2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Rags signed Rykov: 

Speaking of, neat little fact (good drafting): 

@HockeyPulz  With Yegor Rykov reportedly signing an ELC with the Rangers, that means that all 9 players selected by the #NJDevils in the 2016 NHL draft have signed NHL entry-level contracts. How crazy is that?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

wow thats honestly a shame

Can't make people be interested in something they aren't interested in. I was given free tickets if I wanted them through my Devils season tickets and I honestly wouldn't waste my time and money for gas and tolls. If they let them check like the men I would be more interested but when they take something important like that out of the game then I'm not watching. 

Also seems like the Devils and Buffalo bailed on the league because it's a mess and the majority of players aren't going to even play because they don't make enough to have it be worth it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't care if the Rangers sign Karlsson, he's overrated and injury prone. He barely played the 3rd period tonight. 

Agreed.  For a while I was hoping Ray would make a push but I haven’t liked what I’ve seen when I’m actually up late enough to watch them.   

Two of my good friends ended up in San Francisco and Oakland years back and they’ve split tickets for the Sharks for years.  They’re watching him day in and day out and Karlsson drives them both nuts being a defensive liability. They’re always texting me that they hope the Sharks don’t spend the cap space necessary to keep him. If the contract is up in the 10+ range, that seems like an old school rangers type move of paying for past performance that we all know and love.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Can't make people be interested in something they aren't interested in. I was given free tickets if I wanted them through my Devils season tickets and I honestly wouldn't waste my time and money for gas and tolls.

I always thought about taking my daughter, but even if the tickets were free (they were not for me), I didn’t like the idea of paying for that stuff PLUS parking, the inevitable snacks, etc. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Roy and Melnyk would get along great. I definitely don’t foresee any issues there whatsoever. 🤪🤣

How's about him and Dorian? He crapped on Sakic, he was a friend!

• Like 1

I wanted Ray to look into Kadri because he's signed for a few more years, (reasonable $$$) & plays with grit. It would however muck up Center. (Zacha/zajac/Hughes/Nico.

think maybe a righty like Connor Brown, Kapanen, unless Tor. trades Nylander. I'm hoping we get a top 4 D (L or R) and right side fw.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I would have agreed with you on Bratt being overrated at the beginning of last season.  However in his limited time this past season he did make a dent and seemed more consistent.  He just has to stay healthier.

Wood is another who is in a prove it year with Zacha.  You can also probably throw Q into that mix and possibly McLeod.

Yeah, I felt pretty bad about putting Bratt in the 'overrated' category, and I think he did make strides this past season, but I think he gets a bit too much credit/hype for such a small sample size.  I definitely think the potential is there though, and it wouldn't take much for him to shed that label in my eyes - another solid season and I'll be fairly convinced that he's not just a flash in the pan.

Completely agree on the other guys in terms of a prove it year - having to pick just one, I went with Wood because he signed that big deal a year ago and he's also a bit older.  I've pretty much given up on Q becoming anything significant, but I think Zacha and McLeod get another year or so each, while Wood basically needs to have an impactful season this year - anything less will be a disappointment.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I felt pretty bad about putting Bratt in the 'overrated' category, and I think he did make strides this past season, but I think he gets a bit too much credit/hype for such a small sample size.  I definitely think the potential is there though, and it wouldn't take much for him to shed that label in my eyes - another solid season and I'll be fairly convinced that he's not just a flash in the pan.

Completely agree on the other guys in terms of a prove it year - having to pick just one, I went with Wood because he signed that big deal a year ago and he's also a bit older.  I've pretty much given up on Q becoming anything significant, but I think Zacha and McLeod get another year or so each, while Wood basically needs to have an impactful season this year - anything less will be a disappointment.

My fear that he was a flash in the pan...ENDED this past season despite the freak injuries he suffered.    

Even the Devils owner views Bratt is part of the Core alongside Hall and Nico.    (and now we will soon add Hughes to that mix)

Edited by glenwo2

15 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

My fear that he was a flash in the pan...ENDED this past season despite the freak injuries he suffered.    

Even the Devils owner views Bratt is part of the Core alongside Hall and Nico.    (and now we will soon add Hughes to that mix)

That's true, the fact that he was able to have a pretty productive season coming off of that injury last summer is encouraging, but it was a facial/head injury as opposed to some type of leg or lower body injury that would've hampered his skating ability, so I'm not sure how much of an effect it really had on him in terms of his ability to play hockey, outside the fact that he had to sit out simply for fear of further injury to his head/face.

Edited by NJDfan1711

21 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm hoping Wood will step up as well. All teams are looking for speed/size, Wood has both but hasn't figured it out. He's been on all 4 lines for brief periods. What is Miles Wood modus operandi? a checking winger? A potential top 6 guy? I honestly think even Hynesy isn't sure. He skates faster than he thinks.

Edited by vadvlfan
misspell

I am trying to believe that last season was an outlier in the opposite direction of the year before for Wood and, to be frank, it wasnt a bad year to have it if he had to. Hopefully he gets his game back and he can feel confident again with the contract stuff over and a fresh year with a somwhat new look team. 

This is my take on the roster as of now, buy out Andy Greene. I'd like to see us get a legit top 6 forward preferably RW and a top 2 dman.

Hall - Hughes - ???
Bratt - Nico - Palms
Coleman - Zacha - ???
Wood - Zajac - Noeson
Extras: ??? - ???

Butcher - Vatanen
Ty Smith - Severson
Mueller - Santini
Extras: ???

Schneider
Blackwood

25 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

This is my take on the roster as of now, buy out Andy Greene. I'd like to see us get a legit top 6 forward preferably RW and a top 2 dman.

