• Draft Slafkovsky
    • Draft Nemec
    • Draft Jiricek
    • Trade down
    • Trade for immediate help
    • Draft Cooley
    • Other

27 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

There is no way you trade this pick for any goalie that is likely going to be available. That would be the worst outcome. 

It's the "likely to be available" part that is the hangup. We'll never get the goalie I want via a trade unless its this pick plus more, plus a team being stupid enough to trade away their future #1 goalie.

Its what I would want with that pick. It will never happen.  

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

If you vote "trade for immediate help", you should include a "who". 

Like, is the immediate help Kevin Fiala? Hard fvcking pass. Slafkovsky is being compared to Rantannen, do you trade a cost controlled guy like that for $9m+/y Kevin Fiala? Hell no. 

But is the immediate help Spencer Knight? I'm going to keep speaking this into existence. Going into next season, the Panthers have 3.9m in cap space. They need to re-sign entirely a full bottom-6, a full 3rd pairing defenseman, and are only one year away from the "year of reckoning" -- where they will owe new contracts to Knight, Weegar, Lundell, and -- oh yeah -- some guy named Jonathan Huberdeau. They flat out cannot afford to pay Spencer Knight the 5+ he will be asking for (thanks, Rangers) AND continue to pay Bobrovski $10m AND re-sign their home-grown superstar winger who has now averaged 95 points per 82 games played FOUR seasons in a row.

I'm happy with 2nd overall for Spencer Knight. I'm happy with Slaf. I'm sure there are other players that I'd consider trading 2OA for, but it sure as fvck isn't Kevin Fiala. 

This is exactly what I meant. 

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

People are wildly underestimating how fvcked Florida is. Nobody is touching Bob's contract and they genuinely can not afford to pay their goalies a combined $16m+ per year to have them split time if they want to compete.

I am very, very high on Spencer Knight's future. Take one of those gross things that you say about your boner when you like a guy and multiply that by like 5 if we can pull that sh!t off. 

56 minutes ago, Guadana said:

Btw Shoot first are Wright, Gauthier, Kemmel and may be Nazar from top-10. Lekkerimiaki is a good shooter too.  Slafkovsky is more playmaking player. With absolutely different kind of playmaking style than Bratt or Jack. His hand will help him to score more, his vision and body work will help me too. And our centers ofcourse. I believe he can score a lot with good partners. But we can`t draft him because "he is scorer and we need scorer". He isn`t classic shooter.  If you want physical scorer - draft Gauthier. You can easily trade down for him. 

Ah ok. I was just going off the clips I’ve seen. His shot looks pretty damn good to me. But you’ve obviously watched a lot more of him than I have. 

18 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Like, is the immediate help Kevin Fiala? Hard fvcking pass. Slafkovsky is being compared to Rantannen, do you trade a cost controlled guy like that for $9m+/y Kevin Fiala? Hell no. 

But is the immediate help Spencer Knight? I'm going to keep speaking this into existence. Going into next season, the Panthers have 3.9m in cap space. They need to re-sign entirely a full bottom-6, a full 3rd pairing defenseman, and are only one year away from the "year of reckoning" -- where they will owe new contracts to Knight, Weegar, Lundell, and -- oh yeah -- some guy named Jonathan Huberdeau. They flat out cannot afford to pay Spencer Knight the 5+ he will be asking for (thanks, Rangers) AND continue to pay Bobrovski $10m AND re-sign their home-grown superstar winger who has now averaged 95 points per 82 games played FOUR seasons in a row.

I'm happy with 2nd overall for Spencer Knight. I'm happy with Slaf. I'm sure there are other players that I'd consider trading 2OA for, but it sure as fvck isn't Kevin Fiala. 

Florida's window to compete is now.   Do you think there's any chance they take Holtz + instead of our 2nd overall?  A former 7th overall who is two years older than anything they'll get in this draft and still has the full 3 years of cost control should be as good as anything other teams are offering, especially if you send them an extra pic or take a cap dump along with Holtz.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's the "likely to be available" part that is the hangup. We'll never get the goalie I want via a trade unless its this pick plus more, plus a team being stupid enough to trade away their future #1 goalie.

Its what I would want with that pick. It will never happen.  

