GDT: The Final Game of 2023-24 - 15 April - OTLanders at Devils - 7pm

jagknife

Just now, Nicomo said:

One bright spot - Luke with another strong defensive effort. 

Speaking of Luke…one mutant behind me was complaining about how much Luke sucks, that he’s only here because of Jack, and why did Fitz even trade for him (I kid you not about that last part).

Think I had to count to 10 at least once.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, Green didn’t show us ANYTHING that suggests that he’s the guy.  If anything he benefitted from absolute Herculean goaltending and still finished with pretty crappy record during his run here.

According to Matt and Chico, Fitz met with a gathering of season ticket holders and admitted that even early in the season, he knew there was a chance the Devils would struggle for most of the year, as there were too many defensive breakdowns, and practices weren’t as intense as he’d have preferred.  What I can’t understand is why, if he saw things he didn’t like, he waited so long to make any changes.  I hope he’s learned something.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Confused 1
  • Angry 2
  • Vomiting 1

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

According to Matt and Chico, Fitz met with a gathering of season ticket holders and admitted that even early in the season, he knew there was a chance the Devils would struggle for most of the year, as there were too many defensive breakdowns, and practices weren’t as intense as he’d have preferred.  What I can’t understand is why, if he saw things he didn’t like, he waited so to make any changes.  I hope he’s learned something.

Signing Lindy to that extension put him in a very bad spot.  Hard to admit that you might have made a mistake that early.  But like has been said 1000000 times on here, he absolutely waited too long.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

According to Matt and Chico, Fitz met with a gathering of season ticket holders and admitted that even early in the season, he knew there was a chance the Devils would struggle for most of the year, as there were too many defensive breakdowns, and practices weren’t as intense as he’d have preferred.  What I can’t understand is why, if he saw things he didn’t like, he waited so long to make any changes.  I hope he’s learned something.

I will die on the “Keeping Lindy was personal” hill

he felt obligated to his friend and mentor and it cost the team

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Let me tell you that had I been among that group, I’d be asking so many questions I’d probably have been kicked out. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Luke played in all 82. He had his ups and downs, but all in all, it was a very good rookie season for him. 

Yeah and it’s not like he was helped by the staff.  Agree, considering that he was 20, playing in his first full season, and stuck on a rudderless ship, I think he had a pretty good rookie season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Luke played in all 82. He had his ups and downs, but all in all, it was a very good rookie season for him. 

Yeah, I’ve no complaints about Luke’s or Simon’s seasons.  Both had stretches where they struggled—Luke, in January and February, and Simon, these last 2-3 weeks, but they’re not the problem, and both figure to get better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Who’s the lucky fan who gets Smith’s jersey? I think I’d break out a lighter and just burn it.

I’m surprised there were even twenty Devils fans left in the building TO give away jerseys too

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Angry Madness GIF by reactionseditor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Maybe that was an unspoken reason why they refused to ever get him the day off Nemec eventually got when Luke was on fumes for months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

It was indeed. Team record for points by a rookie defenseman, and he should be a Calder finalist.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Lol... So he knew the ship was sinking and didn't do sh!t. He just let us all go down with it.

the captain GIF

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ButlerBulldog said:

Probably had to cry over it several times each week for months because he didn't wanna hurt Lindy's feeling because Lindy is a real person. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smelly said:

Word is unless your name is Jack, Luke, Nico, Simon, Jesper or Timo you shouldn’t leave any stuff in Jersey cuz Fitz will absolutely move you in the right transaction. Literally everyone else is available. 

Exciting! so he willing to deal mostly spare parts and underperformers to upgrade the team. Should bring in a windfall. Who knows what Doug will look like going forward especially compared to his deal. Focus on locking up MacDermid square away the priorities first. 

Good luck with that Fitz, now be sure to sit with Green and get his thought. During  the pregame they were so busy giving him a reach around they forgot to ask if his leg was sore from punting this season away while also going into hibernation. 

At least the gameday beatings are over for now. Stay healthy all over the ~6 month off season. 

I'm glad they got embarrassed at home by a mediocre team to close out the season. I don't want anyone, especially not Fitz, to walk away from this season with anything but a bitter taste in their mouth. Lots of work to be done, and it starts now.

Let's go 2024-2025 Devils.

• Like 1

Aside the "technical" deficiencies this team has clearly manifested this season, I think the bigger concern is team culture and intangibles which need to be addressed expeditiously or else we risk another Edmonton Oilers situation.

6 hours ago, titans04 said:

Exciting! so he willing to deal mostly spare parts and underperformers to upgrade the team. Should bring in a windfall. Who knows what Doug will look like going forward especially compared to his deal. Focus on locking up MacDermid square away the priorities first. 

Good luck with that Fitz, now be sure to sit with Green and get his thought. During  the pregame they were so busy giving him a reach around they forgot to ask if his leg was sore from punting this season away while also going into hibernation. 

At least the gameday beatings are over for now. Stay healthy all over the ~6 month off season. 

I wouldn’t worry about Green too much…that part was more about being sure not to burn a bridge, just in case…but the Devils’ HC gig is attractive enough that it’s hard to imagine that multiple candidates won’t emerge as far better options than Green.  I’d be stunned if he got the job.

As for the guys not available…that’s Captain Obvious stuff.  Everyone knows none of those guys were going to be dealt…all have multiple years left and none were really the issue this season; Luke and Simon had rookie struggles and that was to be expected, especially with both being asked to do more once Dougie was done.

And you also know that no real tough questions were coming in that interview, and at this point it’s much more about actions than words anyway.  There’s nothing Fitz can say that’s going to wash out the bad taste of 2023-24; the only way that’s going to start to happen is with moves to address team weaknesses.

If I have any beefs in particular with that interview, it’s that Fitz can’t tell me it’s playoffs or bust, yet sit on cap space and do very little to try to will the team into the playoffs.  Also, BIG difference between fighting to stay in the hunt and the other teams allowing the Devils to hang around…they closed out their season by going 2-6-1 over their final 9 games.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

One interesting thing from last night Organist Pete started to play the da da da  da di da on the organ expecting the Islander and Devils Fans to unite in RANGERS SUCK!  but dead silence was the result!

On a personal note to the (assumed) Ranger fan who slowed down in front of my house as me and my daughter were leaving  for the game and gave us the finger can go EAT SH!T AND DIE! I have spoken!😛

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rock said:

One interesting thing from last night Organist Pete started to play the da da da  da di da on the organ expecting the Islander and Devils Fans to unite in RANGERS SUCK!  but dead silence was the result!

On a personal note to the (assumed) Ranger fan who slowed down in front of my house as me and my daughter were leaving  for the game and gave us the finger can go EAT SH!T AND DIE! I have spoken!😛

I'm PRAYING they get bounced in the first round again

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I'm PRAYING they get bounced in the first round again

Me too, but they’re gonna get a lay down no matter who they play; Washington, Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit- none of these teams inspire confidence. 

• Like 1