GDT: 12/07/23 Devils @ Kraken 10:30 EST ESPN

Rock

For funsies, say we trade dougie. What are you asking for him. I love his attributions to the team, WHEN HE MAKES THEM, but he's obviously an offensive stud. Assuming nemec takes his role, what do you trade Hamilton for?

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

Most armchair GMs would be looking for a goalie. Then the really good armchair GMs will tell you that he has a NMC/NTC

EDIT: I stand corrected, his NMC doesn't kick in until 25-26. He submits a 10 team trade list. I think other teams would look for us to retain on that 9m and I would refuse that. 

As a defenseman who is nearly a point per game player when he's healthy, he should fetch a return. 

I appreciate the input, and I think I agree with that

credit to all of you who stayed up for this one, I couldn’t do it with early show to work today

glad they pulled out a win and only allowed a single goal for a change.

Also, this team somehow is just 2 points from a wildcard spot and 3 from 2nd in the division AND they have games in hand on everyone ahead of them except for Washington and Toronto.

Not bad with all things considering.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, moustic said:

B.Smith was benched after his stupid penalty...  Some accountability there then (despite some comments here ; ) )

That’s good, but let’s face it, this was a looooooooong time coming…Smith has taken a TON of awful penalties (often at the worst possible time), with absolutely no retribution whatsoever.

But hopefully this is a sign that Lindy’s finally losing the blinders when it comes to this guy.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Also, this team somehow is just 2 points from a wildcard spot and 3 from 2nd in the division AND they have games in hand on everyone ahead of them except for Washington and Toronto.

Not bad with all things considering.

Yeah purely from “the standings” standpoint, I haven’t really been too worried.  Just about everyone else in the division except the Rangers is fighting it right now, or has some flaws.  The Flyers and Caps have put up better records than anyone expected, but earlier on I mentioned that both of them have a lot of road games coming up…that might take them down a peg.

Isles have picked it up offensively lately…we’ll see if they can keep that up.

• Like 2

@smelly don't know if you've been paying attention, but Edmonton has won 5 in a row and has outscored their opponents 27-8 in those games.  They're also 7-3 overall since Knoblauch took over.

It's pretty small sample stuff, but for now, safe to say that a coaching change there did make a difference after all.  Still lots of work to be done for sure, but at least they can start to see the rim of the hole that they dug themselves into.

That being said, I know Lindy isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it's not me pining for something that I know isn't going to happen...it's more that you can't really say that changing coaches in Edmonton hasn't helped them.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@smelly don't know if you've been paying attention, but Edmonton has won 5 in a row and has outscored their opponents 27-8 in those games.  They're also 7-3 overall since Knoblauch took over.

It's pretty small sample stuff, but for now, safe to say that a coaching change there did make a difference after all.  Still lots of work to be done for sure, but at least they can start to see the rim of the hole that they dug themselves into.

That being said, I know Lindy isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it's not me pining for something that I know isn't going to happen...it's more that you can't really say that changing coaches in Edmonton hasn't helped them.    

Yes -- because they are finally getting some solid goalkeeping, averaging only 1.6 GA.

20 minutes ago, smelly said:

Yes -- because they are finally getting some solid goalkeeping, averaging only 1.6 GA.

Not the ONLY reason though.  Edmonton only averaged 2.5 GF under Woodcroft.  They're averaging 4.5 GF since the change...that's not strictly due to improved goaltending.  Maybe the team as a whole is playing better due to the coaching change, in all facets?  It's fair to assume that could be the case, though obviously this has to continue...teams sometimes get a nice short-term lift from a coaching change, and then start to slide backwards again.  Edmonton still has a ways to go in re-establishing true relevance for 2023-24.

32 minutes ago, smelly said:

Schmid -- just one goal on 3.95 expected goals.  Great job.  Now do it again.

Schmid instead of Smid.  Great job.  Now keep doing that ;)  (not being snarky, that whole Smid thing was just annoying, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in thinking that).  Hopefully Schmid gets on some kind of a roll...he's actually put up a .914 save% over his last 8 appearances...and that includes that San Jose debacle.  He's been at .929 or better in 6 out of those 8 appearances.  Might as well try to look for reasons to hope that one of these guys gets it going, because the pickins outside the organization are VERY slim, and at least two other teams (Carolina and now Toronto) are going to start looking for goaltending help themselves.  

• Like 1

Well....I think it's fair to say we have some young potential defensive studs (Hughes, Nemec) on this team and it's just getting started. I can't wait to see how Casey plays also once he makes it up to the big club. 

Now draft a defensive defenseman with brains and size (to hopefully push Smith and Seigs). 👍

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Well....I think it's fair to say we have some young potential defensive studs (Hughes, Nemec) on this team and it's just getting started. I can't wait to see how Casey plays also once he makes it up to the big club. 

This is still a ways off but being that this is Year 3 of Dougie's contract, Fitz might try to explore getting out from under Dougie's remaining term as early as the 2025 offseason (basically with three seasons left on his deal)...not necessarily an indictment on Dougie, as much as Fitz trying to create cap space...Luke is up for an extension after 2024-25 (Year 4 for Dougie), and it sure looks like Nemec will follow after 2025-26 (Year 5 for Dougie).  Of course other deals with be further along as well (making them more movable), and this isn't a question to be answered today.  But Fitz probably never imagined when he signed Dougie that along with Luke in the wings (he'd already been drafted when Dougie came aboard, just days before), that he'd also wind up with Nemec and Casey too.

At any rate, I'll be surprised if Dougie is still here by the time his last two seasons roll around.  The good news there is that the actual cost of those seasons is less than his actual hit:  only $8.4 million for Year 6, and $5.25 million for Year 7.  That could definitely help when the time comes.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Now draft a defensive defenseman with brains and size (to hopefully push Smith and Seigs). 👍

I haven’t given up on Bahl for this role.   He’s come a long, long way since this time last year and tall defenseman can take forever to develop. 

• Like 1