Devils Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

Lou's mission this deadline is to get rid of Ryder and bring something back for Jagr. If he does that, I don't care who else he keeps, trades.

I don't think Bernier garners anything and I don't think he is worth trading.  The Devils have literally 0 signed at RW organizationally next year - he's a perfectly fine 4th line guy - keep him.

Agreed. Just keep him around. His max value comes playing for us in the right role.

Marty and his lack of save percentage pushed himself out the door. Garrioch's article is ridiculous. Phaenuf? Really why? Kessell I can see Lou making a play for, but we don't have the assets for him anyway.

Phaneuf makes no sense but I'd take Kessel in a second, depending of course on what we had to give.

Lou's mission this deadline is to get rid of Ryder and bring something back for Jagr. If he does that, I don't care who else he keeps, trades.

Agreed. Just keep him around. His max value comes playing for us in the right role.

I like Bernier as a 4th liner, and he is very inexpensive.

There was a thread I made for this that tailed off about two weeks ago, but has 2-3 pages of posts about earlier rumors/trades. Maybe a mod could merge these?

I want Bernier to stay. If we're trading Jagr, we're gonna need guys who can play RW and Bernier is someone who plays a role similar to what Zubrus has in the past where he can slot onto any line and not look too out of place. After a rough time last year, he's played great this season. Perfect bottom 6 RW.

If someone will offer up a 3rd rd pick for Gomez, take it and try to sign him again in the offseason. With the draft being heralded as a one of the best in years, I really see this is as a huge chance for the team to restock the prospect pool with forwards.

To me its more like.... getting over the fact that the top PK in the league got scored 3 times within 5 minutes on the PK

IIRC the PK came crashing back to Earth in the playoffs that year. It wasn't nearly as impenetrable as it had been all year in the regular season.

Edited by ATLL765

There was a thread I made for this that tailed off about two weeks ago, but has 2-3 pages of posts about earlier rumors/trades. Maybe a mod could merge these?

I want Bernier to stay. If we're trading Jagr, we're gonna need guys who can play RW and Bernier is someone who plays a role similar to what Zubrus has in the past where he can slot onto any line and not look too out of place. After a rough time last year, he's played great this season. Perfect bottom 6 RW.

If someone will offer up a 3rd rd pick for Gomez, take it and try to sign him again in the offseason. With the draft being heralded as a one of the best in years, I really see this is as a huge chance for the team to restock the prospect pool with forwards.

After the first six or seven picks, this draft doesn't look so great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the first six or seven picks, this draft doesn't look so great.

This isn't true.  Drafts don't ever look great all the way down but there's players who would be thought of as top 5 picks in other years who aren't because of the huge collection of talent.

This isn't true.  Drafts don't ever look great all the way down but there's players who would be thought of as top 5 picks in other years who aren't because of the huge collection of talent.

Like whom?  It appears to be a very top heavy draft where there are two generational talents -- McDavid, Eichel -- and another player that would be number 1 overall in an average draft year -- Hannifin.  A lot of people are very high on Marner and Strome.  After that though, there's nothing to suggest that this year is particularly special, and certainly not close to the hype that 2013 got.

Otherwise a quick perusal of draft eligible players reveals that very few of them are above a point per game at the CHL level, and you really only have Marner, McDavid and Strome tearing it up points wise.  Even last year, which no one ever compared to 2003, had a lot more of those players, or so it seems.  Obviously, points at the junior level is at best a very rough indicator of NHL success, but that's the best us laymen have to go on.

I'm not saying that there won't be any good players after the top five or ten, or that you there aren't any great ones that will end up in the second round or beyond.  It's just that I have not read anything that suggests this year is particularly deep relative to other years, and the superficial numbers don't suggest that's the case either.    And if we're playing armchair GM, we shouldn't plan as if a late first rounder and second rounders are going to be Cory Perry or Bergeron. 

