2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Someone on HF brought this point up but if you're actually looking to trade Holtz then talking negatively about him sure doesn't boost his trade value lol

4D chess move by Fitzy

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Someone on HF brought this point up but if you're actually looking to trade Holtz then talking negatively about him sure doesn't boost his trade value lol

IMG_7467.gif

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's why I think he pretty much has to have a deal already lined up and ready to go. If you're not planning to trade Holtz within the next 3 days, saying what he said and doing what they're doing (4th line), even under a new coach, is moronic. Even if he's sour on Holtz, you still should be giving him top-9 minutes or better to boost his value before the summer and not making comments that single him out like that. 

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Speaking of injuries, I can't stand Blackwood but this does feel similar to what happened with Jack and Nico... 

So he says this a year after getting traded why?

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

So he says this a year after getting traded why?

Maybe cause they were talking about his recent injury, the full quote about it really isn't pointing fingers per say cause he acknowledged he didn't say no either but it does track with what we have seen with Jack, Timo and Nico 

"

"I'm not saying anything. It's just one of those things where I think if I could have hindsight, I would have waited a lot longer," Blackwood said. "If you play on something that's not 100% comfortable, you start compensating, and everything else falters. I'm wiser and older now. The older you get, the more you can kind of put your foot down and suit up. I don't think I'll have that situation ever again."

As for if he had control in New Jersey:

"It was conversations. We talked about it together. Obviously, you can always say no," Blackwood explained. "It was one of those conversations we had where it's probably not going to get worse if you keep going, but it might take longer to get back to 100."

He confirmed that taking longer to get back to 100% is exactly what happened. He knows that if he ever gets hurt again, like he is now, he will wait until he is fully healthy, regardless of what is said to him." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Maybe cause they were talking about his recent injury, the full quote about it really isn't pointing fingers per say cause he acknowledged he didn't say no either but it does track with what we have seen with Jack, Timo and Nico 

"

"I'm not saying anything. It's just one of those things where I think if I could have hindsight, I would have waited a lot longer," Blackwood said. "If you play on something that's not 100% comfortable, you start compensating, and everything else falters. I'm wiser and older now. The older you get, the more you can kind of put your foot down and suit up. I don't think I'll have that situation ever again."

As for if he had control in New Jersey:

"It was conversations. We talked about it together. Obviously, you can always say no," Blackwood explained. "It was one of those conversations we had where it's probably not going to get worse if you keep going, but it might take longer to get back to 100."

He confirmed that taking longer to get back to 100% is exactly what happened. He knows that if he ever gets hurt again, like he is now, he will wait until he is fully healthy, regardless of what is said to him." 

Consensus internally was that McKenzie was just a really weird dude that no one could get through to. They were so sick of his crap that there was no way he was coming back even if he had won the Vezina.

Let’s just say I heard a very, very different version of this story last season. If you go back and look you can see where I mentioned it obliquely. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

My preference on age:

Ullmark then Markstrom.

Why bother with Lankinen? The season is dead, it’ll be Hammond 2.0 at this point

Agree, let Daws and Schmid alternate for the rest of the season and then maybe keep one of them in Utica for depth.  But neither one should figure into next year’s plans for the big club.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, let Daws and Schmid alternate for the rest of the season and then maybe keep one of them in Utica for depth.  But neither one should figure into next year’s plans for the big club.  

Maybe this makes me even slower to adjust on my thinking than Fitz but if they do go the Markstrom route, wouldn't he be the prefect guy for Schmid to learn behind or have we completely given up hope on him?      

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Maybe this makes me even slower to adjust on my thinking than Fitz but if they do go the Markstrom route, wouldn't he be the prefect guy for Schmid to learn behind or have we completely given up hope on him?      

I more feel like running it back with any of these three (VV too) is dangerous…if they start slow there’s going to be no leeway at all…everyone will be all over Fitz.  I think the Devils have to move on from VV and at least one of Schmid or Daws.  Maybe these two should get another look given their ages but I really feel like new guys are needed in net.  Not everything was their fault but it feels like bringing them back and having them factor into the fate of the 2024-25 Devils has too much blowup potential.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I more feel like running it back with any of these three (VV too) is dangerous…if they start slow there’s going to be no leeway at all…everyone will be all over Fitz.  I think the Devils have to move on from VV and at least one of Schmid or Daws.  Maybe these two should get another look given their ages but I really feel like new guys are needed in net.  Not everything was their fault but it feels like bringing them back and having them factor into the fate of the 2024-25 Devils has too much blowup potential.

Man, they’re both still really young in goalie years (23). I can’t imagine giving up on either one just yet. 

But you’re right that they shouldn’t be counted on with the big club next season. Both obviously need more seasoning in the AHL (and away from Rogalski). 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Man, they’re both still really young in goalie years (23). I can’t imagine giving up on either one just yet. 

But you’re right that they shouldn’t be counted on with the big club next season. Both obviously need more seasoning in the AHL (and away from Rogalski). 

FWIW Schmid will be 24 in May (Daws doesn't turn 24 until December).

Yeah I hear ya about how young they are, but at the same time, I'm leery of guys getting TOO many chances or too much status quo, though I guess you can argue that Daws' first look came under less-than-ideal circumstances.  I'm not against the idea of one of them playing in Utica next season, it's more that if one of them is already up here and the Devils' new Plan A goalie gets hurt and then suddenly it's Schmid and Daws on the big club again...you know how well THAT'S going to go over, especially if they struggle.

It's interesting, because Schmid and Daws are RFA after this season, and VV is only a year away from UFA...Fitz can really clean house if he wanted to go full nuclear on the current goalie situation.    

• Like 2

This season is dead..

Might as well sell off what you can and just get the highest pick possible.

No need to bring in a goalie now.

The off-season should target a quality defensive defenseman, TWO GOOD goalies and a brand new coaching staff and turn this ship around quickly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

My preference on age:

Ullmark then Markstrom.

Why bother with Lankinen? The season is dead, it’ll be Hammond 2.0 at this point

Agreed, if you wanted a stopgap rental (I've previously suggested Kahkonen), you're like 2 weeks late. The Devils' playoff odds are now below 10%. 

James Nichols also wrote about Jason Zucker (??), which would be even more stupefying. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Was a little curious about this guy today, and I had a laugh while looking him up.

Screenshot_20240306-125845_Chrome.jpg

Maybe somebody mixed it up with his father.. or brother 😐