GDT: New Jersey @ Calgary - 1/10/12

NJCroMag

The only thing I'd like to see is DeBoer be a little more consistent if he's going to take this tact with Marty...he can get yanked when he's down to 2-0 in the first period, but play the entire 60 minutes in a 6-1 loss to Boston and a 6-1 loss to Colorado?

I agree with this. I dont understand it either. I think that DeBoer just saw something last night that made him feel the team could come back and win it. As soon as I saw the second goal go in, I knew that Marty was done for the night. The goaltending status needs to be more consistent though. I am all for starting the goaltender who sat the game before (Unless reasons such as injuries, illness, hotness and so on)

My take on it has nothing to do with Moose's performance...like I said, I understood why DeBoer did it...he was being proactive. I personally would've given Marty one last chance (if he had given up a 3rd goal in that first period, I would've taken him out, even if it wasn't his fault, just to try to get the team going).

Yeah. Down 2-0 doesn't normally strike me as a pull the goaltender situation, even the way he allowed them, but I guess PDB was trying to be bold.

What? Brodeur was horrendous last night. He was not horrendous in either of these games - he let up one stoppable goal in each, maybe 2, but he wasn't really the reason the team lost either of those games. DeBoer says he's doing it to fire up the team, and that's part of it, but part of it is also that the goalie just did not have it.

My point regarding the 6-1 losses is why leave him in there to be shellacked, especially if you're going to be quick to hook him in games like last night's? Whether or not he was horrendous in those games isn't the issue. We all know how old he is and his mileage...why not take take him out of the Boston and Colorado games after the fourth or fifth goal, get him a little rest? Is getting Hedberg a little playing time in games like that a bad thing?

Had Marty been left in, it probably wouldn't have made much difference...there's a good chance Colorado would've scored a third goal against him in that first period anyway...I just thought he could've been given another chance to try to salvage his game.

If you ever so dare to question Martin Brodeur you are letting the terrorists win.

Seriously though, Marty has no right opening his mouth with the horrendous numbers he has posted this season, and the even worse opening goals he surrendered last night. He's lucky DeBoer has even undeservedly started him as many games as he has.

Also, anyone else notice that last min cheap hit on Parise? Hope theres no 'C-word' we hear about down the line from that

Edited by devlman

If you ever so dare to question Martin Brodeur you are letting the terrorists win.

Seriously though, Marty has no right opening his mouth with the horrendous numbers he has posted this season, and the even worse opening goals he surrendered last night. He's lucky DeBoer has even undeservedly started him as many games as he has.

Martys career is quickly coming to its end, and its not gonna be a pretty thing to watch (or hear), he was the best, and I'm sure in his mind he thinks he still has what it takes....but the stats show otherwise. I just hope it doesnt get so ugly like when P. Roy left Montreal, it was an ugly way to end his career (with them). Marty deserves a respectable finish to his time with the Devils, but if he's costing us wins....well it might get ugly for him,the team, and us the fans.

Brodeur let in 2 easy goals on 5 shots, and didn't look comfortable at all. He deserved to be pulled. It just turned out that Moose was no better last night. It was one of those games where everything went wrong early, and they put themselves in too big of a hole to climb out. Problem is, after last season, everyone has the feeling of impending dread after each loss and starts thinking "is this the beginning of the decline towards last year's first half." The media feeds into it, the players have to answer questions about it, and the fans loose their minds on message boards because they played 1 1/2 bad periods.

I think people are past 'that' now, my fear is just missing the playoffs again, having Zach leave because we're going backwards and then living up to the Kovy haters doomsday predictions by becoming the Thrashers.

I think people are past 'that' now, my fear is just missing the playoffs again, having Zach leave because we're going backwards and then living up to the Kovy haters doomsday predictions by becoming the Thrashers.

The reason why that won't happen is because of the Devils' defense, which is miles ahead of where the Thrashers ever were or ever dreamed of being. If Zach wants to leave because of the team going 'backwards' that's on him.

Edited by Triumph

There was one big difference on the ice last night, Zach knows that. the correction isn't complex, it aint easy, but its not a 5 to 10 step process. Find the best available goalie and sign him......... OH, and get foster off the ice :doh1:

Side: Does anyone have the Russian Junior or Swedish Junior roster showing if any of them got drafted and by who?

