GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes 7PM 1/29/22

Nicomo

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It has to be the system. If you look at that play. You actually see Graves trailing, looking back to see the upcoming players. So he had time to think. It's not one of those broken plays where you kind of have to make a split second decision, out of position kind of thing. So what he did there, was what he "wanted" to do.

My guess is that the system / logic is to send 2 guys on the puck carrier to pin him against the board to immobilize him. One gets the puck out while the other keep the player on the board, so the other has time for for a clean breakout. I guess that could work at times. But obviously if the players fail to execute, it creates a huge gap and hole in front of the net and its hard for a backchecking center to cover when an opposing player is skating up. 

Seeing more and more things like this. I can see why young players are struggling and probably overthinking everything.

So far in The Three Stooges era:  Ruff and Co come up with a system that leads to short-term success early, then the rest of the league catches on, then it largely gets VERY ugly for most of the rest of the season.  And apparently these dopes aren’t remotely capable of making adjustments or coming up with a system that isn’t so easily exploited.  I know given where the Devils sit in the standings (and the goalie situation) that changing coaches won’t vault this team into a playoff berth, but goddamn it’s so hard watching a staff that is SO bad at what they’re doing getting the rest of season to show their “stuff”.

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Annual post alert:

Another year hoping the young guys put up points and we see improvements in individuals games. 

Countdown to the deadline again 

Trust the process.

At least the deadline is one out of two times a year that Fitz registers a pulse. 

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Trust the process.

At least the deadline is one out of two times a year that Fitz registers a pulse. 

That's what's annoying. The moves he makes are normally good. He just isn't quick to make them. 

11 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

That's what's annoying. The moves he makes are normally good. He just isn't quick to make them. 

Yeah, it’s been talked about many times, but lately, it seems like there’s a Plan A (which could see the Devils contend for a WC berth), and when Plan A falls apart, there’s no attempt to shake things up in-season, even just a little…until the deadline.  It’s insta-pivoting to “Oh well, maybe next year, everybody be patient and trust the process.”

Guess I’d like to see if Fitz is capable of more than offseason moves and deadline selling.

• Like 1

I just looked it up and the NHL trade deadline this season is March 21st.  I guess we will have to wait another 7 weeks to see some sort of life from Ruff before he goes back into hibernation until the draft.

I wanted to blame Gillies for last night's loss as the goals against were brutal, but he is who he is and considering that and the opponent he did alright.

The three shots in the third period is unforgivable.  I guess that's what happens when you have Zacha, Tatar, Kuokkanen, Sharangovich and Vesey as passengers most nights.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I wanted to blame Gillies for last night's loss as the goals against were brutal, but he is who he is and considering that and the opponent he did alright.

The goals given up were definitely saves he should have made, but then he locked it down for the rest of the game. 

Not to excuse the bad goals (which were not 100% on him in my opinion, the defense gave their usual contribution), but when you cannot score, you cannot beat a team that now has 30 wins on the season.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I just looked it up and the NHL trade deadline this season is March 21st.  I guess we will have to wait another 7 weeks to see some sort of life from Ruff before he goes back into hibernation until the draft.

The three shots in the third period is unforgivable.  I guess that's what happens when you have Zacha, Tatar, Kuokkanen, Sharangovich and Vesey as passengers most nights.

I agree he finished the game well and we aren’t winning any games only scoring one goal. With that being said, when’s the last time we’ve played a game where our goalie hasn’t given up at least one (often multiple) absolutely horrible goal? That has to be deflating for the team. They clearly don’t trust their goalies back there.

That obviously doesn’t excuse 3 shots in the 3rd, I’m just saying a game without giving up an absolute stinker would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

Vesey has been fine, considering what he was brought aboard to do.  He’s never been much of an offensive threat.

But yeah, lots of guys who tease more than they’re ever going to be.  Tatar has notched a point or more in just 3 out of his last 18 GP…at least he’s just a two-year stopgap signing.  

Just now, Devs3cups said:

I agree he finished the game well and we aren’t winning any games only scoring one goal. With that being said, when’s the last time we’ve played a game where our goalie hasn’t given up at least one absolutely horrible goal? That has to be deflating for the team. They clearly don’t trust their goalies back there.

That obviously doesn’t excuse 3 shots in the 3rd, I’m just saying a game without giving up an absolute stinker would be greatly appreciated.

Losing team doing losing things.  Quite often it feels like a team effort, save for a few players (especially Hughes and Bratt most nights).

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Losing team doing losing things.  Quite often it feels like a team effort, save for a few players (especially Hughes and Bratt most nights).

