Devils Goaltending

Steadevils

54 minutes ago, Crisis said:

He's young.  He has plenty of time to win.  He could also get hurt and never get another contract.

He’s going to be getting 8 figures annually no matter where he signs. If it’s 10m from a winner or 12m from a loser, he’s taking the 10. 

26 minutes ago, fsu1852 said:

I wonder if a swap for Cory and Jake Allen could work out. Maybe a change of places could work

We do have someone in the FO with connections to the Blues...

Not really big on Allen, but honestly almost anyone would be an upgrade at this point. 

We are not going to win multiple games in a row at this point, not with KK now.. if cory truely is somewhat healthy,  they need to play him for an extended period... he either recovers his game, doubtful,  or confirm cutting him is the right move.. it's a perfect tank scenario...  but it won't happen ,  Hynes is fighting for his job and the vets want to win or go down fighting..  Shero needs to step in , talk to hall and make it happen. We need to hit a strong player in the draft...

Maybe all it takes is one game for Cory to get back to normal, but as he is now, he is virtually unplayable.  I'd like to see him get Anaheim tomorrow night, but I understand why the coaching staff would be hesitant.  As he's playing now, the Devils cannot give Cory 'an extended period' - he's just playing too awful.

• Like 1

Watching some blackwood highlites,  the kid slides across the crease fast and is lightning quick in and out of his butterfly.. reaction reflexes are good....but for 6'4" he looks small in the net  on the ice he's very crouched and exposes lots of top corners, from my hack opinion.  It will be interesting to see his nhl game 

I wonder how many more games the Devils would have won if they had even average goaltending this season. I feel like we could be in a similar position to last season if goaltending wasn't such a major issue. It seems that this problem is making everything else look much worse than it is. I don't see there being too many potential moves out there for Shero to consider at this point, but if the Devils goaltending stays on this trajectory, the Devils can expect to finish right near the bottom this season. I wouldn't be totally opposed, if it means getting one of the top players in the 2019 draft. But definitely by the start of next season, Shero has got to do something.

Must've been a rough weekend for Blackwood and Bingo...his save% plummeted from .929 to .912. 

Re:  KK and these metrics, that overall sample's been buoyed by his earlier strong start.  He hasn't played as well lately, and as has been pointed out, he's really being asked to do much more than he should be.  I don't really blame him for his slide in performance (and it's not like any goalie the Devils throw out there is getting much support at the moment).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Pretty much repeating what I said in the GDT, but I thought Cory played well enough to win last night.  He got royally screwed by his teammates on three goals, and one was the definition of a seeing-eye shot.  The guy is probably the unluckiest player in the NHL right now.

He looked slow on the 3rd goal, and was predictably terrible in the shootout.  But I'm choosing to be encouraged.. slightly encouraged.  He probably wins more often than not if he plays like he did last night imo.  I know the stats don't support it, though.

Edited by Devilsfan118

7 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Kinkaid has not been as bad as you might think.  Here is where he ranks among goalies who've played 500 minutes or more (52 goalies).

• 23rd in dSV%
  • 31st in LDSV%
  • 29th in MDSV%
  • 19th in HDSV%
  • 16th in GSAA

So he's basically a middle of the pack goalie.

I'm going to say that this one coincides with the eye test. He's had bad moments but overall he hasn't been completely awful. 

Do you have any stats to show Cory hasn't sucked??

Let's be real, Kinkaid's been pretty bad lately. Even if you take away his 3-4 posts/crossbars each game, we're still losing and letting in 4-5 goals every time. If he weren't getting that kind of puck-luck, we'd be looking at a longer losing streak and Eddie Lack would probably have been called up a week ago; but it's been a pattern of 2-3 weeks now where the opposing team hits the post 3-4 times a game when Kinkaid is the starter. We should otherwise have had a few more games with 6-7-8 goals against, but some ridiculous puck-luck seems to be going only Kinkaid's way and obfuscating the reality of his performances dropping lately.

Meanwhile, Cory gets scored on by his own team 3 times last night, it's almost comical. And yet, did you hear his post-game press conference? He remains positive, focused, kept his focus on his own play and how he started the game, did not throw anyone under the bus, and reminded us that we have 3 of 4 points on our California road trip so far, which we historically do pretty poor at usually.

For all intents and purposes, Cory Schneider saved 33 of 35 Anaheim shots last night, a pretty strong performance by the team in a game we should have won 5-2 to cap 2 games of consistent and strong play in the offensive zone; end of story. If Hynes wants to make a point, he should maybe play Cory again tonight, challenge the guys to get this win for him, they owe him big time, last night was as comically frustrating a loss as I can ever remember; even more frustrating than that shootout loss where Kovalchuk lost track of the puck on his rush in. Our players scored on our own goalie THREE times.

Edited by DJ Eco
  • Like 1

I think it is about time to bring up Blackwood and see what he can bring. We are just getting absolutely nothing from the goaltenders and it is killing this teams morale. Change the goalie midseason just like you change a goalie midgame to try and find a spark.  Send Cory down to find his game and ride Blackwood to find out if he has a shot of being an NHL goalie. He's already 22, so it is not like we'd be stunting his growth. A young goalie might even handle getting hung out to dry better than a veteran. He'd just be thrilled to be in the NHL, so won't care that he is facing odd man rushes constantly and having the puck tipped in by his own D. That being said it makes some sense to wait and make this move in the new year. Might be unduly harsh to send a well liked veteran in Cory to Binghamton for the holidays in what is quickly becoming a lost season anyway....

• Like 1

It's nice to see Blackwood love BUT he needs more time in the AHL. He spent a good chunk of last season in the ECHL and he's struggling with consistency this season in the AHL. Now's not the time to bring him up (he lost his last two starts, 5-0 Friday & 7-4 on Saturday). Lack is injured and Johnson has been in the ECHL mostly (he got called up to the Bing when Lack went down); he lost Sunday's game 5-1. 

10 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Another strong game for Blackwood tonight. 36 saves in a 5-1 win. It'd be great if he plays like this for the season and gives the Devils a possible back up in the next year or two 

If he plays REALLY well, I think the Devils might let KK walk...assuming that Shero doesn't use Nuclear Option #2, and buy Cory out. 

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If he plays REALLY well, I think the Devils might let KK walk...assuming that Shero doesn't use Nuclear Option #2, and buy Cory out. 

With Sheros quotes, I'm thinking that might be more and more possible. He seems very frustrated with the Cory situation, and rightfully so. Hopefully he can build on the Anaheim game though. He showed a little of his old self in there

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 10:15 PM, Nicomo said:

Red Wings are asking for at least a 1st rd pick for 34 year old pending UFA Jimmy Howard...

I hope Ray hangs up on them if they call. 

Trading a first for a 34 yr old goalie? That's more of a Lou move. 

Edited by slasher72
  • Haha 1