2019 Offseason Thread

Daniel

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think Cory is the de-facto starter going in to the season but Blackwood will get his chances. I like what I've seen and I would love to see him continue to build on it

I'm assuming something like 65%-35% or 60%-40% in Cory's favor. 

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I have a feeling we'll either get a Devils move today, or if not, start hearing a strong rumor.

This feeling is based on absolutely nothing. I just feel like we'll get a "response" to the Trouba deal. These things usually happen between 12-2pm. 

I'm not saying people won't have a meltdown and talk about how sh!tty it is that the Rangers got Trouba and we got whoever, that's a given. 

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Could be gas

I burped and now I feel much better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

sigh. deep breath.

ok - i've been crazy busy for the last couple of days and haven't had time to check in lately but I'm going to have to pull the big brother card here.

Daniel

1) These guys don't get that your prone to hysterics as a defense mechanism against optimism and that you honestly believe about 20% of what you're saying but will push it not to be a troll, but just to guard you from reality, positivity or common sense.

2) Trouba - since he's the topic du jour. I was just as furious that he both did not come to NJ and went to the Rangers (probably more mad about the latter) and then that the deal was for peanuts. But there are FACTS that need to be considered. While the Devils could have beat the deal with quantity on the quality side, they did not have the 20th pick and the Jets wanted back in the 1st round THIS year. They wanted a defenseman. Our comparable based on cost and efficiency isn't butcher - it's meuller (or santini) and perhaps those were not guys Winnipeg wanted. It has been reported that Trouba gave the Jets two teams he'd be ok being traded to. And yes - he's an RFA, but by saying these are the teams i will sign with (whether a short term or long term), he is in fact saying where he's going.

3) Ray not spending money and valuing cap space - what options has he had? He offered more for Shattenkirk, JVR, and Maroon than they signed for which would have all been bad signings. Thank God we didn't get any of those to agree. So it's not that he's cheap. It's like the comment he made about offer sheets - "you've got to get the player to sign the fvcking thing." When you've been scorned by offers, that's when you publicly say, 'that's fine - we've got cap space which is super valuable." I don't know what will make you more mad - when Ray signs Jake Gardiner for 7/7.5 or when he doesn't. The current UFA market has some names that are interesting for sure (duschene, panarin, nyquist, lee for forwards | gardiner and my preferred Jordie Benn on defense). But there are still only so many roster spots for players. we agree that ideally, the devils need two top 6 forwards and 2 top 4 dmen to get to the next level (ideally one top line dman and a second pairing guy). well you've got one of your new top 6 forwards in hughes. and more than likely, you've got the 2nd pairing dman in ty smith. in my perfect world, sign jordie benn and trade for a decent top 6 forward with either cap space or draft picks/prospects.

4) It sucks to admit, but the Devils are not a marquee destination to play for. Think about the players that have had long careers here - these were established family guys that made ties to the area and got above rate contracts. Sure, winning changes things and by all accounts, the players are treated extremely well by the organization and given top of the line facilities and resources. But honestly - the Devils are lumped in with Carolina, Ottawa, Winnepeg,Columbus, Arizona, and Edmonton as the least desirable locals to play in. So that's why its develop your own and trade as the best way to build a strong organization. You have to make winning the allure to have people want to sign here or ask to be traded here

5) The analytics strawman argument you keep going back to - you make it seem like an exaggerated version of  @Triumph is running the analytics department (PS - where has Tri been?).

6) Re: ben lovejoy return- i heard he's pretty sure he's done in the NHL and that he might get a PTO but the odds on a contract are remote. supposedly he asked the devils about becoming a coach but wasn't greenlighted at this time.

While I agree or won't argue with 95% of what you wrote, how would Maroon have been a bad signing?  He's a middle-back six player who got a one-year deal, we likely offered two years and/or marginally more than his $1.7 million salary - but it's not like we were offering a Clowe contract, and quite honestly they don't make the playoffs without him two years ago.  I was glad he had his moment in the sun this year, especially with the series-deciding OT goal that helped the Blues win a Cup.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

17 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

While I agree or won't argue with 95% of what you wrote, how would Maroon have been a bad signing?  He's a middle-back six player who got a one-year deal, we likely offered two years and/or marginally more than his $1.7 million salary - but it's not like we were offering a Clowe contract, and quite honestly they don't make the playoffs without him two years ago.  I was glad he had his moment in the sun this year, especially with the series-deciding OT goal that helped the Blues win a Cup.  

Honestly, we snuck into the playoffs by one point, you can say that about every player on the team. 

8 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’d take David Clarkson’s capt hit off of Vegas in exchange for their first. I think they’d consider that given their dire cap crunch and stockpile of recent picks.

Sure, better than sitting on cap space. 

9 minutes ago, devlman said:

I’d take David Clarkson’s capt hit off of Vegas in exchange for their first. I think they’d consider that given their dire cap crunch and stockpile of recent picks.

Since we're a high tax state, it's very likely we're on his no-trade list, which is pretty funny that he gets to have one.

