GDT: Devils host Panthers - 5 March @ 7pm

jagknife

4 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Don't like this. Makes way more sense to sit Luke, whose play has dipped the last few weeks, especially defensively.

I’d prefer Luke be scratched too. However I’m just happy our young defensemen are now eligible for breathers/breaks/learning from the upstairs suite. Added veteran to take his place is a bonus and will likely help our overall defensive game.

1 minute ago, DevilMinder said:

I will take a deep breath, others have pointed out on twitter that Nemec was a bit banged up lately, maybe he does need a break for the stretch run.

Okay, fine, fair.

14 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

What if Lindy starts attending games as a fan just to heckle Holtz?

I’m only kidding, of course.  LGD!

If the presser (and today’s lineup) proved anything today it’s that the Holtz treatment wasn’t solely Lindy 

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

What's the deal with Palat? Hurt? Or....healthy scratch?  If the latter, I get that the guy has been a disappointment this year, but you can't start Tierney over him if he's healthy. Tierney brings next to nothing. 

I'm really trying to understand the thought process with putting Jack at wing. Is it maybe to take some of the pressure off him? Maybe he's not excelling at face-offs and Haula is better?  I dunno. I just think with Jack speed and puck handling you want him going north to south as much as possible. 

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What's the deal with Palat? Hurt? Or....healthy scratch?  If the latter, I get that the guy has been a disappointment this year, but you can't start Tierney over him if he's healthy. Tierney brings next to nothing. 

I'm really trying to understand the thought process with putting Jack at wing. Is it maybe to take some of the pressure off him? Maybe he's not excelling at face-offs and Haula is better?  I dunno. I just think with Jack speed and puck handling you want him going north to south as much as possible. 

I think they’re trying to protect Jack from further injury, but as he’s not effective as a wing, I don’t know what they think he’ll be able to contribute playing there.  If his shoulder is a concern, then it’s probably best to shut him down.  The Devils aren’t making the playoffs, so there’s nothing for Jack to play for.  Better he use this time to get healthy and prepare for next season.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I will take a deep breath, others have pointed out on twitter that Nemec was a bit banged up lately, maybe he does need a break for the stretch run.

Yeah if it's the equivalent of a "maintenance game", I can live with it.  Nemec is going to be here a long time, and was up here ahead of schedule to begin with.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

I think they’re trying to protect Jack from further injury, but as he’s not effective as a wing, I don’t know what they think he’ll be able to contribute playing there.  If his shoulder is a concern, then it’s probably best to shut him down.  The Devils aren’t making the playoffs, so there’s nothing for Jack to play for.  Better he use this time to get healthy and prepare for next season.

I suppose that could be it, but I don't really get how playing him at wing makes him less vulnerable to injuries.  Instead of taking more open ice hits, he'll be taking hits into and along the boards. Hell, you could make the argument he's more at risk in the wing, because it probably means he has to go into the corners too, which is always a dangerous area for hits. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

If they are trying to protect Jack that much from further injury and he has an injury thats that bad then they should just shut him down. Maybe they wanna just give it another week until we are even more toast. 

Agreed, especially if the team has nothing to play for.  Green’s unlikely to be with the Devils beyond April 15, so there’s also no reason for Jack to have any sort of relationship with him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I actually like those lines.

Tierney in the third line though highlights that Fitz has neglected his depth since the McLeod departure. I know that’s Palat’s spot but Tierney shouldn’t be a next man up. He’s not even an NHL player.

Edited by devlman

55 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

If they are trying to protect Jack that much from further injury and he has an injury thats that bad then they should just shut him down. Maybe they wanna just give it another week until we are even more toast. 

I think the new defensive system requires more from the center, which will inhibit a rush in favor from happening. Putting him on the wing allows Jack to still lead a rush the other way. 

• Like 1