GDT: Devils @ Canucks 4PM

Devils01

The Devils were fine today. They kept an offensive powerhouse to one goal and only 31 shots. The Canucks average 34.2 shots per game so 31 represents an under-performance for them. The Devils still can't score or generate enough shots/shot attempts at 5v5 though. I know we had a goal stolen from us, but the Devils are having a lot of trouble getting their offense going and with the top six we have, that shouldn't be. The Devils are dead last in the league in 5v5 shot attempts/60 (48.36) and 27th in shots/60 (27.6) and today we were under our averages in both statistical categories (45 and 27 respectively).

Gusev is making strides as a bottom nine forward - it's a better spot for him - his linemates are slower and his opposition isn't as good defensively.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Another one of Lou's parting gifts.

Zacha, Cory, Cory's extension... His fingerprints won't go away for a long time yet.

No one was bitching about Cory initially.  He seemed like a good bet to take a risk on, as far as doling out a big multi-year deal went.  Unfortunately as we all well know, not every long term deal pays off as hoped or expected.  Cory’s still not that old, but it looks like he’ll never be that consistent .920+ guy again.  And yeah, that sucks.  But I won’t blast Lou for that one.  If you want to get on him for something, I’d say it’s never being able to develop another goalie in house, which led to having to deal for Cory in the first place.  At least the Devils appear to have a guy in Blackwood that has a chance to become a solid goalie in time.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

The Devils were fine today. They kept an offensive powerhouse to one goal and only 31 shots. The Canucks average 34.2 shots per game so 31 represents an under-performance for them. The Devils still can't score or generate enough shots/shot attempts at 5v5 though. I know we had a goal stolen from us, but the Devils are having a lot of trouble getting their offense going and with the top six we have, that shouldn't be. The Devils are dead last in the league in 5v5 shot attempts/60 (48.36) and 27th in shots/60 (27.6) and today we were under our averages in both statistical categories (45 and 27 respectively).

Gusev is making strides as a bottom nine forward - it's a better spot for him - his linemates are slower and his opposition isn't as good defensively.

I’m 100% serious with this: thank you for posting explanations with the advanced stats data. It helps “old” heads like me understand it a bit more and you don’t do it condescendingly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You'd have to pay the other team to take him at this rate.

I’d rather suffer with him as the expensive backup than have to repeat the Malakhov trade 

Just now, Gunslinger27 said:

Hey Jags, can we fire SHURMUR ! LOL

fvck. Yes.

defensive coordinator and Gettleman need to go too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Hynes throwing mad shade at Zacha.

I was sincerely confused with his comments there. He said he switched Zacha off the second line because that line wasn't "competing" at the level they needed them to. He then said that after switching Wood onto that line, they were "great." "Great" is maybe a strong word for a line that accomplished a combined one shot and gave up four against in just under nine minutes of ice time. Maybe he's just pissed at Zacha and looking to make a point.

Just now, Neb00rs said:

I was sincerely confused with his comments there. He said he switched Zacha off the second line because that line wasn't "competing" at the level they needed them to. He then said that after switching Wood onto that line, they were "great." "Great" is maybe a strong word for a line that accomplished a combined one shot and gave up four against in just under nine minutes of ice time. Maybe he's just pissed at Zacha and looking to make a point.

Why he was pissed at Zacha. I didnt see any moment where Zacha was really bad tonight and missed some extra plays.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nice gutsy win today.

Like I said earlier, we all would’ve signed up for a 3-2 trip, regardless of how many style points were earned.

5-3-2 in their last 10.  Hopefully they can get something going.

If they`ll stay at this point take line - they will take 93 points.

• Like 1

Wood-Hischier-Bratt did look good though they didn't accomplish a whole lot - they were in the zone causing problems for Vancouver, but none of what they were doing resulted in shots.

Good signs for the Devils - Gusev has looked good two games in a row now, and Hynes noted that Hall looks like himself again.  These are things that people tend not to talk about when discussing the Devils' problems, and indeed the goaltending has been a larger issue, but man, Gusev looked awful and now he's looking okay.  Hopefully he can continue to make better decisions.

What terrible officiating - you hate to see the officials miss a call as badly as they did with the hook on Pettersson by Severson because you figure they're going to fvck it up again and they absolutely did.  I'd like to see one of them take a body check like Hall took.

Have to hope that the Devils can find defensive help somewhere.  Tennyson is just not going to cut it and Mueller looked abysmal today.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Another one of Lou's parting gifts.

Zacha, Cory, Cory's extension... His fingerprints won't go away for a long time yet.

The Cory trade and extension were very good when they happened. People were panicking that he was gonna leave then almost as much as they are about Hall now. Then his hip exploded and his brain went to mush. 

And Shero was already GM when Zacha was picked

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 2

So the NHL ruled that rule 78.5 (x) comes into effect here, which is under the header of disallowed goals:

"When the net becomes displaced accidentally. The goal frame is considered to be displaced if either or both goal pegs are no longer in their respective holes in the ice, or the net has come completely off one or both pegs, prior to or as the puck enters the goal."

So the NHL will probably say, "the Canucks player unintentionally knocked it off it's moorings and thus, the goal should be disallowed." The issue of course, is that on the Hischier play last year, that was changed to a goal, it seemed like Keller also knocked the net off accidentally, or at least no more or less intentionally than Edler today. The NHL is now putting the refs and Toronto in the position of judging intention situation-by-situation. If the puck crosses the line before the whistle and another player knocks the goal off, it should probably be a goal.

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Wayne Simmonds is just flat out fvcking terrible at hockey.

I really wish I could make Wayne Simmonda money for all the things I’m terrible at......  there’s quite a lot to choose from.

Edited by AEWHistory
  • Like 1

Zacha looked like he had zero legs today.. tennyson needs to sit.. hall is snake bit but is flying on every shift.. guy gives 100% .shooting percentage will improve and goals as well.. greene continues to be remarkably rejuvenated...blackwood is our guy now..  cory was a decent get by lou to bridge marty.. it just turned bad, real bad.. buy out!..We need sami back quickly, zero depth at D.. glad to see Simmonds pot one, his shooting % has to improve .  Travis is just not getting shots, next year will be his last

Obviously everything is fixed and we’re playoff bound. 

44 minutes ago, AEWHistory said:

I really wish I could make Wayne Simmonda money for all the things I’m terrible at......  there’s quite a lot to choose from.

Not today, he gets a goal so we can’t make fun of him today. 

But just for today. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

Zacha looked like he had zero legs today.. tennyson needs to sit.. hall is snake bit but is flying on every shift.. guy gives 100% .shooting percentage will improve and goals as well.. greene continues to be remarkably rejuvenated...blackwood is our guy now..  cory was a decent get by lou to bridge marty.. it just turned bad, real bad.. buy out!..We need sami back quickly, zero depth at D.. glad to see Simmonds pot one, his shooting % has to improve .  Travis is just not getting shots, next year will be his last

He’s been pretty invisible so far. Kind of surprising after 19 goal season last year.