Regarding Ryder, do any of you think we would get any sort of value for him if we trade him at the deadline?  I know there are teams who would see his 2 seasons here as a sign that he is done, but wouldn't a contender take a chance on him, especially if their plans A-D fall through in terms of obtaining final pieces at the deadline?  I think there are a few teams who will look to his seasons in Dallas (which weren't too long ago) and think it is worth a shot and trade a mid-round pick for him.

My gut tells me we will see Ryder till the end of the season (especially since he is being scratched), but at this point I would take anything for him.

Like whom?  It appears to be a very top heavy draft where there are two generational talents -- McDavid, Eichel -- and another player that would be number 1 overall in an average draft year -- Hannifin.  A lot of people are very high on Marner and Strome.  After that though, there's nothing to suggest that this year is particularly special, and certainly not close to the hype that 2013 got.

Otherwise a quick perusal of draft eligible players reveals that very few of them are above a point per game at the CHL level, and you really only have Marner, McDavid and Strome tearing it up points wise.  Even last year, which no one ever compared to 2003, had a lot more of those players, or so it seems.  Obviously, points at the junior level is at best a very rough indicator of NHL success, but that's the best us laymen have to go on.

I'm not saying that there won't be any good players after the top five or ten, or that you there aren't any great ones that will end up in the second round or beyond.  It's just that I have not read anything that suggests this year is particularly deep relative to other years, and the superficial numbers don't suggest that's the case either.    And if we're playing armchair GM, we shouldn't plan as if a late first rounder and second rounders are going to be Cory Perry or Bergeron. 

Zacha?

Zacha?

I am not a scout, so I don't know if he's the second coming of Jagr or Olesz. (While we're talking about top ten Czech picks). I don't see anyone say he'll be an elite player and he is not scoring at above a point a game, the last time I checked, which is generally something you look for in a top ten pick that's a forward.

I'm trying not to tear my hair out here.  No one is ever counting on players like Bergeron or Corey Perry being available late in the 1st round.  You never expect that kind of performance from someone drafted there, but it will happen sometimes, and this is the kind of year where it's more likely to happen.  You've got Svechinkov, Barzal, Bracco, Sprong, Chlapik, Salituro, and so on - these are guys putting up point per game numbers as 18 year olds.  The reason you're not hearing the hype for them is that in 2013 there weren't McDavid or Eichel level talents available.

I am not a scout, so I don't know if he's the second coming of Jagr or Olesz. (While we're talking about top ten Czech picks). I don't see anyone say he'll be an elite player and he is not scoring at above a point a game, the last time I checked, which is generally something you look for in a top ten pick that's a forward.

I think scouts are high on both Zacha and Crouse due to their NHL size even though they're not exactly tearing it up point wise. Both of them have a good chance of being drafted in the top 10.

I think scouts are high on both Zacha and Crouse due to their NHL size even though they're not exactly tearing it up point wise. Both of them have a good chance of being drafted in the top 10.

It's a double edged sword in that you'd hope bigger players would put up better offensive numbers against smaller players. (I've actually heard that some prospects will almost intentionally look weak at the combine to show that they'll be even better when they bulk up.). Enough of the talking heads notice it's an issue with Crouse that there are differences of opinion as to how good he actually is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone think we could still trade Gelinas for a RW? Mike Santorelli might be someone Toronto is willing to trade since he's a UFA this summer. He's also played some center before too, so he could be someone who could play on the 2nd or 3rd line depending on whether we need him at RW or center. He's played very well for Toronto this year, so I feel like if he's not traded, they will try to re-sign him. Anyone think it'd be worth it to trade Gelinas for the chance that we could re-sign him for at a reasonable price? Or will he try to capitalize on the stupidity of GMs out there since he's scoring at just over a .5ppg rate and could possibly get a lucrative, longer term deal on the open market?

I say this because it's clear Gelinas is in the doghouse with this coaching staff and his value, if he has any left, is plummeting. So without him getting back into the lineup and producing at a high rate, I'm not sure he could bring back a younger forward than someone like Santorelli, who will turn 30 midway through next season.

