The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

I see now, yeah that's... there be some photoshopping or something.

Again treading lightly here so as to not head down the "internet bullying" path but like... if you were going to spend that much time shopping a picture why would you spend the time on a photo with such a stupid facial expression.

The stupid facial expression is probably required in order to get the picture to look the way that she wanted it to look. Stretch this, take a picture at that angle, etc.

That’s why they make those faces, they think they can make themselves look better that way.

I'm not gonna comment on anyone's looks since I look like I got punched in the face with a Buick, but I do wish little things like game rosters weren't treated like government secrets.

As mentioned before, Gulliti twice this preseason had that info hours before we heard anything. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm not gonna comment on anyone's looks since I look like I got punched in the face with a Buick

It’s probably not the right thing to be doing. But, it’s fair game to point out that the pictures don’t match, whether you like picture A or picture B better. Using an old picture as your profile picture elicits that response across all platforms, imho. 

• Like 2

I don't mean to pile on Amanda because I appreciate her enthusiasm and I don't think she's quite as bad as she's made out to be. But I find it funny how she always gets to be the first to ask players questions in the post-game interviews, and they're always these long winded questions that end up being these simple yes or no questions. It's reminiscent of the Chris Farley Show.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

She also has a habit of chuckling mid-ask during ~80% of her questions. 

Still never got the lineup until right before puck-drop. Did get plenty of tweets about how Kuokkanen gave her a high-five though:

Amanda Stein Retweeted

@amandacstein

5h

Just saying, today at #NJDevils morning skate Janne and I high-fived through the glass along the boards. Now he has two assists.

• Like 1

This seems a bit unfair on Amanda, she will be constrained by what the team is asking her to do/not do, she is an employee of the team, she can't just go round throwing stuff out there. Is she the best? No, is she terrible? No.  She is enthusiastic and she is passionate about the team, it could be a lot worse  

The quality of the beat writers covering the Devil's has absolutely gone to sh!t though. We were blessed with TG for such a long time it was always going to be a downgrade. Andrew Gross was doing a decent job and over time I think he would have been on par with TG. I still follow his Islanders coverage and he is quick off the mark with breaking content. 

The Devil's current crew are shocking. I stopped following Abby Mastracco as it was perfectly obvious she wants to cover baseball.  Not even sure if she is still on the Devil's , but couldn't care less if she was. 

Chris Ryan was ok , but then seemed to lose all enthusiasm. Anything he seems to put together looks like he copied and pasted it from the team website. 

Cory does an ok job. But agree that lately he has been slow picking stuff up. The Athletic leans very heavily on analytics at the moment for hockey , and it's becoming a bit dry. 

The coverage of the team could certainly use a shot in the arm either way. 

Edit: ok shot in the arm was probably not the best choice of words. I will respect the media coverages right to choose if it has the shot. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, nessus said:

I don't mean to pile on Amanda because I appreciate her enthusiasm and I don't think she's quite as bad as she's made out to be. But I find it funny how she always gets to be the first to ask players questions in the post-game interviews, and they're always these long winded questions that end up being these simple yes or no questions. It's reminiscent of the Chris Farley Show.

I have noticed over the years that it is a technique that reporters often use to make a softball question seem more in-depth than they actually are.  Since Amanda is a team employee, she is forced to only ask softball questions.

8 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The cynic in me thinks she wants the mean comments to quote tweet, get validation from her followers, etc. Happens too often it seems.

Seems to love the attention.

She absolutely CRAVES attention; negative or not.

What's funny (and kinda sad at the same time) is that she is not the worst one with that.  Civian is Amanda on steroids in regards to craving any sort of attention.

7 hours ago, MB3 said:

she got in the habit a few years ago of replying to / publicly shaming anyone who said mean things to her on twitter. and, if you know twitter, you know the best way to avoid twitter trolls is to engage them and ask for more.

