The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

7 hours ago, Lateralous said:

LeBrun mentioned that the Devils are getting “a ton of calls on pending RFA Yegor Sharangovich” in his latest article on the Athletic.  It doesn’t completely shock me given that YS is 25 and a year removed from a 24 goal season.   Hopefully the FitzWizard can muster a 2nd round pick for his RFA rights.   

https://theathletic.com/4616800/2023/06/16/karlsson-meier-barbashev-hellebuyck-nhl-lebrun/?access_token=13260924&redirected=1

Fitz may get a 4th at best, but I’m guessing it will be a 5th or 6th.  Keep in mind that Sharangovich was a healthy scratch at times last season, and overall saw his playing time cut by two minutes per game…he managed just 5 goals over his final 52 regular season games.  Teams doing their homework will find this out quickly.

I’m sure there’s teams with little to lose willing to take a chance on him, but those teams know that he no longer fits in with the Devils, and aren’t going to go too crazy trying to outbid each other for a guy who may have already turned in his career year.  

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fitz may get a 4th at best, but I’m guessing it will be a 5th or 6th.  Keep in mind that Sharangovich was a healthy scratch at times last season, and overall saw his playing time cut by two minutes per game…he managed just 5 goals over his final 52 regular season games.  Teams doing their homework will find this out quickly.

I’m sure there’s teams with little to lose willing to take a chance on him, but those teams know that he no longer fits in with the Devils, and aren’t going to go too crazy trying to outbid each other for a guy who may have already turned in his career year.  

You had already quoted me as I was in the process of editing my post to say “something crazy like a 2nd round pick.”  

Yeah, I agree that he’s not all that valuable and your range for the pick is more appropriate but also never underestimate how many terrible GMs there are in a 32 team league.   It only takes one to think that last year was the outlier and that he’s really a 25 year old 25ish goal scorer who just lost his spot in the top 6 last year.  I mean, Columbus just signed Severson to play top pair with Werenski.  “Teams doing their homework” should know that’s not going to work.   

Edited by Lateralous

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

You had already quoted me as I was in the process of editing my post to say “something crazy like a 2nd round pick.”  

Yeah, I agree that he’s not all that valuable and your range for the pick is more appropriate but also never underestimate how many terrible GMs there are in a 32 team league.   It only takes one to think that last year was the outlier and that he’s really a 25 year old 25ish goal scorer who just lost his spot in the top 6 last year.  I mean, Columbus just signed Severson to play top pair with Werenski.  “Teams doing their homework” should know that’s not going to work.   

Tell ya one thing…if Fitz even manages a third-round pick for him, I’ll feel like he did one hell of a job getting something for a player who’s time here is up anyway.

re:  Seves, yeah, I think Columbus is absolutely overrating him.  Said it after they got him but I get the impression that they think they’re getting a much better player than they really are.  I still can’t believe that they went 8 years for him.  Does support your “GMs do some dumb things” argument (though Seves is hardly the first incident of a GM doing something questionable).

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Way too much Sharongovich slander up in here. Dude is young, has a really good shot, can score 20+ goals, and is a very effective penalty killer. I think he has some value. 

He scored over 20 once.  Most of his prior production came in pure garbage time after the Devils had long stopped being a factor in any playoff races.  Last year was a very clear step back, and Sharangovich is not the kind of player who can afford too many steps back.

I agree that he should get at least one more look in the NHL though.  There’s just enough there to justify that…but I’m definitely not convinced that such a chance should come here.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Look I've had a few drinks and I saw that picture of Jack and zegras hanging out, and I looked up his contract to see zegras is an RFA. I'm not contract/ trade smart and I can never make any realistic scenarios on "how could we make this happen?" But I'd love to see you guys do it. How can we get zegras on this team this year or next year? It's off season anything goes right? 

Edit: my phone autocorrected the first zegras to zebras and while I wouldn't mind a picture of Jack hanging out with zebras. It's not the point I was trying to make. Nor can I speak for a zebras ability to play hockey. I'm sure most have never even seen an ice cube let alone a rink...the end. 

