzal (or Kyle Connor or Chabot) for Griffin Reinhart; (2) signing Milan Lucic and (3) trading Jordan Eberle for Strome/Ryan Spooner. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The amazing thing about Chiarelli is that the Hall for Larsson trade might not be the worst move he's made as the Oilers GM.  There's trading the pick that became  (1) Barzal (or Kyle Connor or Chabot) for Griffin Reinhart; (2) signing Milan Lucic and (3) trading Jordan Eberle for Strome/Ryan Spooner. 

He’s also the same guy who brought you hits such as Tyler Seguin for Loui Erickson and Reilly Smith, along with Johnny Boychuck for an autograped Mike Bossy sweater!

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Truth be told the NHL is still an 'old boys club'.  

Chiarelli must know someone who knows someone.  Must be very buddy-buddy with ownership.

I think it's absolutely that.  There's only 31 of them in the entire world.  Most of them have a ton of money, and a bunch of them have circulated around the league.  

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I think it's absolutely that.  There's only 31 of them in the entire world.  Most of them have a ton of money, and a bunch of them have circulated around the league.  

I don't think it's that. The "old boys club" doesn't care much for people who cost them money and destroy their investment. If that was the only the only thing protecting him, he'd have been out on his ass a while ago.

19 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I will be elated if Hall signs for anything less than 10M per year.  I just don't see it.

You’re probably right, and I’d throw Hall the extra cash to ensure he stays, but if top wingers are gonna be pulling in 10-11 a year, I can’t wait to see what the next top center up for a new deal gets....

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You’re probably right, and I’d throw Hall the extra cash to ensure he stays, but if top wingers are gonna be pulling in 10-11 a year, I can’t wait to see what the next top center up for a new deal gets....

My guess is that he'll probably get the Seguin deal perhaps accounting for the lower taxes Seguin has to pay, so long as the team is willing to pay a lot in upfront money in certain years. 

• Like 1

Seven straight pointless games for Kovy...also a -6 in those games, and is now -12 on the season (tied for worst on his team).  5 G in 21 GP on his season.  Pretty close to how I thought his return to the NHL would go...he does have time to turn it around, but suffice it to say that he's a long way from playing on a heavily stacked team in an inferior league. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seven straight pointless games for Kovy...also a -6 in those games, and is now -12 on the season (tied for worst on his team).  5 G in 21 GP on his season.  Pretty close to how I thought his return to the NHL would go...he does have time to turn it around, but suffice it to say that he's a long way from playing on a heavily stacked team in an inferior league. 

Point total is roughly equivalent to Hischier, but Nico has played 5 less games. 

5 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

He’ll walk on that charge...punching a Rangers fan isn’t even a crime, it’s an obligation. Especially if you’re wearing your dad’s Todd Bertuzzi jersey. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Except the whole team sucks and underperforming BIG TIME this season. Kopitar is on pace for 36 pts, he had 92 last season. Carter on pace for 39 pts... Doughty on pace for 47pts...he had 60 last season... Brown is on pace for 46... had 61 last season, etc etc

So i get while it's great to focus on Kovy struggling... it's unfair to assume that he's the problem when the whole team is showing poor results

Edited by SterioDesign

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Except the whole team sucks and underperforming BIG TIME this season. Kopitar is on pace for 36 pts, he had 92 last season. Carter on pace for 39 pts... Doughty on pace for 47pts...he had 60 last season... Brown is on pace for 46... had 61 last season, etc etc

So i get while it's great to focus on Kovy struggling... it's unfair to assume that he's the problem when the whole team is showing poor results

Who said he's the problem? He's playing pretty much as most people expected I think

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Never implied or suggested the bolded in my post...but it's not like he's been much of a help either.  A four-game burst is really making his nothing-special numbers look much better than they've really been.  He's been held pointless in 13 out of 21 games. 

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Who said he's the problem? He's playing pretty much as most people expected I think

I think he underestimated how difficult it would be to jump back into the NHL as a 35-year-old, after having gotten used to fattening up for several years in an easier league.  I can understand taking a flyer on him, but I never would've gone three years.  Depending on my team's situation, I would've preferred one, maybe two with VERY gritted teeth.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think he underestimated how difficult it would be to jump back into the NHL as a 35-year-old, after having gotten used to fattening up for several years in an easier league.  I can understand taking a flyer on him, but I never would've gone three years.  Depending on my team's situation, I would've preferred one, maybe two with VERY gritted teeth.

Did he say something to lead you to that conclusion? Like that he thought he would come back and dominate? 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Did he say something to lead you to that conclusion? Like that he thought he would come back and dominate? 

I didn't say that he thought he would come back and dominate, but I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he could pick up where he left off...be about 90% or so what he was in 2011-12.  I don't think he's a dummy by any means...I'm sure he at least knew coming back to the NHL in his mid-30s after some time away would be more challenging than what he faced in the KHL.  But it wouldn't surprise me if he's surprised by how tough it's been for him in the early going.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn't say that he thought he would come back and dominate, but I wouldn't be surprised if he thought he could pick up where he left off...be about 90% or so what he was in 2011-12.  I don't think he's a dummy by any means...I'm sure he at least knew coming back to the NHL in his mid-30s after some time away would be more challenging than what he faced in the KHL.  But it wouldn't surprise me if he's surprised by how tough it's been for him in the early going.

Gotcha. Wasn’t sure if he had forecasted his success, he is a pompous ass so I wouldn’t put it past him.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2018 at 10:25 AM, mfitz804 said:

He’ll walk on that charge...punching a Rangers fan isn’t even a crime, it’s an obligation. Especially if you’re wearing your dad’s Todd Bertuzzi jersey. 

And let's be real with ourselves, we know how Rangers fans get when they're "good", they're insufferable. The news stories will always describe the person who "won" the fight as the savage brute and will never go into what started it, but we know the exact scenario of what happened, it's a 99% certainty he was provoked by some red-faced fresh-haircutted (everyone at MSG always look like they just got a cop-style haircut purposely for that game) dipsh!t Rangers fan.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1