Devils VS Flyers

Sickman

I wanted Montreal. I'm a firm believer that you want to try to get out of the first couple rounds pretty quickly and with as little physical abuse as possible. We all know how Philly plays so it's going to be a pretty tough series regardless of who wins. At least they avoided Rask though. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lead the B's to an upset over Buffalo.

I'm just glad the season is over. These last couple of months were difficult and I still think this team is capable of more to be honest. They have been pretty good these last couple of weeks though. Brodeur is in God mode and the team is doing a great job of limiting chances. Scoring could be a little better but at least there is some star power up front. The Devils have a lot going for them that they haven't in recent postseasons.

What I think it will come down to is special teams. I have a hard time seeing Philly not taking a lot of penalties this series. It's just what they do (although they were pretty disciplined against the Rags today). So in that regard the Devils must find a way to convert with the man advantage. It will probably be a very tight series at even strength and it will be crucial to take advantage while on the power play. The penalty kill has been great as of late (90% I believe over the last 50+ chances) but they must find a way to score consistently while up by a man, or two. If they don't this series will likely wind up being more of a coin toss then it really should be. We have all seen how momentum swings for this team in regards to special teams. They lost a lot of games because of it this season.

One thing that does worry me is how Philly has been able to beat up on the Devils defense and basically punish them in the defensive zone. It has led to Brodeur trying to compensate for the defense and that is why you have seen some weaker goals going in against the Flyers. He has to be able to just concentrate on playing goal. One way to correct this is to have the puck in the Flyers defensive end and neutral zone more often then not. Can't beat up the D when the puck is not in their zone.

What it boils down to for me is that I think that they are hungry and also believe that there is a lot of pride in that dressing room. This team has been on the sh!t end of the stick these last few years and I'd like to believe that they all want to correct what went wrong last year.

It's not going to be easy but I say the Devils find a way to get it done. Probably 6 games. There is just too much going for them. This could be the last real chance for some of the older guys and when you combine the hunger, experience and advantage in goal, I gotta believe they will find a way. Regular season series be damned, this is the Devils series to lose imo. First two games are key though. I think the Devils have to get to Philly up 2 - 0 to have a really strong opportunity to advance.

Edited by Sickman

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that worries me is the confidence the flyers are sure to have entering the playoffs off a dramatic win against the rangers and beating us 5 out of 6 times during the regular season. Like you mentioned Brodeur has played great, and he needs to continue that in the playoffs. Devils need to get this series over with in as little games as possible because it will take a physical toll on our players if it goes to 7. We can definitely beat this team, and I believe we will. Go devils!

head says flyers in 6.

heart says devils in 7.

its easy to forget just how much talent philly has. their top 6 are arguable better than the devils and their defense can also be very good. they play the devils very well and constantly pressure them. i'm fine dressing leblond for game one over pandolfo but he's gotta play 4th line minutes. as much as i despise rolston, he's gotta see 3rd line minutes. the devils cannot let boucher beat them and that is a fear i have.

it sounds easy to say, but concentrate on limiting flyers chances and shoot just about every chance you get. the devils should practice the power play, but do it 5 on 5. get used to pressure because that's exactly how the flyers will play them.

i just don't think this is a good match up for the devils. i see unsung guys like giroux and van Reimsdyk having good series.

whatever the outcome, i expect an agonizing series which i really would've preferred the devils not have in round one.

head says flyers in 6.

heart says devils in 7.

its easy to forget just how much talent philly has. their top 6 are arguable better than the devils and their defense can also be very good. they play the devils very well and constantly pressure them. i'm fine dressing leblond for game one over pandolfo but he's gotta play 4th line minutes. as much as i despise rolston, he's gotta see 3rd line minutes. the devils cannot let boucher beat them and that is a fear i have.

it sounds easy to say, but concentrate on limiting flyers chances and shoot just about every chance you get. the devils should practice the power play, but do it 5 on 5. get used to pressure because that's exactly how the flyers will play them.

i just don't think this is a good match up for the devils. i see unsung guys like giroux and van Reimsdyk having good series.

whatever the outcome, i expect an agonizing series which i really would've preferred the devils not have in round one.

Philly is a good team with a sh!tty goalie and self-confidence issues. this could be their Cup Final. definately the matchup you don't want in a first round series. you want a punching bag. our D is going to get pounded... hard. if they get on us, and we don't dump our goofy stretch pass system, it will be exceedingly hard to win

I really can't take another nightmare again. Just win this damn series. I do however feel like this team just needs to win a round and then you never know what could happen.

