2021-2022 Around the League thread

MadDog2020

2 hours ago, devlman said:

So keep him as a backup for one year at age 37 and let him retire a Ranger..asking too much?

Look it up…he played during his Age 37 season, but that’s when he started to lose playing time to Shesterkin (and Georgiev was also there…both were outplaying Lundqvist).  There was no reason to let a well-past his prime Lundqvist stick around for his Age 38 season (what would have been the  final year of his contract), especially with two young goalies ready to go.  Sometimes you have to move on, painful as it might be initially for all involved.

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Look it up…he played during his Age 37 season, but that’s when he started to lose playing time to Shesterkin (and Georgiev was also there…both were outplaying Lundqvist).  There was no reason to let a well-past his prime Lundqvist stick around for his Age 38 season (what would have been the  final year of his contract), especially with two young goalies ready to go.  Sometimes you have to move on, painful as it might be initially for all involved.

He had one year left on his deal. After what he gave that franchise, they couldn’t let him ride pine and go out a Rag? Not like Georgiev was much better than him at that point or that they were even contending. They still stunk at that point. They’re a sh!tbag franchise.

Edited by devlman

It's painful to admit. But the Rangers are ahead of us in their rebuild in parts because they didn't let it drag like we did and they made those hard decisions to move on from players at the right time and get something from other players. So they may appear like jerks to let go of the Queen, but they had to.

Of course they are also ahead because superstars only want to go play there and only there. But they also made good moves to jumpstart their rebuild.

Dang… We have goalie problems but Buffalo is also going through some 

Michael Houser - COVID Protocol

Ukko Pekka Luukkonen - out week-to-week
Craig Anderson - DTD
Malcolm Subban - out for the season
Dustin Tokarski - lingering COVID effects
Aaron Dell - suspended 3 games

Anderson and Tokarski are dressing for the next game but both are banged up. 

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It's painful to admit. But the Rangers are ahead of us in their rebuild in parts because they didn't let it drag like we did and they made those hard decisions to move on from players at the right time and get something from other players. So they may appear like jerks to let go of the Queen, but they had to.

Of course they are also ahead because superstars only want to go play there and only there. But they also made good moves to jumpstart their rebuild.

this. 

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Oh please. Let’s not sit here jerking off to the Rangers as if they didn’t get fvcking lucky with their rebuild. Aside from Lundqvist, who they tossed aside like trash at age 38, they weren’t magically discarding players away any better than we had been. Lundqvist is no example of their rebuild going any better.

Edited by devlman

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Oh please. Let’s not sit here jerking off to the Rangers as if they didn’t get fvcking lucky with their rebuild. Aside from Lundqvist, who they tossed aside like trash at age 38, they weren’t magically discarding players away any better than we had been. Lundqvist is no example of their rebuild going any better.

The Rags also have the luxury of always having some team come along to take bad contracts off their hands 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

Seems disingenuous at best to compare stats on a point-per-game basis when Hughes broke into the NHL a full year and a half earlier than Zegs.

For my money I still choose Hughes. But Zegras is going to be electrifying to watch. 

This. 

If Jack entered the league in his age 20 season (this year) and was putting up a PPG like he is now he’d be getting even more hype than Zegras. 

That draft (that many considered “weak”) is starting to produce some really good players - Hughes, Zegras, Seider…and the fact that none of them are Kaapo Kakko is glorious. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Where is the Devils rebuild if Artemi Panarin had chosen NJ, and only NJ to bring his talents to? Not to mention landing a Norris trophy winning dman like Fox out of college. For comparison’s sake the Devils landed Will Butcher in a similar situation.  See a difference? 

• Like 2

Personally and I've said it before I take no solace in winning 3 cups the last one 19-20 years ago. This season will be a decade without winning a playoff round.  The rags at least most seasons over the last decade have played meaningful games post december.  If we're hanging onto we have three cups from 2 decades plus ago and that brings you guys peace great. But give me games that actually mean something the second half of each season as a start, we can't even get there.  They never really left there for more than a season or two (I don't know I don't care enough to look it up).  My point is we don't live in a glass house we live in a sh!thouse and until that changes I'll worry about how bad our situation remains rather than anybody else's. 

If we want to fall back on we're the poor step child I guess we can do that too if that helps take away some of the sting of being a doormat.

Asking for meaningful games in the second half of the season really shouldn't be crippling after a decade and personally I say f*ck the Lou/Shero and anybody else excuses. Fitz sitting on his hands with this coaching staff is no god damn better. 

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

Personally and I've said it before I take no solace in winning 3 cups the last one 19-20 years ago. This season will be a decade without winning a playoff round.  The rags at least most seasons over the last decade have played meaningful games post december.  If we're hanging onto we have three cups from 2 decades plus ago and that brings you guys peace great. But give me games that actually mean something the second half of each season as a start, we can't even get there.  They never really left there for more than a season or two (I don't know I don't care enough to look it up).  My point is we don't live in a glass house we live in a sh!thouse and until that changes I'll worry about how bad our situation remains rather than anybody else's. 

