GDT 10/09/2010 @ Capitals

MDPucks

Eh. Brodeur was horrible, Hedberg too. Our offense outplayed the Caps offense through 2 periods, which is saying a lot. The defense today was better than yesterday. You can't look at the 3rd period today as an indication of anything because by then our guys were already done. If Brodeur is on his game we are going into the 3rd period tied 2-2 at worst.

While the first period and half was fairly tight, the Caps started outskating the Devs in the latter half of the 2nd. I can't think of too many times in the game where the team made more than 2 connected passes. This team may one of the worst passing teqams in the league and skating isn't too far behind.(zip excluded)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While the first period and half was fairly tight, the Caps started outskating the Devs in the latter half of the 2nd. I can't think of too many times in the game where the team made more than 2 connected passes. This team may one of the worst passing teqams in the league and skating isn't too far behind.(zip excluded)

Sorry, but I disagree. In the first period both teams had stretches of dominance. I'd say we had a slight edge in the 1st. The 2nd period very strongly belonged to us, and we heavily outshot the Caps. However, after it became 4-2, our play went downhill and I don't consider anything after that point, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Amberite

a huge surprise. of course, the Isles got essentially the same result against the Stars, so you might want to re-assess that first game. didn't see it, never will. but it sounds pretty familiar, get a lead, and then get lit up.

Rolston getting injured would be a huge favor, because you just sit his ass for 10 games. it doesn't even matter if he's playing well or playing poorly. he's a LTIR bonanza.

What a cluster to attend that piece of crap.

What's plainly obvious to me is the only way the Devils are going to survive this terrible defense is if Brodeur stands on his head. Tonight he was shakey starting from warm-ups on and doesn't look comfortable at all in the crease. I think its the total lack of confidence in the defense is a big contributer to this.

Arnott looks great. Clarkson on the PP is a total liability and teams are going to press the Devils points hard with the 5 FWD PP look.

PL3 should be suspended because his fight was frankly trash. I understood all of the other fights totally but that one was total trash.

Totally frustrating attending that game since I had an ass hat Caps fan sitting right behind me. Caps fan family sitting in front were nice people.

At least we showed fight down the stretch. Watching Kovy go after Green was priceless...PL3 straight up mugged a guy

Watching Kovy and Green was pathetic and a terrible display of a hockey fight. Kovy needs to keep his gloves and score goals and let others deal this side of the game. Green is a cocky bitch but straightening him up is not for kovy to do......

Eh. Brodeur was horrible, Hedberg too. Our offense outplayed the Caps offense through 2 periods, which is saying a lot. The defense today was better than yesterday. You can't look at the 3rd period today as an indication of anything because by then our guys were already done. If Brodeur is on his game we are going into the 3rd period tied 2-2 at worst.

The Devils defense and goaltending has been atrocious in the first two games of the year.

the goaltending was fine yesterday, other than the last goal. apparently, today, it wasn't, but there was still a breakaway and a goal scored by someone coming out of the box, so it doesn't appear our awesome defensive stylings were totally blameless.

I just wish the guy coming out of the box wasn't Jason Chimera, it would look better if it was Semin or something like that. :lol:

plain and simple the style we are playing right now does not suit our team. sure we have a wealth of talent up front back on the d-line it is liability city.

get back to playing devils hockey i really don't care if we are boring and the rest of the league hates us. to blow up a system that worked so well last year because we couldn't beat one team is foolish. johnny mac will come to his senses soon enough much like sutter did in his first year.

plain and simple the style we are playing right now does not suit our team. sure we have a wealth of talent up front back on the d-line it is liability city.

get back to playing devils hockey i really don't care if we are boring and the rest of the league hates us. to blow up a system that worked so well last year because we couldn't beat one team is foolish. johnny mac will come to his senses soon enough much like sutter did in his first year.

You're way off.

This is the style NEEDED to play in 2010. We may not have the pieces, but we need to stick to this system and find out which players fit in and which players don't.

Growing pains.

You're way off.

This is the style NEEDED to play in 2010. We may not have the pieces, but we need to stick to this system and find out which players fit in and which players don't.

