GDT: 10/28/2022 Avalanche @ Devils Please No Washington Part Deux Kind of Game

Colorado Rockies 1976

If you asked me “will the devils win a single 1-0 game this year” I would’ve laughed and said no. Just so many positives here. 

The negatives are brief so I’ll list them first: 

• Miles Wood is just really not a good hockey player, and he needs to be on the 4th line gooning it up or he’s really useless. Since his injuries he plays a timid game and if that doesn’t change soon, I hope the Devils move on. 
  • I’ve beaten the Tatar horse to death enough but he brings nothing to this team. Invisible offensively, noticeably bad defensively, and one of the most brain dead penalties i’ve seen in a long time. Make the bad man go away.
  • Severson is again making it so hard to get behind him. A home grown puck moving RH defenseman who’s made it public numerous times that he wants to stay a Devil, but I really don’t think he’s in their future plans. Shame, because I really do like the player in spite of his mistakes. 
  • We are thin as hell at forward, as the Palat injury shows. One injury to one of our big guys and we’re seeing Bastian on the PP, Tatar on the first line and Wood/McLeod seeing more of the ice than they should.

Now the positives:

• Hats off to Fitzgerald for the Marino addition. Are you kidding me with this guy? He is something special to watch. Insanely active stick, smart as hell, fast on his feet. I would love to plant him on Hughes’ line next year, I think he can be the Devon Toews  to Luke’s Makar. 
  • Siegenthaler is rock fvcking solid. I really love our defense when Luke and Nemec are up.
  • Jack and Jesper are the best players on the ice when they’re out there. Both players can fly, both players are insanely creative. I hope they’re glued together for a while. 
  • Nico is developing into the exact type of checking 2nd line center you dream of. we all wish his offense was a little more there, but he made Nate Dog’s life miserable tonight. Credit Zetterlund for not looking out of place.
  • V2 with a stellar, rock solid game. 
  • 5-1 after the bad start. Keep it up fellas! 
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Awesome win. I was so exhausted from the week that I passed out in the second period and missed the rest of it. But I didn’t have shutting out the defending champs on my bingo card. Absolutely fantastic. 

It was a great game to be at.  What was really awesome about it was that it wasn’t like the Devils got wildly outshot and outchanced and were lucky to win…they played as well as a team as could possibly have been expected.  Really made things difficult for the Avs for most of the game….as strong of a performance as I’ve seen the Devils play in recent years.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jagknife said:

@MB3 I hear your point in being thin without secondary scoring getting going yet. But without Bastian on the PP, the screen doesn’t happen to get us Jack’s goal. 

Feel for Nico.  He looks like he’s ready to see his offensive numbers go up, but for now he’s stuck with Tatar and Zetterlund.  And that’s not to knock Zetterlund, but he’s not a Top 6 forward.  Tatar is just useless.

We’ll see what the situation is long-term with Palat, but the Devils could explore moving Seves for a forward who brings some offense.  As Seves has warts, I’m sure whoever they’d get back would have some too.  I know some would like to see Holtz just get thrown into the lineup, but I don’t equate Tatar sucking to “Well just play Holtz regardless.”  His time to get a look will come.  But Tatard…that guy…he’s just gotta go…he looks the the kind of guy who won’t get another deal once this once expires.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Well it’s pretty clear NJDevs has found it’s new whipping boy lol. I’m just glad it’s a stopgap journeyman that will be gone soon, and not one of our 1st round picks, or the starting goalie. I can handle Tomas Tatar being the most frustrating thing about my hockey team. 

• Like 3

Just now, Nicomo said:

Well it’s pretty clear NJDevs has found it’s new whipping boy lol. I’m just glad it’s a stopgap journeyman that will be gone soon, and not one of our 1st round picks, or the starting goalie. I can handle Tomas Tatar being the most frustrating thing about my hockey team. 

