Devils 2018-2019 news and notes thread

MadDog2020

3 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Are we going to draft a low second round pick who is better than mojo. Who is playing at a top 6 Level right now and for the  last Month? I doubt it... resign him..Unless we do better than a low 2nd rounder.. no pressure

He also has to want to re-sign here. Who knows if Shero has reached out and he wasn't interested. 

Trading him and re-signing him for next season aren't exactly mutually exclusive.  I feel like you have to get something for him; especially with the way he's been playing.  Then try to sign him back July 1st. If he likes NJ enough to sign during this season, why wouldn't he want a shot at the cup with a contender then a contract with NJ in the summer?  I don't think anyone is going to throw 8 years at him.

12 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

At the end of the day the smart thing to do is for Shero to sit with Mojo and see where his head is at and see what his intentions are. Then go from there. 

His intentions are probably to go wherever he can get the best contract for himself, especially as it doesn’t appear that he’s established any ties to the area.

It’s also pretty clear that Shero is aware of his intentions one way or the other, which is why he’s reportedly aggressively trying to trade him.  

55 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

It's pretty amazing how 90% of the posters on here were saying we'd be lucky to get a 3rd for Mojo 3 weeks ago and now are saying we shouldn't even bother trading him unless he brings back a 1st. Time flies, man.

I think more than anything this just goes to show how you shouldn't overreact to things and indeed how quickly some things can change.  The people saying that at the time weren't necessarily wrong, but low and behold 3 weeks later the guy has seemed to hit his stride and a lot of the concerns around him from the past year and a half or so have faded a bit now that he's healthy and has been quite productive over the past dozen games.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

It's pretty amazing how 90% of the posters on here were saying we'd be lucky to get a 3rd for Mojo 3 weeks ago and now are saying we shouldn't even bother trading him unless he brings back a 1st. Time flies, man.

That’s how things are here. 2 weeks ago Cory Schneider was never going to play again and we should release him and eat his $6m. Fast forward and people are asking why KK started against Pittsburgh, who he was 3-0 against, and saying Cory should’ve started. 

This is the biggest “what have you done for me lately” place on earth lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s how things are here. 2 weeks ago Cory Schneider was never going to play again and we should release him and eat his $6m. Fast forward and people are asking why KK started against Pittsburgh, who he was 3-0 against, and saying Cory should’ve started. 

This is the biggest “what have you done for me lately” place on earth lol. 

Hey, I was one of the ones who was wondering why Cory didn't get the start against the Pens.  Not discounting that KK was 3-0 against them, which I acknowledged at the time I was questioning it because that of course makes perfect sense, but pretty much everyone here, and I imagine the Devils staff as well, was excited to see Cory have a couple games where he played well consecutively, and given that there's so much riding on whether or not he truly will get back to being the goalie he once was and be able to stay at that level for a sustained period of time, I think it made sense at the time to start Cory against Pittsburgh.  But, I get why the started KK though.

I don't think it's as much of "what have you done for me lately" mentality as it is "we suck right now and can't afford to waste time, so we need to act quickly" - basically I would've liked to have seen if Cory could have kept up his solid play for a 3rd game in a row.  If KK had won and was 4-0 against the Pens what would that really have gotten us?  A feel good moment for him and us, but that's it.  

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't think it's as much of "what have you done for me lately" mentality as it is "we suck right now and can't afford to waste time, so we need to act quickly" - basically I would've liked to have seen if Cory could have kept up his solid play for a 3rd game in a row.  If KK had won and was 4-0 against the Pens what would that really have gotten us?  A feel good moment for him and us, but that's it.  

It's completely that mentality. This season is completely lost, we don't have to "act quickly" about anything other than trade opportunities at this point. 

You can point out a million examples of it.

People were upset that Blackwood got sent back to the AHL because of how he performed in 10 games, as if we had some other place to put Cory or KK. 

People hated Johansson, wanted him gone at all costs. Now his trade value has gone up and people are calling for him to be re-signed. 

Bratt was invisible for months, then all of a sudden, he's the future again. 

Taylor Hall was the long-term future of the franchise, now he's injury prone and we should trade him immediately. 

Coleman was everyone's favorite guy, then he disappeared and everyone stopped talking about him. 

It's just the way this board runs. 

Let's see, Cory's been back for a couple of games, coming off pretty major surgery and a subsequent injury, the season is completely lost, the results of the game don't matter at all, and KK is 3-0 against the opponent, and is well rested and not coming off an injury. If you're worried about Cory's future, maybe overworking him in that situation is the wrong move. 

It's called "common sense". 

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Friedman also apparently said he thinks we could be the ‘offer sheet team’ this summer.

