2014-2015 Around the league thread

MadDog2020

It is indeed a hockey problem. No one but Evander Kane, PK Subban, and now Duclair seem to get labeled as "full of themselves". It's not too far from the whole "enigmatic Russian" thing either. I'm curious how Patrick Kane or Sidney Crosby would be viewed if they were black.

Patrick Kane is kind of viewed that way, although I would wonder more whether a black player would have gotten off as easy as Kane did had he been involved in the altercation with the cab driver like Kane was.  There was a report of Evander Kane doing the dine and dash.  While I don't know whether it turned out to be true, no one really talks about it anymore, and I bet a lot of teams were kind of hoping it was true so it would reduce his trade value.

Crosby has a reputation among the fans anyway of being a crybaby, and kind of a douche.  That's probably more out of jealousy than anything else though.

I'm pretty confident Sean Avery didn't get half of the criticism he would've gotten if he was Russian or some kind of minority. Media referred to him as a "bad boy", like some sort of cutesy attractive trait. The fans knew he was a douchebag but you never saw a TSN or RDS feature about him being a cancer to the locker room or making a mockery of the game; or anything along the lines of the colorful (pun intended) language they use for guys like Subban or Kane. I can't even believe he didn't get more NY Post headlines considering some of his actions.

And trust me, I'm not a super liberal "white-guilt" dude on issues like this usually, but the very subtle racial tensions within the NHL, or at least NHL-covering media, especially in Canada, is a real thing.

Also, some of the language from fans (Boston, New York, specifically) you saw last playoffs directed toward Wayne Simmonds, PK Subban, or Joel Ward 2 years ago, is pretty telling. I get it, it's a predominantly white sport, but it shouldn't really be tolerated because of that.

Here's an insane (and real) example from the Vancouver sun very recently lol...

73e729f0-43f7-11e4-8932-5525d28e46b1_ByR

Err, Avery was universally despised by the entire league, and wasn't thought of as just a "bad boy" which conjures up images of James Dean.  I suppose you could do the hypothetical of whether he would have gotten it worse if he were black, but it's really hard to get much lower than the sewer that was Avery.  Ranger fans liked him because he got on Marty's nerves.  The closest black player I can think of is Simmons, who does play a chippy style, but is not hated in the same way that Avery was. 

Otherwise, there are a lot of people on twitter.  It's not hard to find racist tweets if that's what you're looking for.  I would venture a guess that Geno Smith is getting a few of them right now. 

I'm more interested in whether what SD is saying about Duclair is actually true?  I honestly have no idea about him, and actually had no idea he was black until Tri mentioned it.  But it's hard not to call Subban cocky -- he's earned it, and the Canadians have shown how racist they are by making him one of the top paid defensemen in the league.  Winnipeg obviously showed that they were closet klansmen by taking Kane with the fourth pick in the draft (as well as those racist scouts that had him ranked that high), and they continue to insist they are keeping him despite the fact that his point production has been a bit underwhelming in the past couple of years, and the fact that he favorited a tweet that said he would be a good fit on another team.  I would imagine the board here would explode if anyone on the Devils did something like that.  Those scouts also showed how racist they were when it turned out that Darnell Nurse was drafted ahead of Nichushkin (just imagine if there were an "enigmatic" Russian that was black!!). 

And I don't see why it's that unusual that DuClair slid to third round.  His point production declined from his first year in junior to his draft year.  Sometimes it happens. 

It's a media thing (mostly Canadian), I don't think anyone's insinuating that organizations are not selecting or playing, or underpaying players because of the color of their skin.

Joshua Ho Sang i guess too.. before he was even drafted lol.

Did Ho Sang not really deserve it?  He was calling himself the most talented player in the draft.  I don't even think a generational talents like Crosby or McDavid talked about themselves like that. 

"Don Cherry doesn't care about black people."

rs_560x359-140521101949-1024.mike-myers-

One of my favorite players, Wayne Simmonds doesn't get any heat either.

I wonder if the assumption is because the powers that be are overly concerned that the NHL will become full of egomaniacs like the NBA and NFL. And well, I guess they assume since both leagues are majority black then it must be a black thing.

I've read some interviews from Duclair from Andrew Gross' blog, and he doesn't seem too full of himself. Seems like a kid happy to be in the running for an NHL job at 19.

Well id tend to believe common comments made by 2 kids that i coached years ago that are now playing against him in the Q, fans around here that are following the Q very closely who see him act during games, blogs from quebec saying the same thing etc etc more than what you can take out of an interview he did himself... Which you have to be retard not to know how to speak to the media as a rookie.

Edit: with very small researches i found some other stuff, the whole rempart team got together and approach the coaches and management (patrick roy) about suspending him for indivisualism and bad attitude, duclair and erne that is, they were treating their teammates like they were over them and wouldnt want to be part of anything and would act like a$$holes to them all the time... Timmins (mtl's head scout) said he didnt like his overdose of confidence? How often do gou see something like that? He had a very very very bad reputation around the league here. Im not making things up.

This is just confirming what ive been saying

http://futureconsiderations.ca/duclair-erne-suspended-by-remparts/

Edited by SterioDesign

Well id tend to believe common comments made by 2 kids that i coached years ago that are now playing against him in the Q, fans around here that are following the Q very closely who see him act during games, blogs from quebec saying the same thing etc etc more than what you can take out of an interview he did himself... Which you have to be retard not to know how to speak to the media as a rookie.

Edit: with very small researches i found some other stuff, the whole rempart team got together and approach the coaches and management (patrick roy) about suspending him for indivisualism and bad attitude, duclair and erne that is, they were treating their teammates like they were over them and wouldnt want to be part of anything and would act like a$$holes to them all the time... Timmins (mtl's head scout) said he didnt like his overdose of confidence? How often do gou see something like that? He had a very very very bad reputation around the league here. Im not making things up.

This is just confirming what ive been saying

http://futureconsiderations.ca/duclair-erne-suspended-by-remparts/

I mean if you say he's such a bad guy, that's fine. I just don't put a ton of stock into what a kid does at 17, 18, 19. A lot of kids have issues in juniors. They are treated like superstars at a young age and they don't all handle it right. If he's going to try stuff like that in the NHL, he'll get what's coming to him from both his team mates and opposing players.

I just don't like a player not getting a chance before he's judged. It's the same reason I'm not going to look at Cammallerri as a locker room cancer walking in the door here. 

Kreider goes to the net falls and run the goalie, Price got injured and Habs fans freaked out for WEEKS, posting pictures of Kreider bumping into numerous goalies, calling him out, saying they KNOW it's intentional, begging for a suspension etc etc etc THE APOCALYPSE

Gallagher does it all. the. time... injured and ended Enroth's season last year doing it, does it again and runs Bernier last night. All he gets is praises cause he's relentless and an example of guys who never give up.

fvck this fvcking fanbase. 

edit: Actually fvck any fanbase who whines about something when it goes against their team and close their eyes and cheers when their team does it. I fvcking hate hypocrites.

Edited by SterioDesign