I mentioned an article in another thread that hypothesized that Semin's issues may not be all his fault and that he could bounce back. If we acquire him in a trade where Carolina retains salary and/or takes a bad contract like Zubrus, trading or signing someone like Santorelli and hit a home run with our 1st pick in the draft with Strome or Marner where they can step right into the NHL and make an impact, I really think the team could be a competitive group next season. This possibly could be done without mortgaging the future by trading any draft picks as well, so even if it turns out that Semin really is terrible, there's only 3 years left on his deal and it probably wouldn't kill our ability to continue improving the team.

Edited by ATLL765

Back to Bernier, I for some reason have always believed he'll become the player he was supposed to be coming in to the league. It was a long time ago, but it's not as if he never produced at the NHL level. Otherwise, like everyone else has said, he probably has little value on the trade market, and is a serviceable bottom 6 guy

Edited by thecoffeecake

Back to Bernier, I for some reason have always believed he'll become the player he was supposed to be coming in to the league. It was a long time ago, but it's not as if he never produced at the NHL level. Otherwise, like everyone else has said, he probably has little value on the trade market, and is a serviceable bottom 6 guy

I've always liked the guy (although his penalty in 2012 soured me a bit) but I doubt he suddenly becomes a real talent at the age of 30.

Problem I have with Bernier - if the staff played him as a bottom-6 guy I wouldn't have an issue.  But the staff with feed him PP time, probably bump him up to the second line if someone's struggling.  Much like they have with Zubrus.

I guess there's no saying they wouldn't do it with Bernier's replacement, though..

Anyone think we could still trade Gelinas for a RW? Mike Santorelli might be someone Toronto is willing to trade since he's a UFA this summer. He's also played some center before too, so he could be someone who could play on the 2nd or 3rd line depending on whether we need him at RW or center. He's played very well for Toronto this year, so I feel like if he's not traded, they will try to re-sign him. Anyone think it'd be worth it to trade Gelinas for the chance that we could re-sign him for at a reasonable price? Or will he try to capitalize on the stupidity of GMs out there since he's scoring at just over a .5ppg rate and could possibly get a lucrative, longer term deal on the open market?

I say this because it's clear Gelinas is in the doghouse with this coaching staff and his value, if he has any left, is plummeting. So without him getting back into the lineup and producing at a high rate, I'm not sure he could bring back a younger forward than someone like Santorelli, who will turn 30 midway through next season.

I mentioned an article in another thread that hypothesized that Semin's issues may not be all his fault and that he could bounce back. If we acquire him in a trade where Carolina retains salary and/or takes a bad contract like Zubrus, trading or signing someone like Santorelli and hit a home run with our 1st pick in the draft with Strome or Marner where they can step right into the NHL and make an impact, I really think the team could be a competitive group next season. This possibly could be done without mortgaging the future by trading any draft picks as well, so even if it turns out that Semin really is terrible, there's only 3 years left on his deal and it probably wouldn't kill our ability to continue improving the team.

Only problem with this is if Semin craps out as expected, w'ere saddled w/ 7 mil per year for a one trick pony (always hurt) not physical at all.  Sanerelli might be interesting. PDB had him in Fla.

I wonder if/when Lou will pull the plug on the season after realizing we're not making the playoffs. I would hate to see us blow an opportunity to move what lil assets we have and of course if they're willing to go (Jags/Zids/) and if anyone has interest in Ryder. If there is still a shred of "possibility" of even remotely making the playoffs, Lou may do nothing.

Well I hope LL does the smart thing and moves everythign he can within reason, INHO this list includes:

Jagr, Zid, Havat, Ryder, Bernier, Zubrus, Rutuu , Tootoo and I'm good with Zajac as well for the right price.

My trust in LL really will hinge on what he does with this team over the next 9 months, he has a cahnce to make a splash with trades and really make this team younger...