People have actually told her very gently to stop engaging with trolls only to be met with her and her thirsty male white-knights and her 'YASSS QUEEN!" fangirls blasting said person.

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This seems a bit unfair on Amanda, she will be constrained by what the team is asking her to do/not do, she is an employee of the team, she can't just go round throwing stuff out there. Is she the best? No, is she terrible? No.  She is enthusiastic and she is passionate about the team, it could be a lot worse  

The quality of the beat writers covering the Devil's has absolutely gone to sh!t though. We were blessed with TG for such a long time it was always going to be a downgrade. Andrew Gross was doing a decent job and over time I think he would have been on par with TG. I still follow his Islanders coverage and he is quick off the mark with breaking content. 

The Devil's current crew are shocking. I stopped following Abby Mastracco as it was perfectly obvious she wants to cover baseball.  Not even sure if she is still on the Devil's , but couldn't care less if she was. 

Chris Ryan was ok , but then seemed to lose all enthusiasm. Anything he seems to put together looks like he copied and pasted it from the team website. 

Cory does an ok job. But agree that lately he has been slow picking stuff up. The Athletic leans very heavily on analytics at the moment for hockey , and it's becoming a bit dry. 

The coverage of the team could certainly use a shot in the arm either way. 

Edit: ok shot in the arm was probably not the best choice of words. I will respect the media coverages right to choose if it has the shot. 

Abbey was laid off when the pandemic started.  She happened to be the only person laid off in her paper's sports section which indicates they were looking to part with her regardless.  She always seemed annoyed to cover the Devils and would tweet out updates about the Mets during a Devils game she was physically attending.

Chris Ryan seemed like he hated covering the Devils towards the end and got really snarky at anyone who criticized him.  I got blocked by him over a year ago and I never even tweeted at him or replied to him ever lol.

Corey has been getting sloppy lately.  You are correct that he is very focused on the analytics part of the game and it does indeed gets dry.

I really don't know what is going on with the Devils with their beat writers.  For the past few years they have been regularly out-scooped by reporters who do not even follow the Devils exclusively.  Now, they are getting out-scooped by rando's on the internet (Crawford retiring was "broken" by a poster on the Devils reddit for example).  Now, they are down to two beat writers where one is behind a paywall and the other is a glorified PR spokesperson.

I openly wondered yesterday on here if the Devils org is to blame for this.  I have heard rumors that the Devils keep tight control over the reporters in their locker rooms.  I have heard more than one story about team employees hovering over reporters shoulders during post-game interviews and threats of revocation of credentials if the wrong questions are asked.  It would make a lot of sense of why we are where we are with two reporters afraid or cannot put out info and two newspapers who seemingly gave up on reporting on the team. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

lol that is a major yikes seeing them in the same message. 

if you work in a public stratosphere and use a catfish-style profile picture of yourself you should probably expect some not so nice comments on the internet about it. just use an actual picture of yourself from this millennium? 

Or if you're not really fully happy with the way you look in the present (why post an older "fitter" pic otherwise), don't even go with a picture of yourself at all...not like it's mandatory.  Anybody who's seen Amanda lately knows she outgrew that older photo about 50 lbs ago...it is what it is (not like she's the first person ever to have gained a significant amount of weight in her life at some point), but yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing that gets the trolls going.  And like DM84 and others have mentioned, almost seems like she likes the attention no matter what form it comes in.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Or if you're not really fully happy with the way you look in the present (why post an older "fitter" pic otherwise), don't even go with a picture of yourself at all...not like it's mandatory.  Anybody who's seen Amanda lately knows she outgrew that older photo about 50 lbs ago...it is what it is (not like she's the first person ever to have gained a significant amount of weight in her life at some point), but yeah, that's exactly the kind of thing that gets the trolls going.  And like DM84 and others have mentioned, almost seems like she likes the attention no matter what form it comes in.  

Well stated. I could care less if she gained 50 pounds, but using the skinny picture when it’s clearly a long time ago, and you are a public figure, makes no sense.