GDT: Devils vs. Habs 7:30 ET

Devs3cups

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Devils didn't play that great today. They've definitely had a few losses where they were much better than tonight. The Devils got some bounces tonight in their favor as opposed to the other way, and that's the difference.

this but don't say it too loud or people might notice. colorado game they were better than this for sure.

I think people just want to see a win. I do too, but alot of things, especially with the forwards, coming off that many practice days, I was just disappointed by it. they have an opportunity to follow up on it. hell, just splitting gives them a winning week and at least that's a start.

but the forward games (yeah, I know Arnott had 2 points and that line had a great choke-out shift, but the game was already over anyway), other than 9-19-8, meh.

If I see PK Subban or whatever do his triple low five'er on the ice with his teammates vs. us I may vomit in my mouth.Save that crap for when your shooting dice in a back alley or watching dog fights somewhere PK.

Please Devils don;t give him any reason to do so.

Hey man, I hate that guy too, but there is seriously no place here for these kinds of posts. You're giving us a bad name. Get the fvck out, you ignorant blowhard.

I am really loving Taormina. From game 1 where he looked...undercooked, to now, it's crazy. There was no more dramatic an improvement than the one from game 1 to game 2 however. Nerves must have mattered.

Magnan was beat a few times, like when he came across to play the puck and got beat and had to cross the ice to get back/BODIED that guy down...and that's ok. If you get beat but hammer the guy down and make up for it, I'm ok with that! Hard to believe it was his first NHL game really. He looked pretty good.

I thought the Devils didn't play that great today. They've definitely had a few losses where they were much better than tonight. The Devils got some bounces tonight in their favor as opposed to the other way, and that's the difference.

I agree, this game in ways made up for some of the other games where the bounces weren't going the Devils' way. They had tremendous puck luck, but a win is a win, and The Devils needed one.

Marty's numbers are approaching respectability, just like that: .904 save% and a 2.70 GAA. Two shutouts bloat things a bit, but it's still nice to see the numbers looking a whole lot better than they were.

Kovy supporters will point to his 5 pts in 7 GP and make it sound like he's been pretty good, but it seems like every game his lack of general hockey intelligence is on display for all to see...the WTF moments are going to keep coming with this guy...if he can put in 40 or so then I guess we deal with it...

It's not like we were dominated though, we actually had more scoring chances than the Habs (although I'm not a big fan of the stat 95% of the time, to me any shot on goal is a 'scoring chance'). Our first period was nonexistent but after that the team played fairly well and didn't give up too many big chances, and the fact that our leading defenseman got just over 20 minutes of icetime with our sixth D getting just over 16 minutes is somewhat encouraging. Johnny Mac did a good job of spreading out the icetime last night.

Plus at least we've gotten our first line somewhat straightened out...the next step is to get Kovalchuk going on one of the other two lines and hopefully get people like Clarkson and Langs back on the beam.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Bingo

I'm a bit surprised that people are giving Kovy $hit. What did Bobby Holik say, "There's more to hockey than scoring goals." By breaking up that ZIP line and putting Kovy onto another line you make the opposing d run ragged trying to stop both the Kovy and Parise lines. It causes problems for the opposing team. It would have been nice if Kovy got more shots having so much ice time, but I'm sure he gave the habs fits with Parise on separate line.

Keep that Josefson, Elias, Kovy line together and dub it the Plan B line.

I'm a bit surprised that people are giving Kovy $hit. What did Bobby Holik say, "There's more to hockey than scoring goals." By breaking up that ZIP line and putting Kovy onto another line you make the opposing d run ragged trying to stop both the Kovy and Parise lines. It causes problems for the opposing team. It would have been nice if Kovy got more shots having so much ice time, but I'm sure he gave the habs fits with Parise on separate line.

Agreed. I said that before the season started and people thought is was blasphamey to put Kovy and Parise on different lines.

I would go one further by playing to your strengths: have Elias play with Arnott & Clarkson. That is three strong lines who can cover up a lot of mistakes by the defense and keep the pressure off each other.

It's only seven games, and there's a hell of a lot more hockey to play, but the fact is Kovalchuk looks pretty much like the Devils version of Kovalchuk of last year, right down to the shooting percentage that's well below his Atlanta norms. He makes some baffling decisions and doesn't bury as many opportunities as he should. Still early, no doubt, and if he ever gets on a tear this "meh" start will be forgotten, but he doesn't look any more comfortable/settled than he did last season.

His total number of regular season games as a Devil is only 34, and it IS a small sample, but outside of a moment here and there, we can't really say he's made much of an impact here...yet...

It's only seven games, and there's a hell of a lot more hockey to play, but the fact is Kovalchuk looks pretty much like the Devils version of Kovalchuk of last year, right down to the shooting percentage that's well below his Atlanta norms. He makes some baffling decisions and doesn't bury as many opportunities as he should. Still early, no doubt, and if he ever gets on a tear this "meh" start will be forgotten, but he doesn't look any more comfortable/settled than he did last season.

His total number of regular season games as a Devil is only 34, and it IS a small sample, but outside of a moment here and there, we can't really say he's made much of an impact here...yet...

he has 38 points in 39 games as a devil. i agree that he didn't play well last night, but i think it's very difficult to say he hasn't had an impact, even shooting way below his atlanta average.

he has 38 points in 39 games as a devil. i agree that he didn't play well last night, but i think it's very difficult to say he hasn't had an impact, even shooting way below his atlanta average.

The point totals don't fool me...I know that looks good, but we haven't seen HIM look good on a consistent basis yet. The early returns have been mixed at best, factoring in this player's stature and the expectations. He's got lots of time...15 years, in fact...to figure himself out.

The point totals don't fool me...I know that looks good, but we haven't seen HIM look good on a consistent basis yet. The early returns have been mixed at best, factoring in this player's stature and the expectations. He's got lots of time...15 years, in fact...to figure himself out.

this is really what he is, though. this is how superstars like this work. he'll parachute in and make a great play and get a point on that, and then he'll try a silly 1 on 2 play. the shooting will get better, but other than that, he's not going to start taking over games, making great plays every shift - that's not the sort of player he is.

this is really what he is, though. this is how superstars like this work. he'll parachute in and make a great play and get a point on that, and then he'll try a silly 1 on 2 play. the shooting will get better, but other than that, he's not going to start taking over games, making great plays every shift - that's not the sort of player he is.

At least you're being more fair in your assessment than some others...quite a few members on here seemed to think his warts were going to go away in due time. What's obvious is that he's going to need to start popping them in at the pace he set in Atlanta...12 goals in 34 GP (reg. season) isn't enough.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976