2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I wouldn't auction off the future for guys like Markstrom or Hallmark.   The Devils have to creat their fortune from within - either improve what we have or draft or sign a free agent.

All this talk about Holtz, Mercer, a First and Casey for either one of those two guys is absolute insanity. 

We're not talking about Vasilevsky or Bobrobsky in their hay day.  We're talking about Jakob Markstrom or Linus Ullmark ...guys gotta relax. 

A Hallmark card might do better than the current goaltenders.

On your latter note, I agree. I think our young guys that are getting named as possible pieces are really good and wouldn't want one to go for anyone other than maybe Saros. Definitely not Markstrom.

Edited by NJDevils1214

2 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

I wouldn't auction off the future for guys like Markstrom or Hallmark.   The Devils have to creat their fortune from within - either improve what we have or draft or sign a free agent.

All this talk about Holtz, Mercer, a First and Casey for either one of those two guys is absolute insanity. 

We're not talking about Vasilevsky or Bobrobsky in their hay day.  We're talking about Jakob Markstrom or Linus Ullmark ...guys gotta relax. 

There are no plausible FAs.

There are no plausible internal options.

Draft pick -- even if pans out -- doesn't fit the window.

Trade is unavoidable.

Only questions are for whom and at what cost.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

That's not going to happen.  This is more fan anger turning into pure hysteria.  Yeah, you're not getting those guys for a second-rounder and a couple of middling prospects and you WILL have to give up a couple of pieces of note, but you're also not setting fire to the oil fields either.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Fitz has really dropped the ball this season . 

we lost Hamilton , hughes , meier , Nico , Palat ,Seigenthaler . for long spells .  and lost Mcleod ( even took his cap hit off ). 

goaltending and defense has been near league worst .

who does he bring in ?

Desmond - yet to play

Macdermid - played 3:00 with no fanfare .

a 4th round pick !!!

Thats it !!!!!!

poor poor job .

this bad season is not on injuries , its about not fixing those problems and addressing the goal situation .

This bad season  falls on FItZ  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am weary of Ullmark because I am not sure if there is something about how Boston plays that really helps him and JS. When Ullmark played on a worse team, where he was more exposed, he wasn't able to steal games. He looked average at best. Just not sure how much of Ullmark now is his own growth or him being the beneficiary of a good system, good team play, and splitting the workload.

NJ has shown to be not as good defensively but also plays a high risk transition game.

I got no idea though, so yea sure... Ullmark. Let's do it.

Goalies are very difficult to analyze so I could totally believe Ullmark's success is at least partially driven by Boston's system. Ullmark's cumulative goals saved above expected numbers are massively different when comparing his Boston vs Buffalo days:

w/ Boston: 121 GP, .923 SV%, +48 goals saved above expected 

w/ Buffalo: 117 GP, .912 SV%, -29 goals saved above expected

Since 2020-21, the Devils have the 2nd worst team SV% (Boston is best, by the way)... is it really ALL on the goalies? I don't think it's unfair to argue the Bruins' system makes goalies look better than they are while the Devils' system does the opposite.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Goalies are very difficult to analyze so I could totally believe Ullmark's success is at least partially driven by Boston's system. Ullmark's cumulative goals saved above expected numbers are massively different when comparing his Boston vs Buffalo days:

w/ Boston: 121 GP, .923 SV%, +48 goals saved above expected 

w/ Buffalo: 117 GP, .912 SV%, -29 goals saved above expected

Since 2020-21, the Devils have the 2nd worst team SV% (Boston is best, by the way)... is it really ALL on the goalies? I don't think it's unfair to argue the Bruins' system makes goalies look better than they are the Devils' system does the opposite.

Yeah this is what I've been getting at.

Have the Devils goalies been good this year?  Overall, no, not really.  And I've said it elsewhere but Fitz can't bet on them again.  

Have they been helped out much at all by the team in front of them?  With rare exceptions, absolutely not.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Can't believe someone actually bought my tickets for Thursday for face value after watching this team over the past week. Bless them. 

They’re probably Blues fans 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

They’re probably Blues fans 

Doesn't matter to me, I listed almost every home game left besides the 19th when we are supposed to be wearing the stadium series jerseys and the last home game. I have some buybacks left too. If they don't sell then I'll go.

Season is toast, might as well get any money I can back. 

• Like 2

I'm going on Tuesday, my mom bought a block of about 50 tickets to sell for her church booster club and people were still asking this morning if she had any left to sell. It's so disappointing that folks actually want to see this team play and THIS is what the fans get.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I'm going on Tuesday, my mom bought a block of about 50 tickets to sell for her church booster club and people were still asking this morning if she had any left to sell. It's so disappointing that folks actually want to see this team play and THIS is what the fans get.

Seriously.  As I pointed out a day or two ago, there's still 25% of the season left, a year after a promising season where we ousted our arch rivals in 7 games in a post season series, were basically watching a dysfunctional team and waving the white flag with 21 games left. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

My condolences. Loud FIRE LINDY chants please.

Have them bring a banner that says "HEY FITZ EVEN JESUS WOULD FIRE RUFF!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, smelly said:

There are no plausible FAs.

There are no plausible internal options.

Draft pick -- even if pans out -- doesn't fit the window.

Trade is unavoidable.

Only questions are for whom and at what cost.

Trades can happen in the offseason. Conditions change for teams all the time, especially after a post season.

41 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

They have totally blown and wasted such a springboard of a season for exploding the fan base. Interest/attendance off the charts. And they completely botched it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, devlman said:

Trades can happen in the offseason. Conditions change for teams all the time, especially after a post season.

Yup. Teams that will have more cap space and those whose goalies crater in the postseason will drive prices higher. Yay!

1 hour ago, smelly said:

Yup. Teams that will have more cap space and those whose goalies crater in the postseason will drive prices higher. Yay!

Not necessarily if supply goes up.

12 minutes ago, smelly said:

Boston sniffing around Lazar. 

Fitz not inclined . . . yet. 

I’d like to hold on to Lazar for the bottom six moving forward. Whatever we get won’t be worth more than what he brings. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, smelly said:

Boston sniffing around Lazar. 

Fitz not inclined . . . yet. 

Keep him. He is valuable as a bottom six. Regarding TT, I am not sure what really is the best move. On one hand he does like it here and wants to stay. On the other hand we could probably get a 1st round pick. The issue is that it would be a low 1st, which doesn't hold much value in this draft. I say sign him regardless of what happens over the next month. The key here of course is whether he would take an even slightly team friendly deal.