Edited by SeanMac16
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 9:59 AM, Nicomo said:

Way too much Sharongovich slander up in here. Dude is young, has a really good shot, can score 20+ goals, and is a very effective penalty killer. I think he has some value. 

My problem with Sharangovich is he doesn't ever seem to be around the puck. I feel like he needs to be perfectly set up in order for him to get a shot off. He doesn't create space or make plays, which I know isn't the *primary* role for a sniper, but for him he just doesn't look like he has that capability at all

I think he's a 3rd line player at best, probably 4th on deep teams. 

I'm not opposed to keeping him on a deal that makes sense,  it if our third line is something like Haula - Tatar - Holtz, I just don't know where he fits in. 

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

My problem with Sharangovich is he doesn't ever seem to be around the puck. I feel like he needs to be perfectly set up in order for him to get a shot off. He doesn't create space or make plays, which I know isn't the *primary* role for a sniper, but for him he just doesn't look like he has that capability at all

I think he's a 3rd line player at best, probably 4th on deep teams. 

I'm not opposed to keeping him on a deal that makes sense,  it if our third line is something like Haula - Tatar - Holtz, I just don't know where he fits in. 

Yeah he’s one of those guys who more or less NEEDS to score 30+ to justify being in an every game lineup.  He‘s not an ideal lower-line player and he doesn’t bring enough otherwise (though yes, he is a good PKer).

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah he’s one of those guys who more or less NEEDS to score 30+ to justify being in an every game lineup.  He‘s not an ideal lower-line player and he doesn’t bring enough otherwise (though yes, he is a good PKer).

Yeah, agreed.  I was thinking of our PKers...Nico, McLeod, Haula (if we keep him), and maybe Bratt.  Would be nice to have Sharangovich in that mix if one of those guys is hurt, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Spitballing here:  Two UFA's (on the "younger" side. Max Domi & JT Compher. Wonder if we'd benefit from signing either. Domi made 3 last year, & Compher 3.5. Both likely looking for term. I hope Fitz signs Meier soon so he knows his limitations $$ wise

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

This sounds great until you realize that the Avs don’t have a 2nd Round Draft pick this year.   I guess it would be for next year?   I’d still do it. 

If the New Jersey Devils decide to make Sharangovich available for trade, it is speculated that the Colorado Avalanche might be willing to part ways with a second-round draft pick to secure his services. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lateralous said:

This sounds great until you realize that the Avs don’t have a 2nd Round Draft pick this year.   I guess it would be for next year?   I’d still do it. 

If the New Jersey Devils decide to make Sharangovich available for trade, it is speculated that the Colorado Avalanche might be willing to part ways with a second-round draft pick to secure his services. 

Even if it was a 2025 2nd I’d make that move.  

• Like 3

need to sign haula. once mercer is available for a contract you throw the 8 yr at him. 

I get the feeling Fitz will re-sign Haula, once he takes care of Meier.

Not fully convinced that Fitz necessarily HAS to throw yet another 8-year deal out there (I do like Mercer but still not sure exactly what he is…guess it would depend on the AAV of any potential 8-year contract, but he feels more like a bridge candidate type to me).

58 minutes ago, vincois said:

I'm not ready to throw Yegor under the bus. The fact he had an "off" year does not make him a suckfest.  He's far more valuable now than a potential 3rd/4th round pick that's 3/4 years away,   Be careful what you wish for.

Here’s the facts, re:  Sharangovich:

Two seasons in a row, in what amounted to garbage time (teams not taking the Devils all that seriously, playing backup goalies against them, etc), that’s when Yegor shined.  On a team very clearly trying to turn a corner, a “maybe” guy like Sharangovich who got his chance strictly due to his team not yet having much depth has to build off any success that he has and show that he’s not a fluke.  Again, this guy was scratched for a while.