I listened to the 31 thoughts podcast a week or two ago when they talked about the weird Hall rumor that seemed to come out of nowhere. Fried said he had to call Ray about it cause it was so off the radar, which drove both the Devils and Halls agent to speak out about Taylor being happy here and whatnot.  During that same episode, they discussed the potential for offer sheets coming this summer, with Detroit being the first emerging candidate to start tossing them around. The podcast, although very Canada heavy and understandably so, was actually pretty good.

I remember in the days of Lou where offersheets were pretty much Taboo and that teams were reluctant to offer them. Then the massive Edmonton signing Vanek to one happened and people were shocked. Same with Weber and Philly years [5, I think?] later. I'm very curious to see if Marner signs an extension before the summer rolls around, and even Laine for that matter. Since we actually own most, if not all of our picks, internet is terrible for me right now so I cant look, it barely loaded this page, could be a fun summer for us.

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's completely that mentality. This season is completely lost, we don't have to "act quickly" about anything other than trade opportunities at this point. 

People were upset that Blackwood got sent back to the AHL because of how he performed in 10 games, as if we had some other place to put Cory or KK. 

People hated Johansson, wanted him gone at all costs. Now his trade value has gone up and people are calling for him to be re-signed. 

Taylor Hall was the long-term future of the franchise, now he's injury prone and we should trade him immediately. 

Coleman was everyone's favorite guy, then he disappeared and everyone stopped talking about him. 

Let's see, Cory's been back for a couple of games, coming off pretty major surgery and a subsequent injury, the season is completely lost, the results of the game don't matter at all, and KK is 3-0 against the opponent, and is well rested and not coming off an injury. If you're worried about Cory's future, maybe overworking him in that situation is the wrong move. 

In fairness, the bolded is kinda how a lot of fans are in general.  That's hardly restricted to this board...even sportswriters have a way of changing their tunes multiple times throughout the season. 

As for each of the above:

Blackwood was a nice breath of fresh air, and some were hoping to see a little more of him, to see if he could continue his run.  Of course there were no guarantees that he could keep it up, and maybe with more NHL games he would've fizzled or cooled off.  But it was nice to have a little excitement in net, a little intrigue.

As far as Johansson goes, if I'm Shero, I still move him...his overall body work here was too uneven for me to feel comfortable with him re-upping here.  And depending on what's available at the deadline, he might be the kind of guy someone overpays for (though I'm not so sure it's going to be shockingly so...maybe a 2nd and 3rd, instead of a 1st, as an example).

It is nice to see Bratt playing well...will be interesting to see if he hits the wall again.  If anything it's been quite the opposite this season, which is encouraging.  He's looking like the guy who had us all thrilled to start last season.

I still think the Devils still have to re-sign Hall, but the guy does miss games.  Would hate to see this become a Lindros situation, where you almost have to plan for two lineups...the one Hall plays in for 60-70 games or so, and then the one where he's out for who knows how long.  Hoping this year is more of an anomaly than anything else.

Still like Blake a lot...in reality the guy was probably due for a scoring slump...he just finished off a stretch where he scored 25 goals in 65 regular season games.  Even with this seven-game pointless streak, he could still wind up with 30 goals over an 82-game period, which is a pretty significant (over)achievement (he needs 5 goals in 10 games to make that happen).  He may never score at such a rate again (doesn't mean he still can't be a fine and useful player of course). 

I really didn't have much issue with KK starting the game against the Pens, but I think many fans are just looking for something (anything) to latch on to in net at this point, as overall it's been an extremely glaring weakness.  KK's one of those guys that a lot of Devils fans are just sick to death of seeing...in some cases, it's now genuine hatred.  Cory for the first time in what truly seems like forever and ever seems to have the beginnings of not looking like the guy he's been since late December 2017.  So sure, though what you're saying does make complete sense and I have no problems with that, I can see why some may have wanted to see Cory get the game, all things considered. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's completely that mentality. This season is completely lost, we don't have to "act quickly" about anything other than trade opportunities at this point.  The season has been lost for a long time now, I don't think this feeling is a what have you done for me lately reaction by any stretch.

People were upset that Blackwood got sent back to the AHL because of how he performed in 10 games, as if we had some other place to put Cory or KK.  Imo KK should of been shuffled down to the AHL, if he got picked off so what, we miss on the opportunity for a 4-6 round pick?  I personally think the odds of him being picked off are slim and none. 

People hated Johansson, wanted him gone at all costs. Now his trade value has gone up and people are calling for him to be re-signed.  No way he should be resigned, this team isn't close.  He's been injury prone the last two years including head injuries.  He's got a dreadful +/-, yeah I get it it's not an advanced stat.  He's had 2- 20 goal seasons in I think his 8-9 year career.  His overall point total per game is far from overly impressive.  It's great he's had a really good ten game stretch.  It doesn't diminish all the rest.

