Lamoriello will make safe coaching choice for Devils: sources

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/here_the_hitch_3DrSNCvNNZ06zIEF53F5kL

So the name this time, the coach several sources have told Slap Shots that Lou Lamoriello intends to hire this summer, is Ken Hitchcock.

And that makes perfect sense because the Devils general manager, who in the previous six summers since the lockout hired Larry Robinson, Claude Julien, Brent Sutter, Jacques Lemaire and John MacLean, has to go for the safe pick this time, has to go for a coach who will grab every one of his players' attention and command every one of his players' respect the moment he walks in the room the first day of training camp.

Risk-taking is pretty much an alien concept when it comes to the Devils. Of all the candidates out there, Hitchcock represents the least risk of all for Lamoriello, who is all but certainly hiring his final coach in New Jersey.

hitch does make sense - i would be ok with it.

i'm not so sure that brooks has any more sources than anyone else - he can say inside sources which would be anyone that is in hockey that just says, "God, Hitchcock sure makes more sense than anyone else. Could the Devils really get anyone else?"

JMac has more than likely coached his last NHL game for a VERY long time. At least not until he tries the AHL again, and maybe some time as an assistant somewhere. But this team's turn around after he left was the final nail in the coffin and I would be surprised if he ever does coach again.

Edited by mmajeski06

hitch does make sense - i would be ok with it.

i'm not so sure that brooks has any more sources than anyone else - he can say inside sources which would be anyone that is in hockey that just says, "God, Hitchcock sure makes more sense than anyone else. Could the Devils really get anyone else?"

To be fair, he had Kovy getting a $100 million offer last offseason days before anyone else. The Post writers are ***holes when they write op-ed pieces, but Brooks and (N)Єverson do have as many sources as it's possible to have with the Devils.

JMac has more than likely coached his last NHL game for a VERY long time. At least not until he tries the AHL again, and maybe some time as an assistant somewhere. But this team's turn around after he left was the final nail in the coffin and I would be surprised if he ever does coach again.

If I were JMAC I would find a top notch coaching job at some d-1 college.

To be fair, he had Kovy getting a $100 million offer last offseason days before anyone else. The Post writers are ***holes when they write op-ed pieces, but Brooks and (N)Єverson do have as many sources as it's possible to have with the Devils.

I think people had Kovy's agent sources with the Kovy thing, not Devils sources.

Ken Hitchcock would be the perfect fit for the Devils and have wanted him since JMac has been tanking. His coaching style and philosophy would work best with this team and he knows how to deal with both rookies and veterans.

As for rookie coaches, this just is the type of team that chews and spits them out like they are nothing. Some teams can be more flexibe and can adapt to coaching and playing styles much easier, but with the Devils they are probably the least adaptable team to other coaching philosophies. I think a lot of it stems that the style of play does not start with the coach like most teams, but from the top (GM) down. The way Lou builds the team, it is in a style that he is familiar with and has won in the past so he does not stray too far away from that.

He better pick a safe choice. The devils have been the punchline of coaching changes for the past 10 years.

guys, lets just bring back Mac and see what happens, we'll just roll with it. :giggle:

This is 2011. 2011 - 10 = 2001

The year before 2001, I'd say the firing of Robbie Ftorek worked out pretty well, as Larry Robinson took over with 8 games remaining in the '99-'00 season and led his team to 2 SC Finals, winning one Cup and falling short of a second Cup by one game.

In 2003, first-year Devil coach Pat Burns took his team to the Cup.

It's not like every coaching change over the last 10 or so years has been a disaster, save for MacLean and Larry Robinson (post-strike), and there have been circumstances that caused some of the changes (Burns' sickness, Robinson stepping down, Lemaire retiring, Sutter quitting, etc). It's not like Lou has always had an itchy trigger finger.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Would not mind at all seeing Ken Hitchcock the next Devils coach. The players want a coach like Lemaire then Ken Hitchcock would be that coach for these players. I think once the WC are done Hitchcock most likely will meet with Lou and hopefully will be the next Devils coach. Mike Haviland would be my only other option/choice to coach this team.

Hitchcock gets a lot of undeserved flak from people. He is a very capable coach, and his years in DAL / PHI attest to that. As we all know, Philly was atrocious in 2007, and in no relation to Hitchcock (he got fired after 8 games). He got Columbus to their first Stanley Cup appearance, but there is only so much you can do with limited talent on the team.

With a capable roster like we have, I think a coach like Hitchcock can take us far.

I know I seem contrary wanting Lemaire and then scoffing at Hitchcock. I don't get the feeling players WANT a Lemaire type. Theywant the known commodity LEMAIRE. They understand him now.

I just think it's blah. A blah choice. It's not exciting motivating nor is it scary. It's just --- defensive hockey. Not The System. Just A system. A defensive system. I don't see him adapting as far as these guys need to. Lemaire was short term. Hitch is just. Blah an angry disciplined blob of top of average BLAH. I don't think these guys are creative enough to have it work So ha

My hope is that oats (oh no I di'int) Oates can be a creative force. But I just think he's overly polite he'll let them team fail before stepping on toes. Hitch'll probably get rid of him anyhow

Not like it's even Hitchcock yet. I'm just not a fan at this juncture.

Hitchcock gets a lot of undeserved flak from people. He is a very capable coach, and his years in DAL / PHI attest to that. As we all know, Philly was atrocious in 2007, and in no relation to Hitchcock (he got fired after 8 games). He got Columbus to their first Stanley Cup appearance, but there is only so much you can do with limited talent on the team.

With a capable roster like we have, I think a coach like Hitchcock can take us far.

Agreed. Now some of Columbus' success that year could be attributed to the fact Steve Mason played amazing, which he hasn't done since...but getting the Jackets to their first playoff appearance was quite the accomplishment.

What is a safe coaching choice ? XD

Can anyone tell me about Hitchcock and how he works with young players? (Tedenby,Napalm,Josefson,Tao,Urbom etc)

Anyone think Peter DeBoer is a good choice ?

He was the Panther's coach right? If so, he actually accomplished a lot with the roster he had, and got them to play well against top teams in the league. Goodness knows the Panthers had our number this past season. I wouldn't mind him at all. Also, I would feel more comfortable with him coaching our younger guys.