To be fair I think a lot of fans wanted Tatar gone after last season.  He’s been mostly not good since late in his his last season in Montreal.  And yeah at least the guys who seem guaranteed to infuriate (like Tatar and Seves) are on their way out…and at least Seves (if traded) can potentially bring back a useful piece.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be fair I think a lot of fans wanted Tatar gone after last season.  He’s been mostly not good since late in his his last season in Montreal.  And yeah at least the guys who seem guaranteed to infuriate (like Tatar and Seves) are on their way out…and at least Seves (if traded) can potentially bring back a useful piece.  

It did help they finally admitted defeat with Johnsson. It was a low risk, mid-reward potential and just flopped.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

It did help they finally admitted defeat with Johnsson. It was a low risk, mid-reward potential and just flopped.

Yeah for sure.  

As this team transitions to playoff contender, there will still be purging to be done.  As Nicomo alluded to, at least it’s players whose days are numbered anyway, as opposed to guys who are vastly overpaid and locked up long term.  All the players who ARE locked up are the one we want to see locked up.  

• Like 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah for sure.  

As this team transitions to playoff contender, there will still be purging to be done.  As Nicomo alluded to, at least it’s players whose days are numbered anyway, as opposed to guys who are vastly overpaid and locked up long term.  All the players who ARE locked up are the one we want to see locked up.  

That seigenthaler contract could be an incredible steal...

...which is perfect cause we're gonna get bent over by Bratt's agent

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

That seigenthaler contract could be an incredible steal...

...which is perfect cause we're gonna get bent over by Bratt's agent

Yeah been over it but it’s going to be imperative that the next batch of kids (L Hughes, Nemec, and Holtz) develop s and produces…the Devils may keep one or two of their impending UFAs…most will be gone.  And of course if that means Bratt is the next young cog to be locked up, no one’s complaining one bit.  

• Like 2

Just remembered something else I wanted to post regarding last night's game:

The crowd. You guys looked awesome and sounded even better. It was freaking awesome to FINALLY hear a sustained Let's Go Devils chant on TV and it be the loudest thing someone yelled there that didn't involve the Rangers.

Winning for sure helps, but that was even before they took the lead. Well done!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Just remembered something else I wanted to post regarding last night's game:

The crowd. You guys looked awesome and sounded even better. It was freaking awesome to FINALLY hear a sustained Let's Go Devils chant on TV and it be the loudest thing someone yelled there that didn't involve the Rangers.

Winning for sure helps, but that was even before they took the lead. Well done!

Seriously I was watching at home and the crowd noise for the last 10 seconds of the game sounded like a playoff game lmao

• Like 3

18 hours ago, devlman said:

You can’t bench Holtz for multiple games and then throw him back in with limited minutes and not expect him to have a little rust.

The one time he was played regularly during a game he scored a goal. Let the kid play and make a mistake or two. Tatar and McLeod are allowed to sh!t all over the ice. 

All true.  Maybe Ruff is feeling the heat and doesn’t want to take any chances.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Seriously I was watching at home and the crowd noise for the last 10 seconds of the game sounded like a playoff game lmao

It’s funny…there’s a part of you that’s optimistic as hell as a game like that is unfolding…that the Devils will somehow find a way to get it done.  But there’s the other part that respects the hell out a team like the Avs and figures that it’s only a matter of time before a guy like Makar breaks his goal-scoring drought, or that the Avs will find some way to eke out a 2-1 OT win.  Once we tasted that the Devils were indeed going to finish this off…just nothing but pure primal bliss.  Great great fun.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I personally don’t get it, he’s not really helping but he’s also not hurting us. I’m more worried about Brendan Smith. 

That said, if we get defense like we got last night throughout the season, I’ll be pretty happy. I think Marino played a crazy game, and as a result, it’s being overlooked how good Siegenthaler was as well. 

Tatar is essentially roster filler. I would like to see someone else take his place, but he’s not killing us. 

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i had an halloween party and miss the game. What's up? 

was just messing with you. tatar played horrible all game and then took a brain dead cross checking penalty with a minute to go to give the best team in the league a full minute of 6-on-4