Bratt was invisible for months, then all of a sudden, he's the future again. He's showing signs which is great as a young kid writing him off would be a mistake, but I think it's fair to say the jury is still out  until he puts together a full season. Hopefully he can mature to that point.

Taylor Hall was the long-term future of the franchise, now he's injury prone and we should trade him immediately.  Nope. It would be a massive fail if he gets away.  I don't see it happening under any circumstances.

Coleman was everyone's favorite guy, then he disappeared and everyone stopped talking about him.  He's a feel good story, I don't think he's as good as the hot streak he was on nor as bad as he's been lately. Fine bottom six player.

It's just the way this board runs. Often times human nature for fans that care deeply for their team. At the same time most people can think rationally when they take the emotion out of it.

Let's see, Cory's been back for a couple of games, coming off pretty major surgery and a subsequent injury, the season is completely lost, the results of the game don't matter at all, and KK is 3-0 against the opponent, and is well rested and not coming off an injury. If you're worried about Cory's future, maybe overworking him in that situation is the wrong move.  Both Cory and KK stink Cory's last 3 games don't erase the last 12 months and the fact we're paying him 6M per year. KK the Emoji Douche's clock has struck 12 and he's been exposed as a marginal backup, a dime a dozen all day long.

Side notes - Wood's hockey IQ is 0, Our D sucks or as someone smarter than I said blows goats. Honestly cringe worth from top to bottom, SV the best of the worst and there's even less after him. You can't tech grit and we have none to speak of. Zacha has shown a glimpse of hope but is it sustainable over the course of a season? The bottom six today include some guys that should never sniff the NHL on a decent team - Gabriel, Seney, Stafford, Noes, etc.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

What I meant by the act quickly remark is that A) Cory's window of above-average play very well could be short and limited, so it made sense to give him the opportunity to see how long he could extend it before it eventually goes away, and B ) Because the season is quickly coming to a close and several key decisions are going to have to be made in the off-season, we want to have all of the information possible to make the best choices.  Do we really want to go into the off-season with a giant question mark at the goaltending position again?  I don't.  I'd rather push Cory a little know and see if he actually has a shot at getting back to his former self.  

The thing about Bratt I don't think is fair because he's so young - the guy is going to have ups and downs, but I think it's clear he's showing promise.

Regarding Hall, I've never wanted to trade him, but I do have questions about how much money we should throw at him.

I guess the MoJo instance really is the best example, but I still think that's just because this sport, like any other business, is results-driven, so of course you're going to look at recent production and say what have you done for me lately.  The Cory thing on the other hand is different, I'm not really comparing what he's done for us lately but rather that I think we should continue to give him the opportunity to show us what he can do for us lately.  The jury is no longer out on whether or not KK can be relied upon as a #1, but the jury is still out on Schneider, so yes, I do believe it was a waste of time starting KK against the Pens while Cory was coming off of two hot games.  There's only 20 games left, and I'd much prefer we 'act quickly' and give the key starts to the guys that still have question marks surrounding them.  That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

I listened to the 31 thoughts podcast a week or two ago when they talked about the weird Hall rumor that seemed to come out of nowhere. Fried said he had to call Ray about it cause it was so off the radar, which drove both the Devils and Halls agent to speak out about Taylor being happy here and whatnot.  During that same episode, they discussed the potential for offer sheets coming this summer, with Detroit being the first emerging candidate to start tossing them around. The podcast, although very Canada heavy and understandably so, was actually pretty good.

I remember in the days of Lou where offersheets were pretty much Taboo and that teams were reluctant to offer them. Then the massive Edmonton signing Vanek to one happened and people were shocked. Same with Weber and Philly years [5, I think?] later. I'm very curious to see if Marner signs an extension before the summer rolls around, and even Laine for that matter. Since we actually own most, if not all of our picks, internet is terrible for me right now so I cant look, it barely loaded this page, could be a fun summer for us.

2019 draft: We've got an extra second (acquired Nashville's in the Boyle trade), we have the Ducks 3rd (the condition of Rico resigning with them was met) and traded our third away in the Maroon deal last trade last deadline. 

Personally an offer sheet would make me nervous. I do believe the team is trending in the right direction but still has quite a ways to go, we came in 4th last in 16-17 and probably bottom 5 this year so that is two high picks out of the last 3 years and our goaltending situation is piss poor at the moment and I don't see great options on the market. 

I think that Shero's preference is to continue to build through the draft. More than likely we'll have at least 1 more good pick for MoJo I think the Devils will try to do another Palmieri or MoJo style deal this summer, ex. a second and a third for a pretty good player with salary under contract for a couple of years, and try to be more aggressive with UFAs.