CommonDreads

2019-20 Around the League Thread

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Lightning is ehhh. Wild is incredibly stupid. It’s not even a noun, it’s an adjective. 

i don’t expect many will agree with me, but that doesn’t change my mind. 

Prefer the Tampa Bay Thunderstorms? 

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Prefer the Tampa Bay Thunderstorms? 

Clearly not. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I think both LV and Seattle killed it on their logo and jerseys. Love them both. 

They're both terrible and are going to age as well as the Washington Wizards and Toronto Raptors. 

Still can't believe they allowed a West Point grad to straight up name his team after Army athletics. That's how you name youth sports teams, not a major professional franchise that's supposed to be a rallying point for a community for generations. 

Seattle is somehow more disappointing. They had so many options and so much potential. But you guys are right, trying to grab the casual fan and kids.

I thought that sleek modernist "tough" looking crap was ten years out of date, but teams keep designing the same garbage brands. At least there's not another team joining any time soon. Hopefully by the time expansion comes around again, popular aesthetics in sports would've evolved to a stomachable place. It's disappointing too because so many franchises have moved on from that look and replaced them with more traditionally appealing logos and jerseys. I thought we'd moved on from the Reebok Edge era.

8 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

They're both terrible and are going to age as well as the Washington Wizards and Toronto Raptors. 

Still can't believe they allowed a West Point grad to straight up name his team after Army athletics. That's how you name youth sports teams, not a major professional franchise that's supposed to be a rallying point for a community for generations. 

Seattle is somehow more disappointing. They had so many options and so much potential. But you guys are right, trying to grab the casual fan and kids.

I thought that sleek modernist "tough" looking crap was ten years out of date, but teams keep designing the same garbage brands. At least there's not another team joining any time soon. Hopefully by the time expansion comes around again, popular aesthetics in sports would've evolved to a stomachable place. It's disappointing too because so many franchises have moved on from that look and replaced them with more traditionally appealing logos and jerseys. I thought we'd moved on from the Reebok Edge era.

Nah, not terrible at all. Even years from now when people are making lists of the worst jerseys of all time neither of these will ever be mentioned. I can understand not caring for them, but terrible? Not even close. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Nah, not terrible at all. Even years from now when people are making lists of the worst jerseys of all time neither of these will ever be mentioned. I can understand not caring for them, but terrible? Not even close. 

Have to agree. I absolutely hate both franchise’s names, but the LV jerseys look great,  and I think Seattle, while they should’ve honored the whole Emerald City thing, knocked it out of the park. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Also, semantics here but Army is the Black Knights. Golden Knights is the sky diving team, just like Air Force’s is the Wings of Blue.

Did I feel Vegas missed a great chance to be the Aces or something else? Absolutely. Did I like the uniforms when they first arrived? Nah. But Seattle’s are solid. Vegas grew on me.

Edited by jagknife

24 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Did I feel Vegas missed a great chance to be the Aces or something else

The league wouldn’t allow any gambling references of any kind in the name, so I think that took ‘Aces’ out of the running.

25 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The league wouldn’t allow any gambling references of any kind in the name, so I think that took ‘Aces’ out of the running.

Which is stupid since now a lot of teams have affiliations with legal sports books. 

Shoulda named it after that tiger that ate Roy. Or was it Sigfried. Either way, thanks, kitty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Which is stupid since now a lot of teams have affiliations with legal sports books. 

Shoulda named it after that tiger that ate Roy. Or was it Sigfried. Either way, thanks, kitty. 

Yeah, weird that in the 2 seasons which Vegas entered the league, sports betting became legal in some states and the league has an official partner.

Aces coulda been played off like the flying term, but like MD said, they were worried about gambling. Have some vintage WW2 nose art as the logo, oh well.

I think the WNBA team took Aces

I just hope the NHL doesn’t cave to this BLM bvullsh!t like the other pandering leagues have.

• Like 3

Bad name and the jerseys look kind of bush league to me. If I was a Seattle hockey fan I would be disappointed with the packaging

• Like 1

I mean... it's totally fine not to love a logo or a name because it doesn't fit with your personal taste. It's something else to say it's technically bad though.

For what its worth. I do graphic design for a living so i feel my opinion is at least.... considerable.... on that subject... the LV and Kraken logos are fine logos. The V mi the helmet works well, it's simple and clean. The Kraken logo same thing with the S and i love the space needle anchor shoulder logo.

• Like 4

On 7/23/2020 at 8:38 PM, mfitz804 said:

Lightning is ehhh. Wild is incredibly stupid. It’s not even a noun, it’s an adjective. 

i don’t expect many will agree with me, but that doesn’t change my mind. 

well i mean.. it's not really an opinion that we should agree or not... you're factually wrong lol

wild
/wīld/
noun
  1. a natural state or uncultivated or uninhabited region.
    "kiwis are virtually extinct in the wild"

it`s a shame, not design for big club with history. They have all time of the world and they didnt calculate this logo enough. Large, medium and small parts are not reconciled. Thicknesses work in different ways without clear logic. the silhouette is not an original solution. Looks like they hired a designer and gave him two months, but not like they hired one of the best designers and gave him a year or more to idea, implement, calculate and find ringing details. It`s a ok design for AHL team, not for a NHL team from city with big hockey history.