Russian Junior Roster Drafted Players (Year/Round/Overall/WJC Stats)

Yevgeni Kuznetsov RW/C 2010 1/26 Washington Capitals 7 GP 6-7-13

Nikita Kucherov RW 2011 2/58 Tampa Bay Lightning 7 GP 2-5-7

Alexander Khokhlachev C/W 2011 2/40 Boston Bruins 7 GP 4-1-5

Nikita Nesterov D 2011 5/148 Tampa Bay Lightning 7 GP 2-3-5

Yaroslav Kosov RW 2011 5/124 Florida Panthers 7 GP 2-2-4

Ivan Telegin W/C 2010 4/101 Atlanta Thrashers 6 GP 1-1-2

Swedish Junior Roster Drafted Players (Year/Round/Overall/WJC Stats)

Max Friberg LW/RW 2011 5/143 Anaheim Ducks 6 GP 9-2-11

Ludvig Rensfeldt LW/RW 2010 2/35 Chicago Blackhawks 6 GP 1-5-6

Johan Larsson C 2010 2/56 Minnesota Wild 6 GP 0-6-6

Mika Zibanejad C/RW 2011 1/6 Ottawa Senators 6 GP 4-1-5

Joakim Nordstrom C 2010 3/90 Chicago Blackhawks 6 GP 4-1-5

Rickard Rackell C/RW 2011 1/30 Anaheim Ducks 6 GP 2-3-5

Johan Sundstrom C/RW 2011 2/50 New York Islanders 6 GP 1-4-5

Patrik Nemeth D 2010 2/41 Dallas Stars 6 GP 0-5-5

Jonas Brodin D 2011 1/10 Minnesota Wild 6 GP 0-4-4

Mattias Backman D 2011 5/146 Detroit Red Wings 6 GP 0-3-3

John Klingberg D 2010 5/131 Dallas Stars 6 GP 0-3-3

William Karlsson C 2011 2/53 Anaheim Ducks 6 GP 1-1-2

Oscar Klefbom D 2011 1/19 Edmonton Oilers 6 GP 1-1-2

Petter Granberg D 2010 4/116 Toronto Maple Leafs 5 GP 0-1-1

Victor Rask C 2011 2/42 Carolina Hurricanes 6 GP 0-1-1

Fredrik Claesson D 2011 5/126 Ottawa Senators 6 GP 0-0-0

Anton Forsberg G 2011 7/188 Columbus Blue Jackets 2 GP 0.99 GAA .933 SV%

Johan Gustafsson G 2010 6/159 Minnesota Wild 5 GP 2.20 GAA .888 SV%

Martys career is quickly coming to its end, and its not gonna be a pretty thing to watch (or hear), he was the best, and I'm sure in his mind he thinks he still has what it takes....but the stats show otherwise. I just hope it doesnt get so ugly like when P. Roy left Montreal, it was an ugly way to end his career (with them). Marty deserves a respectable finish to his time with the Devils, but if he's costing us wins....well it might get ugly for him,the team, and us the fans.

The big difference though is that Roy was in his prime coming off of a Cup win. Marty is at the end of the line and he knows it. He said himself he won't need anyone to tell him when it's over. Assuming he doesn't pull himself out of this (it took until around this time last year), this will be the only poor season out of 17 or 18 seasons.

I wonder if he's already made his decision, and possibly the emotion of knowing he's 4 months away from being done is weighing on him. Just an idea. Even if he doesn't plan on retiring, he has to know a lockout would be the end for him.

The big difference though is that Roy was in his prime coming off of a Cup win. Marty is at the end of the line and he knows it. He said himself he won't need anyone to tell him when it's over. Assuming he doesn't pull himself out of this (it took until around this time last year), this will be the only poor season out of 17 or 18 seasons.

I wonder if he's already made his decision, and possibly the emotion of knowing he's 4 months away from being done is weighing on him. Just an idea. Even if he doesn't plan on retiring, he has to know a lockout would be the end for him.

this part..about him knowing times almost up, it's like when Dano was scratched by Burns in the '03 finals....its a bitter pill to swallow, and any athlete with a storied past, and pride wont go down without a fight.

