GDT - Devils @ Oilers 1/12/17

NJDfan1711

Well here we are, officially past the midpoint of the season and approaching mid-January.  6 or 7 points out of a playoff spot.  I had a lot written and was going to post a little synopsis of where I think we are at this point in the season and the Devils as a whole, but that's for another topic and not a gameday thread.  All we have is the here and now.  A win, and we start this west coast trip off right.  A loss, and it just further tarnishes what is already a poor road record, one where we're losing 2 out of every 3 games.  

We played these guys tough the other night, so we know we can hang with them.  The funny thing is, if we get a good effort and showing out of Schneider, we can be in just about any game.  And we know he's capable of it.  Really, even though our D isn't great, we just need them to not fvck up and leave Cory hanging out to dry, so we can hold opponents to 1 or 2 goals at most, and have a fighting chance.  Because we know we're not likely scoring 4+ goals, even 3 is hard enough.  But if we can do the simple things on defense and not shoot ourselves in the foot in that regard, then really we just have to raise the all important question -- can our offense find the back of the net, and if so, how many times?  Because I don't know about you guys, but basically I have gone into the last several games just wondering if we're even going to score at all.  Normally I watch games and analyze how we are playing and what's going right or wrong, but lately I am really just looking to see if this team is going to score.  Because it doens't matter if Cory gives us a stellar effort and holds the other team to 1 goal for most of the night (as we saw against Florida last game) -- if you don't score, even once, you will lose.  Every.  Damn.  Time.

I need this Powerplay to fix itself, and fast, or I'm just going to scream and give up.  It really all starts there.  And it's simple.  If you can't score 5 on 4, why the fvck would you expect to score 5 on 5?  Frankly, I don't know about you guys, or the Devils themselves, but I DON'T expect us to score 5 on 5 anymore, which goes back to how I said I am watching most of the games lately... just wondering and waiting to see if we'll score.

Anyway...Schneider in net tonight.  Don't see any major changes to the lineup. 

Let's Go Devils.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EdgeControl said:

so what do you want a defensive effort, or an offensive showing??? YOU CANT HAVE BOTH. not with this group/scheme LGDs

True.  I think what I was trying to get at is, I guess, I'd rather have a defensive effort, if I can only have one or the other.  That seems more likely give our current roster and what we have at our disposal.  Basically like I mentioned I think our D doesn't even have to do anything fancy, just pretty much not fvck up, and if Cory plays even an average or above average game, then we have a chance and will be in most games. At that point of course then it's up to our offense to see if we can notch a couple goals.  A daunting tasks, unfortunately.  

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

6 or 7 points out of a playoff spot.  

It's actually 8 points now (behind the Flyers), with a game in hand.  Doesn't sound that bad until you consider the fact that there are 6 teams between the Devils and Flyers. 

I'm just going to try to enjoy each game as a separate entity, and not worry about the playoff race (until the Devils are actually truly in it).

LGD! 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's actually 8 points now (behind the Flyers), with a game in hand.  Doesn't sound that bad until you consider the fact that there are 6 teams between the Devils and Flyers. 

I'm just going to try enjoy each game as a separate entity, and not worry about the playoff race (until the Devils are actually truly in it).

LGD! 

That's probably the smartest move to limit the frustration with some of these games to come.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm just going to try enjoy each game as a separate entity, and not worry about the playoff race (until the Devils are actually truly in it).

LGD! 

Yeah, that's why I said 6, because I always like to assume best case scenario that we win that game in hand lol, but it's also potentially 7 because Carolina has games in hand on us.  Looking at it again though, it seems Toronto is actually the team probably standing in the way -- they have even more games in hand.  It's definitely not looking good, but, it could all change, starting with tonight.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I can almost smell the two points with the additions of Coleman and Stollery and the non-sensical scratch of Zacha. Victory most certainly awaits ladies and gents. emoji19.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there seriously NO reason to scratch Zacha again?  He's not hurt?  Not sick?  He's... BENCHED?  W...T...F.  It's not like we're in the middle of the playoff hunt at the moment, but coaching decisions like these certainly don't help, and there's almost no logical reasoning behind it, so it's hard to say that you don't store something like this away for the future when you look back and say "hey, here's more evidence as to why you should be fired".  

All he's going to be doing is messing with this kid's psyche. 

I don't think Zacha has done a thing all season to earn a spot in the lineup every night. He has been good at times, and completely invisible at times. 

That being said, scratching him makes no sense for the reasons NJDfan1711 mentions. You aren't going anywhere. Your high 1st round draft pick who made the team needs to be playing as long as he isn't a total detriment to the team, which he clearly isn't. There's absolutely no reason to scratch him when he's healthy, if they were planning on that, they should have assigned him to Albany and let him get his work in there. 

But he needs to be working. 

As far as Gary Coleman and Whoever Stollery go, I know nothing about them and I hope they contribute. 

But more so, I would like to see Mr. All Star, and the two recent former 30 goal scorers contribute. Enough of this no scoring, low scoring crap. Lets get 5 tonight. 

LGD

• Like 1

Power play big problem. Last years it was the shoot outs. I had no hopes for playoffs BUT I want to see some competitive games. It is not s very good product being put out there. 

I would rather watch the young guys get their experience in. At least they would be hungry and enthused. Case in point Woods. He is entertaining.