39 minutes ago, Guadana said:

it`s a shame, not design for big club with history. They have all time of the world and they didnt calculate this logo enough. Large, medium and small parts are not reconciled. Thicknesses work in different ways without clear logic. the silhouette is not an original solution. Looks like they hired a designer and gave him two months, but not like they hired one of the best designers and gave him a year or more to idea, implement, calculate and find ringing details. It`s a ok design for AHL team, not for a NHL team from city with big hockey history.

But it is paying homage to their hockey history. The Metropolitans literally had an S on their jerseys...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

well i mean.. it's not really an opinion that we should agree or not... you're factually wrong lol

wild
/wīld/
noun
  1. a natural state or uncultivated or uninhabited region.
    "kiwis are virtually extinct in the wild"

Right. But that is an incredibly stupid thing to name a team after. That’s why we don’t have the Las Vegas Desert or the Florida Swamp. 

22 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But it is paying homage to their hockey history. The Metropolitans literally had an S on their jerseys...

And 'Seattle' in their name. 

36 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

AND they won a Stanley coupe

On 7/23/2020 at 9:53 PM, Nicomo said:

I think the jerseys for both franchises are passable, yea, but the logos are mass appeal auto generated garbage in my opinion. You just have such a huge opportunity when building a brand from scratch, and the question for me is always how does this hold up to the timeless hockey brands. How do they hold up compared to the Habs, Blackhawks, brands like that? Of course you can't replicate the history and that's a part of what gives those brands that charm, but there's a certain timelessness to the aesthetics. I don't want every team to fit that mold, but I wish there was a different standard. 

I don't think either brand stands up for more than a decade. They're going to be tasteless and out of date sooner than later. Seattle especially had so many options for a really meaningful name, and kraken is awful in my opinion. And yea they're not my teams, but I prefer an overall product that doesn't feel gimmicky and minor league, which to me too many brands in the league feel. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 3:37 PM, thecoffeecake said:

I think the jerseys for both franchises are passable, yea, but the logos are mass appeal auto generated garbage in my opinion. You just have such a huge opportunity when building a brand from scratch, and the question for me is always how does this hold up to the timeless hockey brands. How do they hold up compared to the Habs, Blackhawks, brands like that? Of course you can't replicate the history and that's a part of what gives those brands that charm, but there's a certain timelessness to the aesthetics. I don't want every team to fit that mold, but I wish there was a different standard. 

I don't think either brand stands up for more than a decade. They're going to be tasteless and out of date sooner than later. Seattle especially had so many options for a really meaningful name, and kraken is awful in my opinion. And yea they're not my teams, but I prefer an overall product that doesn't feel gimmicky and minor league, which to me too many brands in the league feel. 

If you were talking about the islanders fisherman logo or the coyotes with the weird looking coyote or a logo with a cartoony mascot i'd understand. But the LV logo and Kraken logos are reaaaally basic.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:07 PM, mfitz804 said:

Let me also say again that I hate when a team name isn't plural. If we were the New Jersey Devil that would annoy the crap out of me. 

At first I was going to strongly agree with you, and I still do for the most part, but then I realized that prior to the Kraken, there was only one other singular-named team in the league - the Wild.  Because of the name and the actual word itself, I think it's OK.  The Minnesota "Wilds" probably wouldn't sound right.  I'm too lazy to look it up...do many of the other teams in the other major North American sports have singular names?  I agree that plural usually sounds best, as in your example with us, New Jersey Devils is our mascot, which is a person/thing, and only one, whereas New Jersey DevilS represents our team, i.e. the 23-man roster.

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

At first I was going to strongly agree with you, and I still do for the most part, but then I realized that prior to the Kraken, there was only one other singular-named team in the league - the Wild.

You forgot the Lightning.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

You forgot the Lightning.

Yeah I realized that after I posted, but then after thinking about it, is lightning really singular?  I mean you wouldn't say "there were several lightnings last night"....obviously you'd say something like "there were several lightning strikes"...so I'm not really sure.  Even though you might say "that was a big lightning strike" which infers a single bolt or strike, you could also say "look at all the lightning", which infers multiple...so yeah, like I said, I'm not sure 😛

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

At first I was going to strongly agree with you, and I still do for the most part, but then I realized that prior to the Kraken, there was only one other singular-named team in the league - the Wild.  Because of the name and the actual word itself, I think it's OK.  The Minnesota "Wilds" probably wouldn't sound right.  I'm too lazy to look it up...do many of the other teams in the other major North American sports have singular names?  I agree that plural usually sounds best, as in your example with us, New Jersey Devils is our mascot, which is a person/thing, and only one, whereas New Jersey DevilS represents our team, i.e. the 23-man roster.

Jazz, Magic, Heat, Thunder...

• Like 1