GDT: Devils vs. Capitals, Friday 12/20/19, 7:00pm ET, Retro Night

mfitz804

Gave my daughter a little early Xmas gift...a Heritage Hischier to wear to the game vs the Ducks.  Might have to tell her to wear it vs the Caps as well.  

LGMFD!!!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gave my daughter a little early Xmas gift...a Heritage Hischier to wear to the game vs the Ducks.  Might have to tell her to wear it vs the Caps as well.  

LGMFD!!!

I made my heritage into a Hischier as well. They’re sharp jerseys, imo. Now if we can just win a damn game in them...

• Like 1

I like that this thread was started early, and I'm actually kinda pumped for the game tomorrow.  I won't be shocked if we get pummeled, but it's nice to even had two wins together where the team looked competent.  A win against arguably the best team in the league could do wonders for the guys' confidence. 

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I like that this thread was started early, and I'm actually kinda pumped for the game tomorrow.  I won't be shocked if we get pummeled, but it's nice to even had two wins together where the team looked competent.  A win against arguably the best team in the league could do wonders for the guys' confidence. 

I’m sure there are those who will say we didn’t play that well last game, but to me, it was one of our better efforts in recent memory. We had a different energy and made less mistakes. They even allowed less than 30 shots, giving Blackwood a better chance at success. Were it the first game of the year, I would have a lot of optimism about what’s to come. 

If it’s the start of something, that’s great. It may not be, probably isn’t, but I’d take a game like last game any day. 

And I started the GDT early because yesterday I almost forgot it was “my turn” following the win. Didn’t want that to happen again!!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I made my heritage into a Hischier as well. They’re sharp jerseys, imo. Now if we can just win a damn game in them...

Yeah she loves it...I kinda sorta gave "the surprise" away because I asked her last week if she already had any Hischiers (senior moment on my part, not sure why I couldn't remember that at the time), so she suspected that she was getting a Hischier jersey for Xmas...but she didn't know that she was getting it right before last night's game, and didn't know it would be a Heritage.  What's kinda scary is that an adult small now just about fits her (she's almost 5' 4")...it's a little long in sleeves, but fits pretty well otherwise.  And it's actually pretty well-made. 

We both rocked our Hischiers last night...I just got his pregame military jersey (won it through NHL Auctions...love this one, just wish that the crest was sewn on and not screened), and she wore her new Heritage.  Obviously I root for the whole team, but the guys I really root hardest for now are Palms (duh), Hischier, Coleman, and Blackwood.   I'll always have a soft spot for Zajac, and I keep crossing my fingers that Zacha will be a decent and useful NHLer, even if he's clearly never going to be anywhere near a star player.  The two who infuriate me on a regular basis are Minus Man and Mr. Lindsey.  Mirco "Mueller...Mueller...Mueller" isn't far behind.  Was fun watching Seves mix it up last night though.  When it first happened I had to do a double-take of his number. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's kinda scary is that an adult small now just about fits her (she's almost 5' 4")...it's a little long in sleeves, but fits pretty well otherwise.  And it's actually pretty well-made. 

I bought my abnormally tall, 5’6” 12 year old a size 42 HFC jersey, same thing. Long in the sleeves, otherwise it’s fine. I’d have gone with something else, but she insisted on purple (favorite color) and they didn’t have replicas available. Took a chance on it. 

I thought about having the sleeves hemmed, but since she never stops growing I decided against that. So she rolls them and then rolls them down and puts her hands inside when they inevitably get cold. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I bought my abnormally tall, 5’6” 12 year old a size 42 HFC jersey, same thing. Long in the sleeves, otherwise it’s fine. I’d have gone with something else, but she insisted on purple (favorite color) and they didn’t have replicas available. Took a chance on it. 

I thought about having the sleeves hemmed, but since she never stops growing I decided against that. So she rolls them and then rolls them down and puts her hands inside when they inevitably get cold

Heh heh, same deal here, suffice it to say that the long sleeves came in handy for her last night.  We were in the Loft last night, and I always have to remind her to be careful when she's eating...her sleeves always come perilously close to the mountain of ketchup that she builds for her fries. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh, same deal here, suffice it to say that the long sleeves came in handy for her last night.  We were in the Loft last night, and I always have to remind her to be careful when she's eating...her sleeves always come perilously close to the mountain of ketchup that she builds for her fries. 

They are literally the same kid. Well not LITERALLY, but...literally. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They are literally the same kid. Well not LITERALLY, but...literally. 