Oh yeah well if it's for things that stand no chance of happening I am sending it to Edmonton for McDavid and Draisaitl. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

can we please avoid private part shaming here? I get enough of that at home. 

You know I would never. ;) 

31 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Oh yeah well if it's for things that stand no chance of happening I am sending it to Edmonton for McDavid and Draisaitl. 

There is a substantially larger chance of a goalie being available in trade than those two guys. 

55 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I think trading the Devils' 2022 first for Fiala was much more of a thing if the pick was 5th or 6th OA.  Now that it's a 2nd OA, doubt anyone's still clamoring for that particular move. 

I'd deal the 2OA for Knight in a second, no questions asked.  Florida won't.  They'll try find some other way out before they'd deal him...and by the time Knight's due a raise, Bob will only have three years left on his deal...the situation won't be ideal, and they'll have to say a painful goodbye to someone I'm sure, but Knight's a guy who can be their goalie for YEARS after Bob is long gone.  I don't really believe that the Panthers drafted Knight to flip him...especially this early in his career, when he still has one year left at entry-level dollars.  Sucks because I'd would LOVE to see the Devils get him, and I'd be plenty fine with them paying up in assets to do it...as in, this year's 2022 first and second, the Devils' 2024 first, Blackwood, and something else.  The Panthers have only one pick in the first and second rounds in the next three seasons (their 2023 second), so at least if they were ever willing to listen even a little bit (they're not), they'd at least be getting a near-top pick right off the bat, and a couple of other picks to restock for upcoming drafts.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

So is cap hell still a myth or? 

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think trading the Devils' 2022 first for Fiala was much more of a thing if the pick was 5th or 6th OA.  Now that it's a 2nd OA, doubt anyone's still clamoring for that particular move. 

I'd deal the 2OA for Knight in a second, no questions asked.  Florida won't.  They'll try find some other way out before they'd deal him...and by the time Knight's due a raise, Bob will only have three years left on his deal...the situation won't be ideal, and they'll have to say a painful goodbye to someone I'm sure, but Knight's a guy who can be their goalie for YEARS after Bob is long gone.  I don't really believe that the Panthers drafted Knight to flip him...especially this early in his career, when he still has one year left at entry-level dollars.  Sucks because I'd would LOVE to see the Devils get him, and I'd be plenty fine with them paying up in assets to do it...as in, this year's 2022 first and second, the Devils' 2024 first, Blackwood, and something else.  The Panthers have only one pick in the first and second rounds in the next three seasons (their 2023 second), so at least if they were ever willing to listen even a little bit (they're not), they'd at least be getting a near-top pick right off the bat, and a couple of other picks to restock for upcoming drafts.   

I don't disagree with your overall point but 3 years of paying two goalies 15 million is an eternity in the NHL 

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I don't disagree with your overall point but 3 years of paying two goalies 15 million is an eternity in the NHL 

I would love it if MB3 turns out to be right, and the Panthers are truly THAT screwed that eventually they're stuck trading a guy that they REALLY don't want to deal...that makes no sense at all for them to deal.  At least they should get a nice return should they have no other choice.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would love it if MB3 turns out to be right, and the Panthers are truly THAT screwed that eventually they're stuck trading a guy that they REALLY don't want to deal...that makes no sense at all for them to deal.  At least they should get a nice return should they have no other choice.

As long as we're the ones getting him, I agree. 

Florida Panthers Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Which player are you willing to take back in a dump?

Man I wish that Knight didn't have one year left on his ELC...the Panthers can push this off another year before they really have to decide what they're going to do, and I have no interest in giving them a 2023 first-rounder at this point.  If worrying about their cap situation after 2023 gives them another shot at a legit Cup run, they'll probably take their chances.

Of course, assuming Fitz would be willing to make a huge offer, not sure a 2nd overall + multiple other pieces would be on the table again.

Here's my offer to the Panthers to deal Knight to the Devils this offseason:

2022 First (2OA)

2022 Second (37OA)

2024 First (TBD)

Blackwood 

Daws

I figure I gotta give them a couple of goalies...safe to say that neither of them appears to have Knight's upside, and of course they don't...if they did, it would make a lot more sense for the Devils to just roll with them.  It's a lot to give up for someone who's current worth is based on potential (and the above might not get it done), but gotta compensate the Panthers heavily here.  Based on the draft projections for 2023, I can't give them that first-rounder.  