Who said we're doomed? However, when one tries to rank goaltending based on GAA you start to question their understanding for the game.

This from the guy who thinks... you know what, nevermind.

:rolleyes:

It's funny how much difference perspective makes sometimes.

Don't ask questions. Refrain from glancing behind or engage any sort of deep analysis. Just count the abundance of your blessings and move on under the cover of darkness.

You're outshot 38-14 over the full 60 minutes. Tattooed 32-6 over a wildly lopsided closing 40.

And you somehow . . . WIN?! By a trey?!

Say three Hail Marys and drop an extra fiver in the collection plate at church on Sunday. This 6-3 victory for the Calgary Flames over New Jersey is certainly one for Mr. Ripley.

We're all collectively freaking out, and Calgarians (right?) are breathing a sigh of relief.

lol

It's funny how much difference perspective makes sometimes.

We're all collectively freaking out, and Calgarians (right?) are breathing a sigh of relief.

lol

As ordinary as the Devils' goaltenders have been for much of the season, the Devils have been able to overcome that, more often than not, and it's not like they've been the only ones to blame (short-handed breakways). But last night was definitely an exception.

Russian Junior Roster Drafted Players (Year/Round/Overall/WJC Stats)

Yevgeni Kuznetsov RW/C 2010 1/26 Washington Capitals 7 GP 6-7-13

Nikita Kucherov RW 2011 2/58 Tampa Bay Lightning 7 GP 2-5-7

Alexander Khokhlachev C/W 2011 2/40 Boston Bruins 7 GP 4-1-5

Nikita Nesterov D 2011 5/148 Tampa Bay Lightning 7 GP 2-3-5

Yaroslav Kosov RW 2011 5/124 Florida Panthers 7 GP 2-2-4

Ivan Telegin W/C 2010 4/101 Atlanta Thrashers 6 GP 1-1-2

Swedish Junior Roster Drafted Players (Year/Round/Overall/WJC Stats)

Max Friberg LW/RW 2011 5/143 Anaheim Ducks 6 GP 9-2-11

Ludvig Rensfeldt LW/RW 2010 2/35 Chicago Blackhawks 6 GP 1-5-6

Johan Larsson C 2010 2/56 Minnesota Wild 6 GP 0-6-6

Mika Zibanejad C/RW 2011 1/6 Ottawa Senators 6 GP 4-1-5

Joakim Nordstrom C 2010 3/90 Chicago Blackhawks 6 GP 4-1-5

Rickard Rackell C/RW 2011 1/30 Anaheim Ducks 6 GP 2-3-5

Johan Sundstrom C/RW 2011 2/50 New York Islanders 6 GP 1-4-5

Patrik Nemeth D 2010 2/41 Dallas Stars 6 GP 0-5-5

Jonas Brodin D 2011 1/10 Minnesota Wild 6 GP 0-4-4

Mattias Backman D 2011 5/146 Detroit Red Wings 6 GP 0-3-3

John Klingberg D 2010 5/131 Dallas Stars 6 GP 0-3-3

William Karlsson C 2011 2/53 Anaheim Ducks 6 GP 1-1-2

Oscar Klefbom D 2011 1/19 Edmonton Oilers 6 GP 1-1-2

Petter Granberg D 2010 4/116 Toronto Maple Leafs 5 GP 0-1-1

Victor Rask C 2011 2/42 Carolina Hurricanes 6 GP 0-1-1

Fredrik Claesson D 2011 5/126 Ottawa Senators 6 GP 0-0-0

Anton Forsberg G 2011 7/188 Columbus Blue Jackets 2 GP 0.99 GAA .933 SV%

Johan Gustafsson G 2010 6/159 Minnesota Wild 5 GP 2.20 GAA .888 SV%

Damn those Swedes got snatched up.

So, who is in net tonight versus the Oilers? Marty or Moose? (Marty Moose!) Personally, I was hoping to see Moose get the nod. But if it is Marty, I will understand it, but if he lets in some softies again I hope DeBoer keeps him in -- seing as how Marty thought he should've been left in last night.

Edited by 95Crash