I don't want to get any older.  Not for any particular reason other than I don't want the two of you to not have young 11/12 year olds and be able to talk about them and what they do as kids.  15 years from now when you guys are discussing and referring to them as adults in their late 20s is going to be very depressing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't want to get any older.  Not for any particular reason other than I don't want the two of you to not have young 11/12 year olds and be able to talk about them and what they do as kids.  15 years from now when you guys are discussing and referring to them as adults in their late 20s is going to be very depressing.  

As much as I love the kid that she is, there's days where I would love to have just an hour of younger versions of her...not because of the way she is now (she's a great kid and I have a blast with her), but just because it's all going by entirely too fast.  I still remember the day we brought her home like it just happened.  I have no idea how 11+ years went by so damned quickly...which makes me wonder how quickly the next 11+ years will go by. 

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As much as I love the kid that she is, there's days where I would love to have just an hour of younger versions of her...not because of the way she is now (she's a great kid and I have a blast with her), but just because it's all going by entirely too fast.  I still remember the day we brought her home like it just happened.  I have no idea how 11+ years went by so damned quickly...which makes me wonder how quickly the next 11+ years will go by. 

Exactly, and I can tell you the next 11 years will seem to go by twice as fast as the first 11 did.  Completely unexpected, I took the fast track through life and two of my three step-kids are grown and doing their own thing now.  Thankfully they're still local and I see them fairly often, but it's not nearly the same as when they were little.  I wasn't in their lives as babies, but they youngest one I was (now he's 16), and some of my fondest memories are watching him in the backyard underneath a swingset, not using the swings or anything, but rather sitting in the dirt playing with his trucks (he was a big Bob the Builder fan back then), and just getting completely filthy from head to toe.  

It's awesome that you guys both go to games with your girls.  You already know this, but cherish those moments.  It kinda sucks when you have fewer and fewer of them.  Also, take lots of pictures.  Storage is cheap, and they'll be priceless later on.  

Anyway, enough of the sob stuff.  In your famous words...LGMFD! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wait until 12-13, and pray she doesn’t turn into a “teenager”. Attitude for days lol. 

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It's awesome that you guys both go to games with your girls.  You already know this, but cherish those moments. 

Never expected it, didn’t even encourage it, she just loves going. Plus, I’m awesome. She’s always liked when we have time just the two of us. We have our own places we eat and stuff we do that my wife doesn’t enjoy so it’s just ours. 

Wouldn't mind if my wife came to the games, of course, but she’s not interested. And I do love those daddy daughter moments. Probably stems from my own childhood, my generation’s parents were mostly different in terms of dad spending time with the kids. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Exactly, and I can tell you the next 11 years will seem to go by twice as fast as the first 11 did.  Completely unexpected, I took the fast track through life and two of my three step-kids are grown and doing their own thing now.  Thankfully they're still local and I see them fairly often, but it's not nearly the same as when they were little.  I wasn't in their lives as babies, but they youngest one I was (now he's 16), and some of my fondest memories are watching him in the backyard underneath a swingset, not using the swings or anything, but rather sitting in the dirt playing with his trucks (he was a big Bob the Builder fan back then), and just getting completely filthy from head to toe.  

It's awesome that you guys both go to games with your girls.  You already know this, but cherish those moments.  It kinda sucks when you have fewer and fewer of them.  Also, take lots of pictures.  Storage is cheap, and they'll be priceless later on.  

Anyway, enough of the sob stuff.  In your famous words...LGMFD! :D

Sometimes I'm amazed that she still even wants to go, because the product has been so meh for much of her hockey existence...she's seen a LOT of bad Devils hockey.  I lost my sh!t after the Devils fell behind 2-0 to the Stars and as I was ranting and raving beside her, I blurted out that I wasn't going to another game after the Anaheim one...my daughter looked crushed for a moment and asked "Daddy, are we really not going to go anymore?  I like going to games with you!"  Loved the fact that being with me was the real draw for her...of course, the food we get in the Loft, Restaurant or Lounge seats doesn't hurt either, heh heh.  She can eat, which I guess must be part of the reason that she seems to be growing about an inch per week lately.  She's not far behind Mommy at this point.

Anyhoo, I'm not asking for a win tonight, just for the Devils to look like they belong on the ice with a team like the Caps.  Don't be down 3-0 about halfway through the first and looking completely baffled and helpless.  Please.

LGMFD!

• Like 2