The New Jersey Devils 2021-22 Regular Season Thread

mfitz804

55 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hopefully he spends plenty of time over the offseason getting used to it (I’m sure he will). 

If his present face protection was his issue this season, he should be wearing that cage 24/7 until opening night. 

• Like 1

I honestly think that explains Dougie's subpar play since he came back. How could you be as aggressive on the ice when you recently got your face smashed in? It has got to be in the back of your mind at all times. Same thing happened to Nico when he returned from injury.

Watched Damon Seversons post game yesterday, he was talking about career highs and how it didn't really mean anything as the team was not competitive again. 

I haven't been tracking his numbers at all but was actually surprised to see how well he had done , at least at one end of the ice. 

Points wise he is close to being inside the top 20 in the league. He has outscored players like Heiskanen. Got me questioning if he is a player we should be looking to retain long term and keep as part of the core. 

2 hours ago, nessus said:

I honestly think that explains Dougie's subpar play since he came back. How could you be as aggressive on the ice when you recently got your face smashed in? It has got to be in the back of your mind at all times. Same thing happened to Nico when he returned from injury.

So you’re saying theres a chance he may never be the same… if that were the case, that would truly be our fvcking luck.

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Watched Damon Seversons post game yesterday, he was talking about career highs and how it didn't really mean anything as the team was not competitive again. 

I haven't been tracking his numbers at all but was actually surprised to see how well he had done , at least at one end of the ice. 

Points wise he is close to being inside the top 20 in the league. He has outscored players like Heiskanen. Got me questioning if he is a player we should be looking to retain long term and keep as part of the core. 

He really does make some stupid mistakes, but on a better team a lot less would prob end up in the back of his own net and would seem a lot more forgivable. 9/10 mistakes he makes now end up as goals because the team around him can't cover for his brain farts.

4 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

So you’re saying theres a chance he may never be the same… if that were the case, that would truly be our fvcking luck.

There's a chance he is fine in the long run as well. I don't think there is anything to worry about right now and I can totally see how an injury like that could affect a player's mental game for a while. Mental game aside, getting hit in the head is never good and it can take some time to get himself back to normal. We have seen many times how head injuries go. Also, I am not sure about this, but I do think he still has hardware in his jaw as well so he gets a lot of slack from me for even coming back this season. I'll worry if he doesn't bounce back by next year, but for now he has a pass.

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Oh God no. sh!t defensemen that put up points are a dime a dozen. Marek Zidlicky, Will Butcher, Rasmus Ristolainen, Michael DelZotto, Mike Green are all exhibit A’s. You don’t win with those type of players. 

I wouldn’t bend over backwards to even keep him on the third pair. Sometimes you just have to let players that don’t know how to win, move on. See Zacha, Pavel.

Edited by devlman

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

There's a chance he is fine in the long run as well. I don't think there is anything to worry about right now and I can totally see how an injury like that could affect a player's mental game for a while. Mental game aside, getting hit in the head is never good and it can take some time to get himself back to normal. We have seen many times how head injuries go. Also, I am not sure about this, but I do think he still has hardware in his jaw as well so he gets a lot of slack from me for even coming back this season. I'll worry if he doesn't bounce back by next year, but for now he has a pass.

I agree with all of this, i also believe that there hasn’t been much to really be enticed to play hard for since the teams position has been irrelevant and i think that could also have something to do with it. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’m all for re-signing Severson if he takes another team friendly deal. He’s currently one of the better value contracts out there. 

Team friendly would be great if he’s staying on the second pairing and getting some kind of help. His offense has been great. He needs help with his decision making for sure but he’s not the kind of player you can just replace. 

My worry about him though has been that he’s a prime candidate to get huge offers as a UFA. I’m not sure how team friendly his contract could be if his agent gets him to the open market 

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

My worry about him though has been that he’s a prime candidate to get huge offers as a UFA. I’m not sure how team friendly his contract could be if his agent gets him to the open market 

Agree, but he’s also apparently said he wants to come back, which implies he would give a discount in my eyes. If he was looking for the most money he could get, he probably wouldn’t have said that. 

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Agree, but he’s also apparently said he wants to come back, which implies he would give a discount in my eyes. If he was looking for the most money he could get, he probably wouldn’t have said that. 

Hmm… don’t think I’ve ever heard one of them mention they want to come back and not actually mean it

6 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Team friendly would be great if he’s staying on the second pairing and getting some kind of help. His offense has been great. He needs help with his decision making for sure but he’s not the kind of player you can just replace. 

I believe he has another year with the Devils. Right-hand shot defensemen are hard to come by. Severson helps with the offense, but he tends to make bad decisions. That is why he is a toss up for me. I have never heard that he said he wanted to remain a Devil. I suspect he will want max money, why not, he knows he is always a risk to be traded. I would trade him. I'll take good defense over his production on offense. The Devils need goaltending and defense first. Then they need some scorers. Just because they have 4 20-goal scorers, you must consider scoring is up this season. 

FWIW just from the eye test, Severson (along with PK) have probably been our best d-men since the ASG.  Go figure.

Meanwhile Siegenthaler regressed a bit since all those articles praising him came out around the ASG time.  Dougie hasn't been the same since his injury as well.

Screenshot_20220418-155915_Firefox.thumb.jpg.ec9487d67ef50440f4aad2a34ec1b531.jpg

23 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’m all for re-signing Severson if he takes another team friendly deal. He’s currently one of the better value contracts out there. 

That's the list of D-men filtered by points and their current contracts. The further down the list it certainly becomes obvious the Damon is good value in the context of that list. 

• Like 1

Not saying it’s here, but there are WAY too many people jumping on the “Bring PDB back to NJ!” bandwagon, especially since last night probably sealed Vegas not making it.

The guy can win a conference title with established rosters but we are not that… yet. He isn’t the answer, IMO

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jagknife said:

Not saying it’s here, but there are WAY too many people jumping on the “Bring PDB back to NJ!” bandwagon, especially since last night probably sealed Vegas not making it.

The guy can win a conference title with established rosters but we are not that… yet. He isn’t the answer, IMO

I rather have PDB over ruff 

• Like 1