Trade Deadline Thread Monday, Feb. 24. Time: 3 p.m. ET

Daniel

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

No he hasn’t. People have short memories. He killed it with his first couple trades. 

He got a great return for both Greene and Coleman. I’ll admit that but Vatanen is your best trade piece that’s a free agent and will most likely not stay. You have to get something over nothing. Or sign him to give us some sort of relief. And not let July 1 come and he has more than us offering contracts. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

lol if 50-55 points is the ceiling for your best player then ouch.

I know we have been a toilet team for the past 7-8 years, but let's not become conditioned to think "pretty good" as being something to hang onto.

...and where did I say he would be our best player?    I said you need to keep some quality veterans around and that is exactly what he is. Is there all of a sudden not a need for 55 point players capable of potting 30 goals in the NHL?   He's also young enough to have several more productive seasons.     

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

No it isn't. It is advocating for not just giving him away. Right now he one of the few players that even makes us competitive and younger guys need veterans around.  

This is such an old and outdated take.  It's the same mentality Lou has when he trades a second rounder for Andy Greene.

Just now, Lateralous said:

...and where did I say he would be our best player?    I said you need to keep some quality veterans around and that is exactly what he is. Is there all of a sudden not a need for 55 point players capable of potting 30 goals in the NHL?   He's also young enough to have several more productive seasons.     

Guy is 29.  He likely has about 3-4 more years left of good, productive season.

Why is everyone screaming about needing veterans around when we have guys like Zajac hanging around?

This is such an old and outdated take.  It's the same mentality Lou has when he trades a second rounder for Andy Greene.

No it isn't. Having stable veteran guys on your team helps younger players develop on and off the ice. Keeping palms is hardly the same as Lou trading for the corpse of a former player. 

No it isn't. Having stable veteran guys on your team helps younger players develop on and off the ice. Keeping palms is hardly the same as Lou trading for the corpse of a former player. 

Zajac is around.

Also "veterans" that the Devils have recently had that have also been called leaders by the players themselves:

Simmonds

Stafford

Boyle

Sorry, but "veteran leadership" not as hard to find as you think.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Zajac is around.

Also "veterans" that the Devils have recently had that have also been called leaders by the players themselves:

Simmonds

Stafford

Boyle

Sorry, but "veteran leadership" not as hard to find as you think.

You need a guy that can go out and lead by example on the score sheet. Zajac and Suban are vets but Palms is the one that goes out and makes it happen up front. You need a guy like that who can lead by example when and where it matters...not just a Zajac shutdown kind of guy that goes out every night and plays consistent. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

Just now, Fansinz88 said:

At this point Nico has veteran leadership. 

No way.  He hasn't hit some magical and arbitrary guideline made by the fans to have veteran leadership.

You need a guy that can go out and lead by example on the score sheet. Zajac and Suban are vets but Palms is the one that goes out and makes it happen up front. 

lol so without Palms then guys like Hughes and Nico are screwed?

Big yikes

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

He sticks around and do what exactly?  By the time the Devils are relevant again he is gone and/or falling apart.

This is advocating for keeping him for the sake of keeping him.

No, like others have mentioned, he is a reasonably productive player (who does have chemistry with Nico) and you're assuming the team can't possibly be competitive within three years.  They have a goalie who looks like he could be a good one (and don't underestimate how rotten every goalie not named Blackwood has been since the team last made the playoffs, save for Cory playing pretty well at the end of last year), two centers, and a gaggle of first-round picks.  Also money to play with, though of course if they decide to try to go the UFA route for any big moves, the Devils have to find players willing to take it.  

They can't all be stars or superstars.  I see a guy who's been solid since the day he's been here, and I think he could be solid for several more years...able to provide numbers AND some leadership.  So unless it's for an overwhelming return, this is one player that I'm willing to take a chance on keeping around.  It's not feels, keeping for the sake of keeping, none of that.  I simply feel very strongly that he is not part of the problem in the slightest...and has a lot to offer for several more years, even if he's not some pure point beast.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

am.. devs still havnt 3 wingers for first two lines, but we will trade palms who can score 25-30 goals for late first round pick who may or may not score goals? Last years we picked Matteau, JJ, Tedenby, Bergfors, Tedenby, Corrente, Quenneville, Mcleod in late first round. They are all suck. If we look at last 10 years - only Pasternyak is better than Palmieri from 25-30 picks of first rounds. And he grow with Bergerone and Marchand. 

it`s stupid gamble to trade Palms who is freaking 7th in goals of RW in entire league in 5 years!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No, like others have mentioned, he is a reasonably productive player (who does have chemistry with Nico) and you're assuming the team can't possibly be competitive within three years.  They have a goalie who looks like he could be a good one (and don't underestimate how rotten every goalie not named Blackwood has been since the team last made the playoffs, save for Cory playing pretty well at the end of last year), two centers, and a gaggle of first-round picks.  Also money to play with, though of course if they decide to try to go the UFA route for any big moves, the Devils have to find players willing to take it.  

