Lindy Ruff RELIEVED Of duties, Green Temp Coach

Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Just listening to Green's presser. He confirmed Nemec is sitting tonight, citing his play has "dipped the last 3 weeks."

Here are Nemec's on-ice impacts since 2/12: 

- 75% goal share at 5v5 (#1 among Devils' defensemen in that period)
- 62% expected goal share at 5v5 (#2 among Devils' defensemen in that period)

So Green has: moved Jack back to wing, kept Timo on the left, and now he’s scratching Nemec. This guy may be a bigger moron than Lindy. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

So Green has: moved Jack back to wing, kept Timo on the left, and now he’s scratching Nemec. This guy may be a bigger moron than Lindy. 

I'm unaffected by much of what Green does, mostly because I know that the season's already done, and once it's over, Green will be too. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm unaffected by much of what Green does, mostly because I know that the season's already done, and once it's over, Green will be too. 

My only uncertainty about these latest moves—and I’m probably reading too much into them because of Fitz’s comments about Holtz—is whether they’re a sign Nemec is about to become the new team whipping boy, something that doesn’t appear justified based on his play, irrespective of what Green says.  He’s been better than every other defenseman, a distinction made all the more remarkable by his age and level of experience.

If Nemec is sitting for the sake of load management, then fine, but why go out of the way to criticize him for something of which he’s not actually guilty?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nessus said:

Scratching Nemec is just an insane move. This group needs a fresh set of eyes for sure. Looking forward to the Fire Green chants, with or without moustic’s approval. 

If the Devils play poorly this evening, I’ll settle for “Where is Nemec?” chants.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

My only uncertainty about these latest moves—and I’m probably reading too much into them because of Fitz’s comments about Holtz—is whether they’re a sign Nemec is about to become the new team whipping boy, something that doesn’t appear justified based on his play, irrespective of what Green says.  He’s been better than every other defenseman, a distinction made all the more remarkable by his age and level of experience.

If Nemec is sitting for the sake of load management, then fine, but why go out of the way to criticize him for something of which he’s not actually guilty?

I'm not worried about this at all.  I don't get why Nemec is sitting, but it probably won't mean much in the grand scheme.  I don't see this "new whipping boy" thing happening with him at all.

But if anything, I think it's going to be a true "clean house" situation with the coaching staff this offseason.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

Don't really mind the sitting if it's a game, but I think Luke needs it worse and I bet they never sit him. 

That’s the thing.  Why is Nemec sitting while Luke plays, as one has clearly been better than the other, and for some time now?  If Green and Fitz are worried about pissing off Jack, they should remember that he’s probably harder on his brother than they would be by scratching him.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, nessus said:

Scratching Nemec is just an insane move. This group needs a fresh set of eyes for sure. Looking forward to the Fire Green chants, with or without moustic’s approval. 

How bout scratching Smith? Permanently.

• EvilHeart 2

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

What’s particularly puzzling about the Nemec situation is that neither analytics nor the eye test supports Green’s assertions that Simon’s play has dipped, so I’d like to hear more about the rationale for benching him—although, as I said earlier, I don’t mind Nemec resting in and of itself, as this is the first time he’s played an NHL schedule, so he could probably use a day to reset.  I just don’t want him to become the new Holtz now that the original appears consigned to Western Conference oblivion, as nothing we’ve seen suggests he’s not playing hard or paying attention to his coaches.  It’s certainly possible there have been issues behind the scenes, but I don’t like to assume the worst about people in the absence of empiric evidence.

As for the Hughes brothers, I absolutely think Jack should’ve been benched for a shift after his temper tantrum in the home game against the Kings, as he was fortunate to avoid a game misconduct after breaking his stick on the boards, and I think Luke needs to sit 1-2 games as punishment for his carelessness with the puck.

It may be the first time he’s played an NHL schedule but he played like 65 games in the AHL last year, not like he crash dummied into a rookie wall like someone who played 30 or so games in college last year

• Like 1

My ass is packed to the point of it being painful with the smoke the Ghost is blowing with this pregame interview and how Sal is gargling his sack like he has no pride.  Embarrassing all the way around. You fell asleep at the wheel clown.  For those of you that have faith in this GM, good on ya. He instills 0.0 faith in my belief he's the answer here. He punted the season away on 2nd down months ago. 

"those aren't excuses" but I'm going to talk about them anyway. So hate the fact I turned in for this.

35 minutes ago, capo said:

You can't say all this sh!t about still trying to make the playoffs and then healthy scratch Nemec.  This is Mickey Mouse stuff...

I don’t think that Fitz is really being honest about thinking that the Devils can make it, but he’s not gonna say that…he doesn’t want his players to just give up completely.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don’t think that Fitz is really being honest about thinking that the Devils can make it, but he’s not gonna say that…he doesn’t want his players to just give up completely.

They've already given up completely. Total horsesh!t team. 

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not worried about this at all.  I don't get why Nemec is sitting, but it probably won't mean much in the grand scheme.  I don't see this "new whipping boy" thing happening with him at all.

But if anything, I think it's going to be a true "clean house" situation with the coaching staff this offseason.  

Where can we find the next Jon Cooper?

Pretty fair article written by Politi…basically made it clear that although Lindy did enough to lose his job, he’s hardly the only one worthy of blame.

