Devils to hire Bill Spaulding as PxP guy

mikemarc1

Was kind of hoping for a lower voice (yeah, I like Gary Thorne; that NBC guy with Rangers roots who was rumored sounded good to me, too), but I'm OK with this. Definitely a step up over Cangi. Maybe a little irritating when he REALLY raises his voice during some of those calls but overall sounds solid.

12 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I always liked Gary Thorne the most.

I know he's not well-liked due to 2001, but I have so many pleasant memories of him from his days as the Devils PbP guy in the late 80s-early 90s.  I always thought he had a great voice myself.  Enjoyed his Mets work too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know he's not well-liked due to 2001, but I have so many pleasant memories of him from his days as the Devils PbP guy in the late 80s-early 90s.  I always thought he had a great voice myself.  Enjoyed his Mets work too.  

I was very disappointed when he left. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta admit I can’t recall what happened in 2001. Did he call the finals and kind of root for the Avs or something like that?

30 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Gotta admit I can’t recall what happened in 2001. Did he call the finals and kind of root for the Avs or something like that?

He was not-so-secretly rooting for Bourque, but not like he was alone.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He was not-so-secretly rooting for Bourque, but not like he was alone.  

Yeah from what I remember about that series we were the bad guys and everyone wanted Bourque to win a cup. I haven’t seen media so openly rooting for a team to win in any sport since then. Guess I don’t remember Thorne’s commentary from the games though.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerzey said:

He called the 2001 and 2003 finals like he was more interested in the Avs/Ducks winning. Screw him.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm kind of surprised so many people care about this. I couldn't give a rats ass who he roots for, he's just there to call the playoffs.

I don’t care and didn’t notice that at all. I usually just pay more attention to the game than the guy calling it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, andy said:

That's obviously not a great call because he thought the goal wasn't going to count but it shouldn't bother Devils fans.

Yeah that one doesn't bother me.  I never took it as "Oh he's trying to ruin the moment for Devils fans."  

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I love everything about Gary Thorne. He's the voice of the glory days to me, even more than Doc is. 

Not sure I would call 1987-1993 the "glory days", but he was definitely the guy calling games when I was just starting out as a young fan and I was very upset when he was replaced. 

But he was replaced by one of the best guys to ever do the job.