Jump to content

Prospects thread 2023-2024


Guadana

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Bummer.  He seems redundant given Dougie’s impending return and Luke’s and Nemec’s presences, but I don’t like to see Devils prospects injured for any reason.

Definitely feels like it’s probably going to be him and Holtz/Mercer that gets moved for a goalie this summer. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2024 at 12:30 AM, Nicomo said:

Definitely feels like it’s probably going to be him and Holtz/Mercer that gets moved for a goalie this summer. 

For sure.  If Fitz is going big fish hunting for a goalie, the conversation is going to start with Mercer and Casey...and then we'll see who else is involved.  Usually for an established star player still in his prime, you can expect to give up a young kid with upside + established NHLer + prospect.  I suggested Mercer/Marino/Casey a while back, if Saros is the return...I hate giving up Marino (I think he's a good D having a down year, even with the uptick in offense), and that means the Devils will have to find someone else to replace him, but I can see Brunette wanting him, due to familiarity.  And I'd rather see the Devils give up a little more to aim higher, than to cheap out in assets and then wind up with Binnington or Markstrom or Gibson or someone like that...but I try to do everything I can not to give up that 2024 first round pick.  I'd like to see if that I can flip that + Holtz for a scorer (not sure who yet).  

Casey obviously has talent, but at the same time, he checks damned near ALL of the wrong boxes for what the Devils need right now.  And with Luke and Nemec already here, he's expendable, especially since he'll be moved for an immediate need.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Graeme Clarke has a goal and assist for Utica today (yes, they're playing this morning LOL) .. he's up to 47 points in 62 games after potting 58 points in 68 games last season. What is it going to take to give him a look? The current iteration of our 4th line is awful - you can't convince me guys like MacDermid, Willman, Tierney, etc. should be playing over Clarke.

Even Brian Halonen deserves a chance... what's wrong with playing he and Clarke, centered by Lazar, on the 4th line right now? 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Graeme Clarke has a goal and assist for Utica today (yes, they're playing this morning LOL) .. he's up to 47 points in 62 games after potting 58 points in 68 games last season. What is it going to take to give him a look? The current iteration of our 4th line is awful - you can't convince me guys like MacDermid, Willman, Tierney, etc. should be playing over Clarke.

Even Brian Halonen deserves a chance... what's wrong with playing he and Clarke, centered by Lazar, on the 4th line right now? 

I know Nolan Foote missing so much time was a major issue (and he apparently came back and is now hurt AGAIN...just four AHL games played this year), but yeah, like I've asked before, are Clarke and Foote ever going to be a part of this thing (or get the chance to be)?  And yeah can they be much less of a factor than Tierney-types?  Guess we find out next season.  Both will be 23 years old...Nolan turns 24 in November.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Graeme Clarke has a goal and assist for Utica today (yes, they're playing this morning LOL) .. he's up to 47 points in 62 games after potting 58 points in 68 games last season. What is it going to take to give him a look? The current iteration of our 4th line is awful - you can't convince me guys like MacDermid, Willman, Tierney, etc. should be playing over Clarke.

Even Brian Halonen deserves a chance... what's wrong with playing he and Clarke, centered by Lazar, on the 4th line right now? 

I agree. We'll probably see a couple guys come up to see what they can do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nmigliore said:

 

Doubled his points total from last season. 6ft 1 , 195lbs so he has got the frame.

Maybe a similar sort of project to Halonen?

Maybe he makes the bottom 6 one day, worth a shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2024 at 11:07 PM, Nicomo said:

Speaking of Oettinger, he’s currently sitting at .899 sv% (so is Wedgewood) and yet the Stars are still in 1st place. 

Pretty impressive they’ve been able to overcome below average goaltending this season. 

This is exactly what the analytic department is saying to Fitzy when regarding trading assets for a goalie, especially one that will eat up a chunk of cap room. I am not in disagreement necessarily with it either.  However, the goalies we had though just deflated this team. Not all goals are are equal and it seemed that there were a lot more savable goals from our tendy's. Although, let's be honest the team D stinks and is a major factor as well.  Not sure, as this roster is constructed, that the "big fish" goaltenders out there will be enough to right the ship, as this team has gaping holes throughout the lineup. Personally, I would rather have a Jake Allen with an upgraded D and keep Holtz and Mercer.