We know the deal…even if some of us understood Fitz’s decisions at the time (such as betting on his goalies for a variety of reasons), it’s all about results, and this became a mostly lost season.  Now it’s on him to get this whole thing back on track, to the tune of making the playoffs next season...Devils can’t miss them AGAIN next season, no way.  LOTS to do…first real crossroads moment of his GM tenure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty fair article written by Politi…basically made it clear that although Lindy did enough to lose his job, he’s hardly the only one worthy of blame.

We know the deal…even if some of us understood Fitz’s decisions at the time (such as betting on his goalies for a variety of reasons), it’s all about results, and this became a mostly lost season.  Now it’s on him to get this whole thing back on track, to the tune of making the playoffs next season...Devils can’t miss them AGAIN next season, no way.  LOTS to do…first real crossroads moment of his GM tenure.

If Mike Sullivan is available, that’s the guy. If not, Craig Berube. Todd McClellan is another solid candidate.

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If Mike Sullivan is available, that’s the guy. If not, Craig Berube. Todd McClellan is another solid candidate.

Yeah there will be solid candidates out there, and I can understand Fitz wanting to meet with as many as possible once the season ends, in trying to find the guy who's hopefully going to join Lemaire, Robinson, and Burns in Devils' lore.  Won't be easy watching Lindy Part Deux (Green) for the next 20 games, but given how deep the hole had become, I don't think even a name coach would've had enough time to vault the Devils into the playoffs...such a coach might have been able to coax more wins out of this group than Green will, but not so many as to truly threaten anyone currently holding a playoff berth.  That's why I can't get bent out of shape about anything Green does, as he's strictly caretaking...he should enjoy this little HC run, because he won't ever get another one.  

In the interim, Fitz is going to have to deal with a LOT of criticism and articles ripping him for this season to date...especially since there's not much that he can do at this point to right the ship.  Until the Devils are looking good in, say, late November next season, it's going to be a lot of barbs, mostly "Waited too long to fire Lindy" and "Never addressed personnel needs throughout the season, even when he had money freed up to do so".  

• Like 3

I really hope we don't get Berube. I know this team needs to get tougher, and he obviously was when he was a player, but I really fear he won't know how to get the most from our young and fast team. He was a fourth line player his whole career and really can't relate to the incredible speed as skill of today's game. And don't give me that the guy won a Cup - he inherited a pretty good team his first seat in STL and Binnington is really the main reason they squeaked by in 7 games. After that, they had two first round exits, a second round exit, and then misses the playoffs. Not exactly a fit who's led a group and created a consistent powerhouse. 

Sullivan doesn't really excite me either. He seems way too mild mannered. Reminds me of another blank stare, no answers Lindy type guy. 

I really wanted Laviolette when he was available and I think we missed the boat there big time. Hate that he's across the river leading our rivals. 

It's too bad Trotz has a GM job.  

Edited by NJDfan1711

19 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I really hope we don't get Berube. I know this team needs to get tougher, and he obviously was when he was a player, but I really fear he won't know how to get the most from our young and fast team. He was a fourth line player his whole career and really can't relate to the incredible speed as skill of today's game.

I always looked at it the other way.   Generally, the guys fighting for a 4th line job their whole career had to pay more attention to the coaches and the little details of the game vs the superstars who could get by a lot of times based on natural ability.      

• Like 4

Green is going to keep us in the single-digit-draft-pick range, so I'm here for it.

I'm expecting them to lose the vast majority of their remaining games and start shutting players down.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I always looked at it the other way.   Generally, the guys fighting for a 4th line job their whole career had to pay more attention to the coaches and the little details of the game vs the superstars who could get by a lot of times based on natural ability.      

That makes sense. I don't doubt that guys like Berube had to work harder and pay more attention. Could be an interesting way to go for sure. If nothing else, I'd expect him to be a disciplinarian, which would be good. 

43 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Green is going to keep us in the single-digit-draft-pick range, so I'm here for it.

I'm expecting them to lose the vast majority of their remaining games and start shutting players down.

I don't know if they plan to shut guys down, but I don't think they should do it under any circumstances other than if a guy is banged up (like Jack, if in fact his shoulder is still not 100%, which I'm not convinced of).  

Outside of that, I am not in favor of resting guys for the sake of "load management" or simply avoiding injury.  This team is the youngest in the entire league.  They're loaded with energy and should be able to play a complete season.  They're not aging vets who are tired and need to rest.

You want to call up a guy from the minors for a game or two to give him a look and see what he can do? Fine. But the core of this team who will be here next year are the guys who need to be playing these last 20 games. It is absolutely the time now, when it doesn't matter, for them to be practicing in real and actual game situations.  Build your chemistry now. Work on your skills, plays, and system now. So that you aren't wasting time next year when it actually does matter. 

If we use October and November of 2024 to do that, I'm going to be fvcking pissed.  That's how seasons get away from you early, when you're not prepared and you're doing things that you should've done at the conclusion of the prior season (or at worst, in the off season). 

Edited by NJDfan1711

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

And don't give me that the guy won a Cup - he inherited a pretty good team his first seat in STL and Binnington is really the main reason they squeaked by in 7 games. 

That Blues team was in dead last place in the entire league when he took over during the middle of that season. He gets plenty of credit for righting the ship in my book. 

• Like 4