The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

McLeod isn’t nearly as frustrating because you never see the flashes of greatness from him like you do with Zacha. And he never puts together stretches of good play, only to tease us into thinking he might finally be breaking out. He just is what he is. A 4C that kills penalties and is good at face offs. That’s literally it.

I expect much more than that out of Zacha. 

Correct, which is why draft position is not the ONLY reason we expect more from Zacha. 

23 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

McLeod isn’t nearly as frustrating because you never see the flashes of greatness from him like you do with Zacha. And he never puts together stretches of good play, only to tease us into thinking he might finally be breaking out. He just is what he is. A 4C that kills penalties and is good at face offs. That’s literally it.

I expect much more than that out of Zacha. 

Not to mention that in their soggiest of dreams, no one would ever hope for McLeod to score 28 goals and add 29 assists over any 82 game stretch (Zacha just did this).  If anything, it kinda sucks at the moment that Zacha’s been in extended slump, but I really don’t see anyone beating up on him all that much these days…not yet. I’m still hopeful that he can start picking up points again.  

Yeah I don’t think the hope is “4th liner who’s good on faceoffs and kills penalties” from a 12th-overall pick, but at least it looks like the Devils will get something out of McLeod.  Not saying it’s a great pick by any stretch, and would be nice to see more offense out of him, but sucks even more when they never even make it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Not taking Chychrun during the 2016 draft after he was expected to be the first defenseman drafted, and somehow fell out of the top 10, was a head scratcher even back then. It's a lesson in why you take the best player available with your first round pick always, no matter what, every time. At least the Devils ended up with a first round-quality player in Bratt from that draft. But it's true that McLeod's upside seems pretty limited. I agree with @MB3 that Zacha got a lot of unfair criticism. It doesn't always make sense who becomes the team scapegoat.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Anyone notice Lindy’s left eye looks really droopy? I really he’s okay health wise but, it almost looks stroke-ish…

I haven't paid much attention to him all year. In fact, last night when I saw him on the bench I forgot he was back, I thought we still has Nas there.  That's how bad our coaching has been this season....

On 1/8/2022 at 11:45 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Everyone thought McLeod was a reach when we drafted him. No one expected much of him from the beginning. 

That's 100% true.

Nobody thought McLeod was going to be anything special when we drafted him. I still remember vividly that draft and based on projections, after Jost that year, there was a MAJOR drop in talent (and even Jost is not panning out). So once Jost got picked right before our pick. We knew we weren't going to lose much so we traded down with Ottawa and got a 3rd round pick (Brandon Gignac). And Ottawa picked Logan Brown, who's doing even less than McLeod.

Any players who became something like McAvoy or Chychrun is really a hindsight 20/20 thing. Nobody were shocked that they were still left on the board when they got picked or something

• Like 1

Problem is he's been in a "roll" he's beginning to handle pretty good. He might be able to move up to 3rd line from time to time.  Now he's a some what physical, has speed & a decent shot. 

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I remember when McLeod got picked and all the experts were basically saying “well he’s very fast…”

I was kinda-sorta hopeful that his putting up solid OHL numbers might somehow translate into 35-40 points per 82 GP as an NHLer in time, but obviously that feels like a pipe dream now.  Sucks a little in that it appears he's topped out as a speedy (but offensively-challenged) 4th-liner who's become very good on face-offs...we saw what happened when he was given a shot to play on a higher line.  We pretty much have to approach him the way we approach Zacha, in that you have to set aside where they were drafted, and hope that they are able to carve out solid careers doing whatever is asked of them (even if, in McLeod's case, it's nothing glamorous).  And speaking of Zacha, really hope that he isn't destined to be forever enigmatic...that 82-game stretch I've references (was so close to 30 G and 30 A) really had me believing he was ready to become a consistent contributor...not a star, but at least a guy who had a reasonable shot to notch 50 points per 82 GP.  He can't go back to what he was prior.         

So with our game being postponed tonight and our next game being Thursday against the Isles, it appears that our game Saturday vs the Canadians is still also postponed.... yet the Canadians are able to play th Bruins on Wednesday?  What's that about?

Is Us-cmCanada professional sports travel no longer temporarily on hold? If not, how come we can't play the Canadians this weekend? I double checked and it's not just limited to that particular team either - the Lightning and Canucks are supposedly on schedule to play on Thursday as well. So, I don't get it...

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So with our game being postponed tonight and our next game being Thursday against the Isles, it appears that our game Saturday vs the Canadians is still also postponed.... yet the Canadians are able to play th Bruins on Wednesday?  What's that about?

Is Us-cmCanada professional sports travel no longer temporarily on hold? If not, how come we can't play the Canadians this weekend? I double checked and it's not just limited to that particular team either - the Lightning and Canucks are supposedly on schedule to play on Thursday as well. So, I don't get it...

Canadian government is preventing teams up there from having fans in the stands.  No fans = missed revenue.  That is the reason why Canadian-based teams are still playing away games but getting their home games re-scheduled until fans are allowed back inside.

11 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

"It's getting better. It's starting to grow. It's what I need to do, continue to get better and take steps every day," said Smith, adding that he's been working very closely with assistant coach Alain Nasreddine to get his game back on track. 

Pretty sure this is a recipe on how NOT to get your game back on track.

That article is out of date too...Smith has gone five games without a point (and no goals in his last 23 GP...he managed six assists).  He's also been on the ice for just 32:13 combined over the last three games (and has often looked like complete ass).  I'd say things are not trending in the right direction.    

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Canadian government is preventing teams up there from having fans in the stands.  No fans = missed revenue.  That is the reason why Canadian-based teams are still playing away games but getting their home games re-scheduled until fans are allowed back inside.

Oh I gotcha, that makes sense.  I didn't look closely enough to see that the Canadian teams were only playing away games.