Let's find a way to deal with Palat, say IR or dump in San Jose/ANH for picks.  

D-men that you would need to get more creative with regarding cap space would be Pesci/Hanafin. That creativity could be in moving Hamilton. Tougher to do coming off this season, but maybe Dougie had his fill of area museums and would like to move to another location. You aren't winning anything with him on the roster IMHO, especially when you plan to ice Hughes/Nemec and possibly Casey. If we could get 2 players for nearly his cap hit, that would help this team tremendously. If all else fails, maybe a trade for Erik Gubranson, I am sure he would like out of that mess in CBJ. Let's trade for Gudas, although I bet NJ is on that 16 no trade list.  You can send Siegenthaler back in that deal.

Keep Schmid and Daws in A and maybe sign Stoli the Goalie, although not sure what price tag that might come with.  The bottom 6 can be tinkered with, but the top 6 needs a shooter. If they could land Victor Olofsson that could be the shooter Jack needs. He has had a down season and a bunch of health bombs, so maybe that leads to discount shopping with him. Maybe Tatar on league minimum for 2 years is better than a Tierney on the 4th line, as long as he has buy in to his role of bottom 6.  Another guy i would look at is Nick Foligno. Maybe bring Colin Miller back.

I know a lot of spit ballin' in this post and admittedly I have not looked that closely at our cap situation moving forward. I think we do gain some cap space with the total going up a bit and Schneider's hit finally being gone.  With all that said, this team really needs more than tinkering in my opinion and a mini overhaul is needed to make this a playoff threat. (Could this team ever beat Carolina?)  Fitzy needs to think outside the box and if the front office just wants a goalie and 1 top 6 forward and leave the rest as is, then this team will be right around where it finished this year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, hystyk28 said:

D-men that you would need to get more creative with regarding cap space would be Pesci/Hanafin

Well Hanifin isn’t happening anyway.

 

Edited by Nicomo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have no idea how the fvck Vegas does this. Does the fvcking cap apply to only the other 31 teams?

Vegas Golden Knights Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Will get interesting when Stone comes off LTIR next year.  GKs have five UFAs this offseason...they're probably going to lose Marchessault.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I’m at the Frozen Four this weekend and saw someone rocking a U of Minnesota Haula jersey last night.   I wanted to go do the @MadDog2020 Holla gif but refrained 

 

 

IMG_8445.jpeg

 

IMG_6331.gif

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Vegas Golden Knights Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Will get interesting when Stone comes off LTIR next year.  GKs have five UFAs this offseason...they're probably going to lose Marchessault.  

I’ve about had it with that franchise just adding whoever they want with seeming impunity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2024 at 10:35 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For sure.  If Fitz is going big fish hunting for a goalie, the conversation is going to start with Mercer and Casey...and then we'll see who else is involved.  Usually for an established star player still in his prime, you can expect to give up a young kid with upside + established NHLer + prospect.  I suggested Mercer/Marino/Casey a while back, if Saros is the return...I hate giving up Marino (I think he's a good D having a down year, even with the uptick in offense), and that means the Devils will have to find someone else to replace him, but I can see Brunette wanting him, due to familiarity.  And I'd rather see the Devils give up a little more to aim higher, than to cheap out in assets and then wind up with Binnington or Markstrom or Gibson or someone like that...but I try to do everything I can not to give up that 2024 first round pick.  I'd like to see if that I can flip that + Holtz for a scorer (not sure who yet).  

Casey obviously has talent, but at the same time, he checks damned near ALL of the wrong boxes for what the Devils need right now.  And with Luke and Nemec already here, he's expendable, especially since he'll be moved for an immediate need.

And more importantly on Casey, he's a petite D man. Maybe very good offensive upside, but petite in stature.  also has Ethen Edwards there as well. Another petite D man. Unless they have talent like Quinn, they're not very desirable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2024 at 12:09 PM, vincois said:

And more importantly on Casey, he's a petite D man. Maybe very good offensive upside, but petite in stature.  also has Ethen Edwards there as well. Another petite D man. Unless they have talent like Quinn, they're not very desirable

And that's why they should have him play center (he's done that before) or wing.  He skates like Jack.  Being that he's played mostly D, he has good D awareness.  Let's see what he can do at Utica first before trading him -which should be a last resort.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.