2019-20 Around the League Thread

CommonDreads

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Marleau was freakishly healthy throughout his career...what's sad is of course he that he lost a full season in 2004-05 and 34 games in 2012-13.  Hard to say for sure, but he could've had the all-time GP record already...and due to the fact that he pretty much never misses games, even now he still has a shot at it, especially because he's relatively young for having played in so many games.

His Age 37 and 38 years were actually pretty good (27 goals each season)...he only has 21 goals and 26 assists since the start of the 2018-19 season (103 GP), so you wonder if SJ would give him another low-cost "Thanks for everything" one-year deal, just to give him a shot at breaking the record.  It's funny in a way, because even though Marleau had a very good career and was pretty steady (especially from 2002-2018), he really was the ultimate compiler...556 G and 620 A, but it took him a LOT of games to get those numbers...1678 and counting.  Will be interesting to see if he did enough to compile his way into the HHOF...if he was in MLB, he's the guy who averages about 14-15 wins a year, never wins a Cy Young or a World Series, never really stands out as being dominant or among the very best out of his peers...but then you look up, and he's 41 years old, still pitching well enough to be at the end of someone's rotation, and is somehow within striking distance of 300 wins.   

Yep.

I don't see any way that Marleau's not in the Hall of Fame, really.  I think most guys are in consideration when they cross the 1,000 point plateau, and he's a fair amount past that. Then when you factor in his durability and if he ends up breaking the all-time games played record, I think that alone probably would be enough to put him in too.  I mean, if we were talking about a regular guy who never really had above average seasons, and he was approaching the all-time games played mark, then maybe it's not enough I suppose, but that's really somewhat of an oxy moron because a regular player who wasn't all that good usually isn't able to stick around that long - I think it's a testament to Marleau's ability as a player from a skill perspective, aside from his physical health, that made teams give him a shot this long into his career. If he wasn't any good, now, or even 3 years ago, he might've been clinging to one year deals and already being phased out of the league.  There's a reason he's still on a team - and frankly, if the Sharks don't offer him a one-year 'thanks for everything" deal like you mentioned, I really don't think he'll have a hard time finding two or three other teams that would be interested in adding him as a veteran presence.  I see no reason why he couldn't make another 2-3 mil where I team might add him to their locker room just for his veteran presence experience alone, and still be able to squeak out 15 goals and 15 assists from him. 

EDIT: Double post.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yep.

I don't see any way that Marleau's not in the Hall of Fame, really.  I think most guys are in consideration when they cross the 1,000 point plateau, and he's a fair amount past that. Then when you factor in his durability and if he ends up breaking the all-time games played record, I think that alone probably would be enough to put him in too.  I mean, if we were talking about a regular guy who never really had above average seasons, and he was approaching the all-time games played mark, then maybe it's not enough I suppose, but that's really somewhat of an oxy moron because a regular player who wasn't all that good usually isn't able to stick around that long - I think it's a testament to Marleau's ability as a player from a skill perspective, aside from his physical health, that made teams give him a shot this long into his career. If he wasn't any good, now, or even 3 years ago, he might've been clinging to one year deals and already being phased out of the league.  There's a reason he's still on a team - and frankly, if the Sharks don't offer him a one-year 'thanks for everything" deal like you mentioned, I really don't think he'll have a hard time finding two or three other teams that would be interested in adding him as a veteran presence.  I see no reason why he couldn't make another 2-3 mil where I team might add him to their locker room just for his veteran presence experience alone, and still be able to squeak out 15 goals and 15 assists from him. 

EDIT: Double post.

Only thing about that (Marleau's HHOF case) is when guys like him start getting in (merely consistently good players who are able to compile their way into milestone numbers, like 500+ goals and 1000+ points), then you start opening up the doors for other guys to get in...like Pierre Turgeon (1327 points in 1294 GP).  Turgeon obviously benefitted from playing a nice chunk of his career during Live Puck, but it will be easy for some to wonder how a guy like Marleau (who outside of a freakish ability to avoid injury and play in a sh!tload of games was really nothing more than really good) gets in over a guy like Turgeon.

The best HHOF comparable that I can come up with for a Marleau-type (who really is kind of on his own island at the moment because he has a legit shot to play more NHL regular season games than anyone else, provided he does get signed next season) is Dave Andreychuk.  Like Turgeon, Andreychuk's numbers reflected the fact that he played well over half of his career during Live Puck, but he and Marleau's careers have some similarities...it's not a perfect comparison, but like I said, Marleau might be the best pure compiler the game as ever seen.  And I don't say "compiler" as a knock...I think there's something to be said for the guy who's pretty consistently good and occasionally a little better.  I just don't if that guy should be enshrined with the greats and very very good. 

"Fans in Canada don't boo their teams"

No, they show their disgust by throwing jerseys, and now towels, on the ice.

Wish the "Rangers Suck" crowd had as much passion towards our DBA coach, but hey, you can't yell "Flyers swallow, Crosby watches" when you yell "Fire Hynes" so I get the difficulty (Unnecessary low-blow, I know, but there is truth to it)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagknife said:

Wish the "Rangers Suck" crowd had as much passion towards our DBA coach, but hey, you can't yell "Flyers swallow, Crosby watches" when you yell "Fire Hynes" so I get the difficulty (Unnecessary low-blow, I know, but there is truth to it)

i remember whoever said fans in canada dont boo specified "outside of MTL"

Quebec and Canada are basically 2 separate entities

17 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i remember whoever said fans in canada dont boo specified "outside of MTL"

Quebec and Canada are basically 2 separate entities

Didn’t fans in Vancouver flip cars and start fires when they lost in the finals? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jagknife said:

I heard a small Fire Hynes chant coming out of one section last night, just needs to catch on more with the rest of the crowd but it should get there soon I hope. 

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Draisaitl has 48 points on November 27th...how many players on our team finish the season with more than 48pts?  I'm saying 3. :(

Considering Hall will probably be gone by the deadline, I’ll guess 2. Palms and Nico. 

• Like 1