Forget the Regular season, The playoffs go up 10 notches and this is going to come down to which team can control their emotions and which Goaltender can play on his head, I think the Devils have the edge, but the playoffs are another season...Go Devils! IMO Devils in 5 if Marty keeps his play up, Devils need to get under Boucher's skin he is only a average goaltender.

Go Devils

fvck the Flyers.

It's all I've been saying since about 7 o'clock. Few people wanted this series, and while I said I wasn't going to hope for one opponent over another, of course I would have preferred to avoid Philly.

But fvck 'em.

We can beat them. We're the second seed, they're the seventh. There's a reason for that. The Devils have allowed exactly seven goals in the seven games since we last played Philly.

It's a winnable series. fvck the Flyers.

head says flyers in 6.

heart says devils in 7.

I beg to differ, how is Philly's top 6 better than the Devils? Parise, Elias, Kovalchuk, Langs, Zajac, who Zubie?? Richards is a good player, Carter is a good player, then who? an often injured past his prime Gagne? Briere? Hartnell?? Kovalchuck is better than any Flyer Forward, Parise is betrter than any Flyer Forward yes even Carter (who plays absolutely NO DEFENSE) Langs is better than Hatnell, Elias is as good as Richards... and you think Philly is better top 6?? I will give you defensively with Pronger and Timmonen they are pretty solid, but Coburn is horrible, Parent is average,

Forwards edge Devils, Defense I will even say they are equal, Goaltending night and day Devils edge,

Devils in 5 tough games all close ones...

We are playing arguably the best hockey in the league right now. Brodeur has not looked this sharp entering a playoff series since 2003. We're getting more shots on goal than we've had all season long. We're not giving up the chances we did early on as we're giving up few goals these days. Just as importantly, the Hockey Gods have been with NJ lately. Opponents are missing open nets; hitting cross bars and opposing goalies are tripped up by referees! ;)

NJ has depth on both sides of the ice. This is not your typical "limp into the playoffs" NJ hockey club we're seeing. This team, right now, I'd put up against any team in hockey. Devils in 5, and that includes a Game 1 route to the tune of 6-1 to set the tone (think Dallas in 2000).

And this is for Boucher. Just a taste of what happens when you play NJ in the playoffs:

This is going to be a tough one. A real tough one.

Where we complain about certain line changing all season, may help a little bit in this series.

SInce Pronger often gets matched against Zach, I think we need to have Zubrus play along side Parise/Zajac in order to try and nullify that...it's going to be hard though.

Parise-Zajac-ZZZ

Kovy-Elias-Jamie

Clarkson-Niedermayer-Rolston

Leblond-McAmmond-Pelley

I just hope that Lemaire is done with his line juggling. He has played almost every combination of players possible on all 4 lines, and by now he should have a pretty good idea of who works well with who. Pick the lines, and stick with them. If he starts playing musical chairs in the playoffs, I'll be very pissed.

Obviously its not going to be an easy series, but if we are going to make a cup run we are going to have to beat good teams. This is a good start. Its going to be a war, and the boys need to get their minds in a war-like mentality. Its going to be mean, physical, nasty, you could go on for days with those adjectives....

I will take Marty over Boucher any day of the week, obviously so right there we have a major edge. We havent had this big of a goaltending edge in a playoff series in 07. Everybody is saying how the PP is going to need to step up and that is very true. Philly is going to take penalties and we need to bury our chances.

I think Elias is going to be the X factor. Lots of career success against Philly and that is going to need to continue.

Devils in 6.

:cheers: Here's to a fun spring....

i don't like that the flyers are a good team at even strength, but so too is boston, so i'm not going to be that upset there - boston just turned out to be the worst shooting team at even strength this year.

boucher is a .900 SV% goalie for his career. if he plays at that level, the flyers are in serious, serious trouble in this series. if he plays at a .920 level, the flyers will have won the series. as simple as that.

I really would have preferred ANYONE else in the first round.... hopefully Boucher doesn't turn into another CAR Weekes on us.

They are strong and fast and our "D" has struggled with them.

I refuse to pick against the Devils. Devils in 6, because Brodeur is very, very good and we find enough offense to win.

Funny, I see us winning this series on offense, not defense. I hope that works. Kinda wish they finished saw Philly win and finished third.