If we want to fall back on we're the poor step child I guess we can do that too if that helps take away some of the sting of being a doormat.

Asking for meaningful games in the second half of the season really shouldn't be crippling after a decade and personally I say f*ck the Lou/Shero and anybody else excuses. Fitz sitting on his hands with this coaching staff is no god damn better. 

I'm with you on a lot of this and sure they are looking good right now but they missed the playoffs for 4 years straight(no I'm not counting that bs 2020 system where Carolina swept them in 3 games anyway) and they finished dead last in the division 17-18 and second to last in 18-19 and 19-20. 

They also had 7 straight misses from 97-98 to 03-04 while the Devils were winning some cups and making the playoffs every year. I know this team blows now and our situation sucks and I'm not making any excuses for it but the Rangers and Henrik had their window for a cup win, one we even stopped. I don't envy anything about the Rangers. Their color blue is putrid. 

The moral of my story is fvck the Rangers. 

8 hours ago, devlman said:

I hate the Rangers as much as anyone, but your “Lundqvist got screwed” take is so off-base.  C’mon, how many teams go into any given season with three goalies that are all expecting to play?  Again, the Rangers had TWO young capable goalies who deserved to play, and one who would be 38 the following season whose level of play was headed in the wrong direction.  Lundqvist had turned in three straight mehish decline seasons, despite being paid handsomely…the Rangers were supposed to just let that continue for another year, at the expense of everyone else?  When they had younger, better (and much cheaper) options in house?

You know how this can work…sometimes it makes no sense whatsoever to make personnel decisions based purely on sentimentality…besides, what makes you think Lundqvist himself would’ve been happy as the #3, with both Georgiev and Shesterkin slotted to be the tandem (barring injury).  Would a guy like Lundqvist be on board with becoming the “If Worse Comes To Worst, Play This Guy” netminder?  Is that how one of the Rangers’ best goalies would want to go out in his final season in NY?  These situations can become very uncomfortable for all involved very quickly, especially when an aging declining former star (who may or may not realize that he’s no longer what he was) is part of the equation.  

And if not for Lundqvist’s heart condition, he would been playing for the Caps…he was able to find another job.  Who knows how it would’ve gone, but at least that situation wouldn’t have been nearly as awkward as it would have been had he stuck around with the Rangers.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I Would a guy like Lundqvist be on board with becoming the “If Worse Comes To Worst, Play This Guy” netminder?  

I’m pretty sure if he wanted that situation, he would have had it. As a team they could have done a lot worse than having two young goalies that look like they are going to be very good being mentored by their long-time star in his final run. 

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

This. 

If Jack entered the league in his age 20 season (this year) and was putting up a PPG like he is now he’d be getting even more hype than Zegras. 

That draft (that many considered “weak”) is starting to produce some really good players - Hughes, Zegras, Seider…and the fact that none of them are Kaapo Kakko is glorious. 

Just to point out again, I was not being serious.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, devlman said:

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Where is the Devils rebuild if Artemi Panarin had chosen NJ, and only NJ to bring his talents to? Not to mention landing a Norris trophy winning dman like Fox out of college. For comparison’s sake the Devils landed Will Butcher in a similar situation.  See a difference? 

I did mentioned that they were lucky cause superstars only wanted to go there and everything. I also gave them credit for making tough decisions.

They bought out Dan Girardi, they traded their back up goalie (Raata) and their #1 center (Stepan), got the 7th overall pick, mentioning a rebuild coming. Then few months later they straight up released a statement to the fans announcing a rebuild. 

Then they traded Grabner (29 yo, 31 pts at that time), Holden (30 yo, 12pts), Nash (33 yo, 28pts), McDonagh (28 yo, 26 pts and their top scoring dman, J.T. Miller (24 yo, 40 pts).

From all that they got, Rob O’Gara and a 2018 third-round pick. Yegor Rykov and a 2018 second-round pick. Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, Ryan Lindgren, a 2018 first-round pick, and 2019 seventh-round pick. Vladislav Namestnikov, Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, a 2018 first-round pick and a conditional 2019 second-round pick.

This is a lot better than moves like holding on to guys like Clarkson in their prime and at top value when you're out of the playoffs cause you're under the delusion that you may just mayyyyyy get in and then mayyyyyyybe make it all the way, and refuse to talk contract during the season, just because. 

If you guys don't want to give them credit, thats fine. But just don't act like it was all luck and they didn't actually make good decisions too. They sure did. 

DViJQs0W0AYq2_T.thumb.jpeg.4dfaf6824883649522d1274216822a03.jpeg

Edited by SterioDesign

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

From all that they got, Rob O’Gara and a 2018 third-round pick. Yegor Rykov and a 2018 second-round pick. Ryan Spooner, Matt Beleskey, Ryan Lindgren, a 2018 first-round pick, and 2019 seventh-round pick. Vladislav Namestnikov, Libor Hajek, Brett Howden, a 2018 first-round pick and a conditional 2019 second-round pick.

You’d have to include who all the picks turned into but looking at this list I don’t see any impact players that are currently part of their core. Maybe Lindgren?