Offer sheet Rantanen or Marner.  That's how you "weaponize" cap space.  Not by trying to get table scraps from Vegas.

Just now, Daniel said:

Since we're a high tax state, it's very likely we're on his no-trade list, which is pretty funny that he gets to have one.

Offer sheet Rantanen or Marner.  That's how you "weaponize" cap space.  Not by trying to get table scraps from Vegas.

Is a first round pick "table scraps"?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

it's true that i lumped in maroon with the others more for the fact that the devils offered him more (supposedly 3/9) and that it probably would not have been a bad signing.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Is a first round pick "table scraps"?

No, but whoever takes Clarkson is not getting that.  You're getting a 4/5 defenseman.

What's more plausible is trading number 55 and a Speers or Quenneville to Tampa for 27 and Callahan.  Or trading 60 and waiver fodder to Boston for 30 and Backes.

This would take creativity and balls though, which our GM doesn't have.

1 minute ago, moustic said:

It's officially not fun anymore in this forum these days...So i'm gonna leave it for now Have fun & a good draft... Remember the thing that was supposed to be fun and everything ? 

Sorry to hear that, I'm just the messenger though.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

I’m not 100% sure but I believe you get taxed based in the state you live while you get paid. He currently lives in columbus, I’m pretty sure he’s paying Ohio taxes. He’d be a member of the “New Jersey Devils” but that doesn’t mean he lives in New Jersey or works in New Jersey, so I don’t think he’d be taxed as such.

I couldn't tell you for your sure.  But it's the only reason I can think of why he wouldn't just say he waives his no trade protection. 

13 minutes ago, moustic said:

It's officially not fun anymore in this forum these days...So i'm gonna leave it for now Have fun & a good draft... Remember the thing that was supposed to be fun and everything ? 

Despite Daniel's hysterics, he's at least started some substantive hockey talk - which there hasn't been a lot of in a while here. He's playing provocateur, so it's maddening, but it's at least something of interest around here - better than post after post of mindless stuff. I actually like to think such is part of his intention but maybe I'm reading too much into it. Point is, I don't see any reason not to hang around the board right now, the next few days are going to be plenty of "fun" on here.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Don’t leave because of one or two members. This forum doesn’t get enough traffic in the off-season as it is, and you’re one of my favorite members. Stick around, it’s a huge and exciting month to be a Devils fan.

Indeed.  I consider myself one of the more active posters on this site year round, but I've stayed out of the whole Shero debacle over the last day or two, and I still find this place as fun as ever.  I guess it's because I'll probably always find this place fun no matter what, because it's about the Devils and that's my favorite thing to discuss.  Just don't take it too seriously.  We're all here to have fun, that's what it should be about. 

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

Despite Daniel's hysterics, he's at least started some substantive hockey talk - which there hasn't been a lot of in a while here. He's playing provocateur, so it's maddening, but it's at least something of interest around here - better than post after post of mindless stuff. I actually like to think such is part of his intention but maybe I'm reading too much into. Point is, I don't see any reason not to hang around the board right now, the next few days are going to be plenty of "fun" on here.

I'm very willing to hear what people think the plausible moves Ray is going to make.  All I can tell you is that it's much more like him to trade for the Jonas Brodins and Collin Millers of the world than to go out and get players that are going to help us compete for a Cup. 

If he's going to weaponize his cap space, go out and fvcking do it, and don't give me a million excuses why we finish in 11th place in the conference at the end of next year, which is what he's done since he's gotten here.

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Who is watching the awards tonight?

I might.

I don't know what else to say right now...………..

"squash is on sale"

Squash.png

sh!t, is it on tonight?  Didn't realize.  I have hockey tonight, but will be done by 830/9ish.  Probably check it out after, hopefully.  Usually hit the bar for a bit though...wonder if they'll put it on or have it on. 

9 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I’m not 100% sure but I believe you get taxed based in the state you live while you get paid. He currently lives in columbus, I’m pretty sure he’s paying Ohio taxes. He’d be a member of the “New Jersey Devils” but that doesn’t mean he lives in New Jersey or works in New Jersey, so I don’t think he’d be taxed as such.

You get taxed where you earn the money. A player earns 1/82 of his paycheck for each game. So he owes NJ taxes on half of his salary, and owes the other relevant states based on how many of the 41 away games he played there. 

2 minutes ago, smelly said:

You get taxed where you earn the money. A player earns 1/82 of his paycheck for each game. So he owes NJ taxes on half of his salary, and owes the other relevant states based on how many of the 41 away games he played there. 

Are you an accountant? I have questions about this. He’s literally being paid not to play. I can’t imagine he ends up owing taxes in a whole bunch of different states in that instance. But, I guess it’s possible

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Are you an accountant? I have questions about this. He’s literally being paid not to play. I can’t imagine he ends up owing taxes in a whole bunch of different states in that instance. But, I guess it’s possible

Yeah that seems a little confusing. If I work and live in Jersey and my company sends me to work in Philly for a week, I'm pretty sure I'm not paying Pennsylvania taxes