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

People are wildly underestimating how fvcked Florida is. Nobody is touching Bob's contract and they genuinely can not afford to pay their goalies a combined $16m+ per year to have them split time if they want to compete.

Stop making so much sense and getting my hopes up!

Trading the 2nd overall pick for a goalie would legitimately be the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done. This is a goalie that was drafted 13th a couple years ago. He's not even good with a loaded Panthers team in front of him. 2.79 GAA with a .908 save% 

I do feel like it depends on what happens with Blackwood. If they trade him then we need a new starter. If they keep him then they really just need a 3rd goalie who can act as injury insurance.

Blackwood and Bernier were pretty good before injuries. 

Edited by Jerzey

i am NOT up on this years draft class. if there is a really good goaltending prospect (a Brodeur type and not a Trevor Kidd), trade down and draft him even if it's earlier than the EXPERTS expect😎

(I know we'll be screaming here if that happens.)

Sigh I miss having 20 years of Hall of Fame Goaltending😔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

I think, even in a weak draft, you guys are underestimating the value of the 2nd overall pick. 

Spencer Knight is valuable, but is there another team in hockey that:

1. Has as strong a need for a goaltender as the Devils?
  2. Can compensate Florida as well as NJ while being able to take on a salary dump to sweeten the pot?
  3. Is in position to pay Spencer Knight the hefty, 5.5-6.0 second contract Knight will ask for?

I don't think there are as many teams who would be in on this as you'd think. Maybe Florida is stupid enough to hang onto both and pay both at the expense of some of their home grown superstars. If they are, they'll never make it out of the 2nd round. 

They have a whole other year to figure that out though. Not sure why they'd rush into this to the point where they'd make a desperate move this summer. If anything they'd likely want to see another year of him to see how he's developing 

I can`t say it can happened now, but if 22 yo Knight will spend 40 games and will stop 91%+ of shots and Holtz will score 23+ goals, I can see how it can happened, if Bob will be a good goalie still. Or they can just trade him with retain to the other team with picks. 

I just can`t believe they will trade Knight now. Ofcourse I would do trade Holtz for Knight. 2nd for Knight? Now? I must think about that.

38 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

They have a whole other year to figure that out though. Not sure why they'd rush into this to the point where they'd make a desperate move this summer. If anything they'd likely want to see another year of him to see how he's developing 

Not to mention assuming he is as good as he seems, another season under his belt probably raises his value even if they decided, for some stupid reason, he isn’t part of their future. 

1 hour ago, NJD16W said:

Trading the 2nd overall pick for a goalie would legitimately be the dumbest thing this franchise has ever done. This is a goalie that was drafted 13th a couple years ago. He's not even good with a loaded Panthers team in front of him. 2.79 GAA with a .908 save% 

I agree with this. I think he’s a good goalie but not worth the 2nd overall pick.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not to mention assuming he is as good as he seems, another season under his belt probably raises his value even if they decided, for some stupid reason, he isn’t part of their future. 

yeah i really don't see them making a desperate move this summer unless they get an absolutely ridiculous offer that they simply cannot refuse.

And im really but really to make that kind of offer for a goalie. They are wayyyyyyyy too inconsistent and unpredictable to gamble this much. We could literally throw 2 first round picks, holtz and Bratt, get a goalie that'd sh!t the bed the next season while another team grab a goalie for a 4th round pick and he's a vezina nominee that year. It's truly that fvcking random for goalies, and too often even if they are great, they suddenly fall off a cliff suddenly

We traded a 9th overall for a goalie. And he fell off a cliff 3 years later. We should know better than this. I don't care how good Schneider was those 2-3 first seasons, we'd all wish we had Bo Harvat instead right now

Edited by SterioDesign

or we could sit back and continue to play musical chairs just because Schneider didn't work out.  We haven't had a goalie since Marty great years (not even the years on the back end) so eventually the musical chairs plan will hit based on the law of averages? 

1 hour ago, NJD16W said:

So you think he’s already reached his potential?  That he won’t get better?