Honestly, the only 5 players I can count on for offensive efforts are Bratt and Hughes. When they don’t get on the scoresheet, we’re screwed. Nico is part of the conversation, but he has crap on his wings. Dude fed Zacha like crazy last night and had a good game, but of course Zacha isn’t doing sh!t out there.

Yeah right now I feel for Nico…he simply isn’t the kind of player that can stubbornly make iffy offensive linemates productive.  Fitz has to find a way to get that guy some legit help. Especially if Zacha’s headed back into meh territory.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It has to be the system. If you look at that play. You actually see Graves trailing, looking back to see the upcoming players. So he had time to think. It's not one of those broken plays where you kind of have to make a split second decision, out of position kind of thing. So what he did there, was what he "wanted" to do.

My guess is that the system / logic is to send 2 guys on the puck carrier to pin him against the board to immobilize him. One gets the puck out while the other keep the player on the board, so the other has time for for a clean breakout. I guess that could work at times. But obviously if the players fail to execute, it creates a huge gap and hole in front of the net and its hard for a backchecking center to cover when an opposing player is skating up. 

Seeing more and more things like this. I can see why young players are struggling and probably overthinking everything.

I believe we played like this under Hynes, too. Could be a Nas thing. Regardless, any coaching system that calls for this running out of position crap needs to go.

• Like 2

I know nobody likes Zacha at C, but he isn't producing much at LW lately, and we really need to get Nico's line going.

How about trying: 

Sharangovich-Hughes-Bratt

Johnsson-Hischier-Mercer

Tatar-Zacha-Bastian

Vesey-Boqvist-Kuokkanen

Mercer was drafted as a C/RW, and haven't seen much of what he can do in a winger's role.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nessus said:

I know nobody likes Zacha at C, but he isn't producing much at LW lately, and we really need to get Nico's line going.

How about trying: 

Sharangovich-Hughes-Bratt

Johnsson-Hischier-Mercer

Tatar-Zacha-Bastian

Vesey-Boqvist-Kuokkanen

Mercer was drafted as a C/RW, and haven't seen much of what he can do in a winger's role.

It’s an idea. 

Unfortunately any way you slice it, our lines look awful whenever we write them out. The bottom 6 is just gross. 

2 hours ago, devlman said:

I believe we played like this under Hynes, too. Could be a Nas thing. Regardless, any coaching system that calls for this running out of position crap needs to go.

I feel like it’s a Ruff thing. The Rags fans absolutely despised him when he was running their defense. 

2 hours ago, devlman said:

I believe we've got some decent players on the defensive side, but Nas makes them look like amateurs. He needs to go. No more freakin' excuses, that idiot has to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s an idea. 

Unfortunately any way you slice it, our lines look awful whenever we write them out. The bottom 6 is just gross. 

add in Sharangovich has 2 goals in January and Mercer has none and the first two lines have had holes in them as well. Tough way to complete along with a trash heap (for the most part) bottom six 

On 1/30/2022 at 8:50 AM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Annual post alert:

Another year hoping the young guys put up points and we see improvements in individuals games. 

Countdown to the deadline again 

Picked this up on the same day I posted the above. The way things are going I don't have much hope for next year. 

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well there's TWO generational talent in the draft next year at least lol

Come on lottery wins!! 

Knowing our luck we will win this year and Shane Wright will be in the ECHL by 2025. Whilst the player taken four sports after will be winning the Hart/Norris.

55 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Come on lottery wins!! 

Knowing our luck we will win this year and Shane Wright will be in the ECHL by 2025. Whilst the player taken four sports after will be winning the Hart/Norris.

I would honestly trade our first round pick of this year for a young more establish guy. Even Shane Wright is not much of a big deal this year. Sure we could land a Makar or Barzal, god knows. Always easier to say in hindsight. But at the point we're at, i'd try to build with known or slightly established players rather than having to wait a few years for them to maybe make an impact. Our young guys and Hamilton wont stay young forever.

If we're in lottery position next year though. Landing Bedard or Mitchkov is a completely different story

Maybe not the thread to discuss this, but would anyone here consider trading the Devils 1st this year (lotto-protected) for a blue-chip goalie prospect?

I'm talking Wallstedt, Askarov, Knight,  Like an elite prospect. 

I'm 50-50 on it.  On one hand, you probably could find better value for a top-10 pick but.. goaltending is such a glaring problem right now.  Nothing is guaranteed but I don't see how the Devils fix this glaring problem in net.  Don't appear to be many top goalie prospects in the draft this year, and you figure anyone you draft is probably at least 3-4 years out which doesn't line up with Hughes/Nico.

Other option would be to acquire a veteran guy (trade/FA) but we've gone that route the past few years and it's obviously failed miserably. 

Edited by Devilsfan118