The real question is what the hell is he?  Right now he’s a poor man’s Top 6 but 5 goals in 52 games (this is how he wrapped up last season) isn’t going to cut it…obviously not all of that came in Top 6 duty, but he did get his share of looks there.  He scored 24 goals once…that buys him another chance to show he can potentially stick on a bad team’s Top 6.  If that happens, we’ll see what he does with it.

If asked (or if out of necessity), can he reinvent himself as a more physical Bottom 6 who’s a shorthanded threat who can score 15-20?  I think if he’s to have a future as an NHLer, it will be as THAT kind of player.  I don’t think he’s good enough at creating chances or putting up shot volume to be a Top 6 on a good team.

Also, remember that picks acquired in deals aren’t always kept.  The Devils will be making their share of deadline rental moves.  Having extra picks to work with is important.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, vincois said:

I'm not ready to throw Yegor under the bus. The fact he had an "off" year does not make him a suckfest.  He's far more valuable now than a potential 3rd/4th round pick that's 3/4 years away,   Be careful what you wish for.

It's not that any of us are under the illusion that a 3rd or 4th round pick is going to be better than Sharangovich.    It's more so that he doesn't really have a spot on this team anymore IMO, especially if Holtz has a half decent camp.   We just spent a bunch of futures on Meier and as a contender for the foreseeable future, we'll be spending a lot more in years to come.   As opposed to trying to fit a square peg into the round hole of the bottom 6, I think it makes the more sense to use Sharanovich in a trade for either a bottom 6 forward that plays a heavier game or move him for futures that can be reinvested later on. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Also, remember that picks acquired in deals aren’t always kept.  The Devils will be making their share of deadline rental moves.  Having extra picks to work with is important.

Exactly

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 12:19 AM, SeanMac16 said:

Look I've had a few drinks and I saw that picture of Jack and zegras hanging out, and I looked up his contract to see zegras is an RFA. I'm not contract/ trade smart and I can never make any realistic scenarios on "how could we make this happen?" But I'd love to see you guys do it. How can we get zegras on this team this year or next year? It's off season anything goes right? 

Edit: my phone autocorrected the first zegras to zebras and while I wouldn't mind a picture of Jack hanging out with zebras. It's not the point I was trying to make. Nor can I speak for a zebras ability to play hockey. I'm sure most have never even seen an ice cube let alone a rink...the end. 

I think the cost would be prohibitive - Zegras is rumored to have his issues but I don't think the Ducks will move on from him.  Too much starpower.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Here’s the facts, re:  Sharangovich:

Two seasons in a row, in what amounted to garbage time (teams not taking the Devils all that seriously, playing backup goalies against them, etc), that’s when Yegor shined.  On a team very clearly trying to turn a corner, a “maybe” guy like Sharangovich who got his chance strictly due to his team not yet having much depth has to build off any success that he has and show that he’s not a fluke.  Again, this guy was scratched for a while.

The real question is what the hell is he?  Right now he’s a poor man’s Top 6 but 5 goals in 52 games (this is how he wrapped up last season) isn’t going to cut it…obviously not all of that came in Top 6 duty, but he did get his share of looks there.  He scored 24 goals once…that buys him another chance to show he can potentially stick on a bad team’s Top 6.  If that happens, we’ll see what he does with it.

If asked (or if out of necessity), can he reinvent himself as a more physical Bottom 6 who’s a shorthanded threat who can score 15-20?  I think if he’s to have a future as an NHLer, it will be as THAT kind of player.  I don’t think he’s good enough at creating chances or putting up shot volume to be a Top 6 on a good team.  

Didn't we say the same about Zacha ? (thank god he's gone so we can't piss & moan about him) Didn't we have higher expectations from McCleod? Picked at #11. He's turned out to be a good 3rd/4th line center. #17 was picked what 4th rounD? Yes I wish he was more physical but,  then again I've always said that about Bratt.  Bratt doesn't play pk, he's not strong along the boards. I'm not saying #17 is very good, he has shortcomings but if you're going to trade him, get something back that helps you now.  I'm not sure what Boqvist ibrings to the table. I think he's trying to figure that out as well.