Hall - Hughes - ???
Bratt - Nico - Palms
Coleman - Zacha - ???
Wood - Zajac - Noeson
Extras: ??? - ???

Butcher - Vatanen
Ty Smith - Severson
Mueller - Santini
Extras: ???

Schneider
Blackwood

Problem is, I think Zajac is more deserving of 3rd line minutes right now. But Zacha will never reach his potential (to the extent he hasn’t already) playing on a 4th line. 

If someone’s interested in acquiring him in exchange for a defensive prospect, I would have to listen. I’m afraid, though, that’s a big “if”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

I'm hoping Wood will step up as well. All teams are looking for speed/size, Wood has both but hasn't figured it out. He's been on all 4 lines for brief periods. What is Miles Wood modus operandi? a checking winger? A potential top 6 guy? I honestly think even Hynesy isn't sure. He skates faster than he thinks.

You're probably right, Wood's game seems to be in line with a checking winger - whether or not he can become a top 6 guy remains to be seen.  I think the potential is there, but like you said he hasn't quite figured out the nuances of the game yet.  He's still too run-and-gun, even for a speedy winger (read:  always falling down, hardly any finesse).  

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Problem is, I think Zajac is more deserving of 3rd line minutes right now. But Zacha will never reach his potential (to the extent he hasn’t already) playing on a 4th line. 

If someone’s interested in acquiring him in exchange for a defensive prospect, I would have to listen. I’m afraid, though, that’s a big “if”. 

Completely agree, and I think that's been the issue for the last season or two - he has potential, we think, but he'll never reach it by playing with bottom 6 guys, yet at the same time he hardly has shown anything that warrants consistent top 6 minutes either.  He's too much of a liability in terms of production.  

Also, I don't see Hughes being plugged into the first line right away.  I wouldn't like it, and I don't think it'll happen.  Keep Nico with Hall, and maybe Palms up there. They had good chemistry together.  Don't throw Hughes to the wolves right away - there's enough pressure on the kid to be great as it is.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, I don't see Hughes being plugged into the first line right away.  I wouldn't like it, and I don't think it'll happen.  Keep Nico with Hall, and maybe Palms up there. They had good chemistry together.  Don't throw Hughes to the wolves right away - there's enough pressure on the kid to be great as it is.  

Agreed, but also, I don’t see Nico as a true #1 center either. But we’re already pinning a lot of hope to an 18 year old kid, that might be a little too much to expect from him. 

Although, if after 10 games he’s got like 15 points, you may have to consider it. 

Me personally, I’d like to get to where it’s literally a top 6 and a bottom 6. Top 6 get around the same kind of ice time, so do the bottom 6. Like a 1A/B and 3A/B situation. Which makes no sense because there’s no 2, but still. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Agreed, but also, I don’t see Nico as a true #1 center either. But we’re already pinning a lot of hope to an 18 year old kid, that might be a little too much to expect from him. 

Although, if after 10 games he’s got like 15 points, you may have to consider it. 

Me personally, I’d like to get to where it’s literally a top 6 and a bottom 6. Top 6 get around the same kind of ice time, so do the bottom 6. Like a 1A/B and 3A/B situation. Which makes no sense because there’s no 2, but still. 

I think that's a pretty solid plan. 

Re: Nico, I think he can definitely be a #1 center - not now perhaps, but sometime soon.  Ideally, I see him as a Bergeron-type - not crazy fast, but fast enough - and his bread and butter lies in his two-way abilities and being a shutdown guy.  If he can improve a bit on faceoffs, I think that's an ideal role for him.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But who do you have as Hughes' line mates? As much as he puts in the effort in on defence it's not his strength. As you said you dont' want Hughes to get thrown to the wolves straight away. You need someone alongside him that's defensively responsible and who on the roster is that? Currently Zajac, Zacha and Coleman. Out of those three I think Zacha would be the best fit if he can switch to the wing.

1 minute ago, Aitchmack said:

But who do you have as Hughes' line mates? As much as he puts in the effort in on defence it's not his strength. As you said you dont' want Hughes to get thrown to the wolves straight away. You need someone alongside him that's defensively responsible and who on the roster is that? Currently Zajac, Zacha and Coleman. Out of those three I think Zacha would be the best fit if he can switch to the wing.

I like the idea of putting Hughes on a line with Zacha at wing.  Zacha has a good shot and there's more to his game than just that. He just can't really dominate on his own. A line of Zacha-Hughes-Kessel would be something else if Ray could ever pull that off.

24 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Actually I was the one who said don't throw Hughes to the wolves lol.  To your point, I agree that Hughes may not have the best linemates if you don't put him on the first line - such is life when you have a roster lacking more than one or two superstar players.  I think it's a matter of biding time until the GM is able to find players that fit that bill, be it through the draft, free agency, or trades.  BUT... I do like your idea of moving Zacha to the wing.  Moreso than I would Hughes. Hughes' is the more bonafide center in my eyes - he's a speedy player with the ability to cut through the zone.  Zacha showed a lot of this years ago in his development, but since then I think he's turned into more of a shutdown player, and I see him being able to use his larger body to battle along the boards.

18 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I like the idea of putting Hughes on a line with Zacha at wing.  Zacha has a good shot and there's more to his game than just that. He just can't really dominate on his own. A line of Zacha-Hughes-Kessel would be something else if Ray could ever pull that off.

I basically said this in response to the quote above, but I'd rather see Zacha on the wing than Hughes.  Hughes is a natural center and we need his raw talent down the middle.  Zacha at this point is basically an experiment, in essence trying to find out if he can grab hold of a permanent spot on this roster in a way that maximizes his abilities, and I think there's a chance it could be on the wing if he has a solid center next to him.