Growing pains.

says who? don't forget that the penguins trapped their way to a cup two years ago. clog up the neutral zone and score on the transition game. turnovers, turnovers, and turnovers. call me a dinosaur all you want but that is the way to do it.

both of you are nuts. it's the same system. watch a game from last October. they're a little more aggressive, but it's the same thing. pass out of the zone, carry and pass, carry and pass. the 3rd period was a good period on Friday because Dallas balled up and we started dumping it in.

the difference is that the D is at the point of almost complete turnover, so they're not playing particularly well in either zone and they're taking WAY too much pinches. some guys just need to hold the line.

I remember last year screaming at Paul Martin for being behind the net, screwing up and having it turned back on them, with absolutely no chance of him getting back into the play.

the goaltending was fine yesterday, other than the last goal. apparently, today, it wasn't, but there was still a breakaway and a goal scored by someone coming out of the box, so it doesn't appear our awesome defensive stylings were totally blameless.

I just wish the guy coming out of the box wasn't Jason Chimera, it would look better if it was Semin or something like that. :lol:

Brodeur was fine last night, even on the 4th goal. It was actually a great shot imo. Roofed upper right corner right over the glove on a 2 on 1. Pretty much handcuffed the goalie.

As for tonight, he should have had the first one, it was soft. I'm not going to say he played well tonight, he just didn't have it, but the team looked spotty at certain points as well. Second goal - no chance with the blown coverage and the third goal bounced off the ice (which was absolute sh*t tonight) On #4 Chimera caught him between the glove and pad, like Stall in 09. People just fail to relaize you don't see goals like that against other goalies because no one else plays like Brodeur. It was a back breaker and should have been stopped but he can be beat there. Chimera caught him. A butterfly goalie probably eats that shot up but you take the good with the bad I guess.

It was just a weird game. I really don't think the score is an accurate measurement of how it played out tbh. The Devils didn't play great but they were right there with the Caps for about half the game. Once Volchenkov got hurt the wheels kind of fell off. The Caps went into sniper mode and the Devils couldn't get out of their own way after that.

both of you are nuts. it's the same system. watch a game from last October. they're a little more aggressive, but it's the same thing. pass out of the zone, carry and pass, carry and pass. the 3rd period was a good period on Friday because Dallas balled up and we started dumping it in.

the difference is that the D is at the point of almost complete turnover, so they're not playing particularly well in either zone and they're taking WAY too much pinches. some guys just need to hold the line.

I remember last year screaming at Paul Martin for being behind the net, screwing up and having it turned back on them, with absolutely no chance of him getting back into the play.

it's a harder forecheck in the other team's zone, so far. goal #1 was off a forecheck that the devils probably don't try last year.

there's always a lot of talk about systems on here, but you don't reinvent the wheel. most teams, at least to my eyes, play a very similar style. there are wrinkles and idiosyncrasies, but it's largely the same thing, at least 5 on 5.

trade everyone! lol we will be fine, slow start as usual.

Exactly. The Devils were a second away from being 0-3 last year and were then first in the entire league two months later. Obviously that didn't last long but the team deserves at least 10 - 15 games to sort things out.

it's a harder forecheck in the other team's zone, so far. goal #1 was off a forecheck that the devils probably don't try last year.

there's always a lot of talk about systems on here, but you don't reinvent the wheel. most teams, at least to my eyes, play a very similar style. there are wrinkles and idiosyncrasies, but it's largely the same thing, at least 5 on 5.

there's little differences, but yeah, it's not like college football where you'll see some teams being conventional and other teams doing weird sh!t.

and I really only have one game and the preseason to guess what they're doing. the similar things I see are the pinching, the conceding of the neutral zone (although the pinching probably has alot to do with that), and if a defenseman has space, he tends to pass instead of gaining the red line and chucking the puck into the offensive zone.

if the Penguins look like crap on Monday, we're probably doing the same thing, because Bylsma couldn't figure it out to save his life last year. sh!t, *I'd* get mad at him because it was so dumb.

Edited by maxpower