They can't all be stars or superstars.  I see a guy who's been solid since the day he's been here, and I think he could be solid for several more years...able to provide numbers AND some leadership.  So unless it's for an overwhelming return, this is one player that I'm willing to take a chance on keeping around.  It's not feels, keeping for the sake of keeping, none of that.  I simply feel very strongly that he is not part of the problem in the slightest...and has a lot to offer for several more years, even if he's not some pure point beast.

Free agents are not flocking to NJ; at least not the top tier ones.  So that's out.

"Veteran Leadership" is a term that is thrown around way too much.  We already have some in Zajac and now the emergence of Nico.  Plus like I said on an earlier post, "veteran leadership" can be had pretty plentiful and on the cheap in the UFA market.

I don't hate Palmieri in any way.  He is not the problem.  However, he was part of a core that was rotten and needs a hard reset.  I don't want to keep guys from the Shero era just because of some vague concept of leadership and for 50 points which is good, but nothing great in the grand scheme of things.  I want to move on already.

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

We’ve already seen Hughes sh!t the bed this year chained to Simmonds, let’s double down and give both Hughes and Nico two Simmonds types next year.

Yup, because Hughes has had zero to do with his own play.  It is 100% on his linemates.

But I guess as long as we keep pointing to Thornton from 22 seasons ago we can still hold out hope that he turns out OK, am I right?

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Who is saying this specifically? Way to take something and run with it out of context.

This argument is pointless and tired.

lol you all want Palmieri to stay largely because of some vague notion of leadership and are conditioned after nearly decade of sucking that he is something more than he is.

It really needs to stop.  Rip the band-aid off of this and get rid of the old Lou/Shero years already.  Shero's biggest issue was he never fully tore it down when he should of.  I don't want the Devils to make that mistake twice.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yup, because Hughes has had zero to do with his own play.  It is 100% on his linemates.

But I guess as long as we keep pointing to Thornton from 22 seasons ago we can still hold out hope that he turns out OK, am I right?

Hockey is a team sport, but yea lets place the blame on the doorstep if the 18 year old kid that people hyped up expectations for on a team of failures. 

Hes a fvcking bust. Everyone go home.

• Thanks 1

Free agents are not flocking to NJ; at least not the top tier ones.  So that's out.

"Veteran Leadership" is a term that is thrown around way too much.  We already have some in Zajac and now the emergence of Nico.  Plus like I said on an earlier post, "veteran leadership" can be had pretty plentiful and on the cheap in the UFA market.

I don't hate Palmieri in any way.  He is not the problem.  However, he was part of a core that was rotten and needs a hard reset.  I don't want to keep guys from the Shero era just because of some vague concept of leadership and for 50 points which is good, but nothing great in the grand scheme of things.  I want to move on already.

Part of me wants to agree. But part of me also knows its possible nobody else even sniffs 50 points on this team. 

If he was expiring, sure, send him out. But I have no problem bringing him back where basically everyone else next year is going to have very little experience in the NHL, and probably a not of 50 point seasons to go around for their entire careers. 

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Joe Thornton's stats from a year ago would make him the top point guy on our team lol. also, big difference between a dude who is basically my age and a guy that's Palmieri lol. 

lol you all want Palmieri to stay largely because of some vague notion of leadership and are conditioned after nearly decade of sucking that he is something more than he is.

It really needs to stop.  Rip the band-aid off of this and get rid of the old Lou/Shero years already.  Shero's biggest issue was he never fully tore it down when he should of.  I don't want the Devils to make that mistake twice.

How well do you expect players to develop when they win 15 games a year? Palms is one of our only goal scorers. Losing 90% of games like Detroit does nothing for their development. It turns us into Edmonton without McDavid. Players get better when they win.

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Ffs you’re something else. 

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The bolded is where I think you're going off the rails.  You have Palms as somehow being guilty by association because he played on some bad teams while Shero was the GM.  That somehow keeping him around will taint the "new order" (however the team comes together under Fitz...another GM getting the job just seems like it would be a shock at this point).  I just can't agree with that take.  

There's plenty of other guys you can move on from, and we've already seen some of that (Hall, Greene, Coleman (somewhat painfully in Blake's case, but it was for a hell for a return), and now Simmonds).  I don't think EVERY single guy's gotta go because he has ties to Shero.  

EDIT:  And now Vats apparently, to Carolina.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1