Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Schneider is back, let the tank begin.

Don’t forget about the bye week and all star break.... maybe we’ll get lucky and one of the backup starters we have will be traded for Big Mac...

shut up I can dream can’t I?!

Edited by jagknife

11 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

when you're calling up kurtis gabriel and nathan bastian, and benching bratt for the majority of the 3rd in favor of playing bastian though... makes you wonder

Bratt hasn’t exactly been earth shattering, but he didn’t deserve benching for any reason. I thought he played a decent game today, actually. 

Honestly I don’t feel we played bad, if we lost this game in a normal season, I’d just chalk it up as you win done, you lose some. 

But you have to win some for that logic to be valid. 

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Bratt hasn’t exactly been earth shattering, but he didn’t deserve benching for any reason. I thought he played a decent game today, actually. 

Honestly I don’t feel we played bad, if we lost this game in a normal season, I’d just chalk it up as you win done, you lose some. 

But you have to win some for that logic to be valid. 

yeah, would normally chalk it up to playing an elite goaltender, and sometimes your goalie isn't gonna be at his best... it's just that it's the case every night for us. and if the opposing goaltender isn't elite we often make them look like it.  oh well

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

And Blackwood sent to Bing. Good move by Hynes. 😂

So now we're back to Schneider and Kinkaid. I guess the Devils are aiming for a top 3 pick afterall.

47 minutes ago, moustic said:

It makes sense to let him play rather than having him sit around.

The move that will make no sense will come later when he doesn’t come back after the bye week. 

That said, I fully expected it and I don’t see what choice they have unless they were ready to waive one of the other two. And that decision is above Hynes’ pay grade. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It makes sense to let him play rather than having him sit around.

The move that will make no sense will come later when he doesn’t come back after the bye week. 

That said, I fully expected it and I don’t see what choice they have unless they were ready to waive one of the other two. And that decision is above Hynes’ pay grade. 

Got it. Yea I only saw the first initial twitter feed that didnt give an explanation. When Schneider comes back, Blackwood will likely be sent packing to the AHL because you cant keep a $6M goalie in the AHL indefinitely (despite however much he might suck).  And Kinkaid wont go either, although I dont see Kinkaid on this team next year which would free up the roster spot for Blackwood at that time. 

36 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Got it. Yea I only saw the first initial twitter feed that didnt give an explanation. When Schneider comes back, Blackwood will likely be sent packing to the AHL because you cant keep a $6M goalie in the AHL indefinitely (despite however much he might suck).  And Kinkaid wont go either, although I dont see Kinkaid on this team next year which would free up the roster spot for Blackwood at that time. 

Yup. And I don’t see us being able to trade either of them, unless some cap-strapped team looking to dump salary will take KK in exchange for a LTIR contract and then release him. 

So you’ve probably seen all the Blackwood you’re gonna see, at least until 5 games from now when Cory gets “injured” again. 

He's got a no movement clause, and he's signed for two more years after this at $6 AAV, but it seems like David Backes presents a pretty good opportunity for the Devils to use some of their cap space to acquire young assets since god knows we're not using it elsewhere except to try and sign Hall to an extension. 

Was thinking something like Greene and Boyle to Boston for Backes, Boston's 2019 first and maybe Brandon Carlo.  Trading Greene makes it close to a wash next year, and you've only got that terrible $6 million cap hit for one more year after that.

20 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Was thinking something like Greene and Boyle to Boston for Backes, Boston's 2019 first and maybe Brandon Carlo.  Trading Greene makes it close to a wash next year, and you've only got that terrible $6 million cap hit for one more year after that.

BOSTON college loyalty only goes so Far!  Boston needs a somewhat nhl caliber backup for the playoffs

14 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

BOSTON college loyalty only goes so Far!  Boston needs a somewhat nhl caliber backup for the playoffs

Rask went down, havent seen anything on the extent of injury or not.

They could be a candidate for at least taking KK and thinking with a competent defense in front of him, he could be serviceable back up to Halak

44 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Rask went down, havent seen anything on the extent of injury or not.

They could be a candidate for at least taking KK and thinking with a competent defense in front of him, he could be serviceable back up to Halak

I heard he was concussed. I don't have a source though. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

He's got a no movement clause, and he's signed for two more years after this at $6 AAV, but it seems like David Backes presents a pretty good opportunity for the Devils to use some of their cap space to acquire young assets since god knows we're not using it elsewhere except to try and sign Hall to an extension. 

I was going to say that the Bruins don't have to get rid of Backes via trade, but a buyout saves them almost nothing on the cap in year 1 and only 2.4M on the cap in year 2.  So maybe they do.  Still, since a buyout saves them nothing, they can likely pick up half the contract and move it along with a minor asset (something worth a 2nd round pick or less) for nothing.  I don't think they are so cap-strapped that they need someone to take on the whole thing - they will have about $20M in cap space this summer needing to re-sign Chara, McAvoy, Heinen, Carlo, and Donato.  I think they can do that and also upgrade one position.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

I was going to say that the Bruins don't have to get rid of Backes via trade, but a buyout saves them almost nothing on the cap in year 1 and only 2.4M on the cap in year 2.  So maybe they do.  Still, since a buyout saves them nothing, they can likely pick up half the contract and move it along with a minor asset (something worth a 2nd round pick or less) for nothing.  I don't think they are so cap-strapped that they need someone to take on the whole thing - they will have about $20M in cap space this summer needing to re-sign Chara, McAvoy, Heinen, Carlo, and Donato.  I think they can do that and also upgrade one position.

You hear that the Bruins want to go big game hunting in free agency, like maybe Stone or Duchene, or perhaps even Karlsson if they make it there.  Seems like you have to move out Backes to do that.