Devils - Sharks Trade Idea

William D'Aquila

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is literally anything we can offer that would make the sharks pass on Hertl. We could offer our next 10 first round picks and entire NHL/AHL roster and they wouldn't accept.

Well, then they'd just be stupid. Hertl is very good, but he's not a Crosby or a Stamkos.

I don't think there is literally anything we can offer that would make the sharks pass on Hertl. We could offer our next 10 first round picks and entire NHL/AHL roster and they wouldn't accept.

.. what?  Where is this coming from?  He had some sweet goals last year, but he's far from a generational talent.. 

.. what?  Where is this coming from?  He had some sweet goals last year, but he's far from a generational talent.. 

Players to score .35 goals/game in a season or more at age 20, modern era:  Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kovalchuk, R. Smyth, Toews, Malkin, Kopitar, P. Bergeron, Daze, Gaborik, E. Kane, Seguin, Tavares, Horton, Gagne, T. Hall, Crosby, Hertl, and yes, Steve Bernier.  It's a pretty impressive list, Bernier aside.

The guy had one four goal game and now all of a sudden he's the second coming of Jagr...lol

Why not make a play for Thornton? He can be had for relatively cheap given they stripped him of the captaincy and the playoff debacles.

Who will be the new Sharks GM?

More like who replaces Lou. If anything, that deal favors us.

Players to score .35 goals/game in a season or more at age 20, modern era:  Ovechkin, Stamkos, Kovalchuk, R. Smyth, Toews, Malkin, Kopitar, P. Bergeron, Daze, Gaborik, E. Kane, Seguin, Tavares, Horton, Gagne, T. Hall, Crosby, Hertl, and yes, Steve Bernier.  It's a pretty impressive list, Bernier aside.

Lol he played 37 games

Why not make a play for Thornton? He can be had for relatively cheap given they stripped him of the captaincy and the playoff debacles.

More like who replaces Lou. If anything, that deal favors us.

Lol he played 37 games

Not sure if I understand what you mean by Lou getting fired for a deal that favors the Devils.

Gelinas, Ryder, and a 3rd.. for: Jumbo Joe. :whistling:

..hey, I can dream.. can't I??

That is exactly that; a dream.  He would command a much higher price than the package you proposed. 

Thornton wouldn't be that cheap. What we will give up, wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

I agree.   Some GM will get over zealous and offer a solid roster player, a 1st round pick, and a prospect to land Thornton.

He is a beast though....

Thornton wouldn't be that cheap. What we will give up, wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

he's 35... how long of a run are you thinking? lol

If the Devils would go for a big trade i'd want them to go after a young player that would really be here for the long run. We've been literally patching hole with old vets for years now and our old vets are nearing the end and it's gonna leave an even bigger hole. We need to build a core of young guys

the problem right now is that the guys the devils might want to trade (larsson, gelinas, brunner, ryder) have very little value around the league right now. as is the case in a lot of these things, they're worth more to the devils (still not that much) than they are to other teams.

You of all people understand the significance of sample size.  37 games is hardly indicative of what he could do over a full season, I'd wager.  And remove his fluke 4-goal game and he looks a lot more..average.

I wouldn't swap Larsson for Hertl straight up at this point.  I'm obviously biased, but I still see Larsson developing into a cost-effective solid top-4 defenseman (essentially a Fayne-type with a better outlet pass).  That sucks, don't get me wrong - he was hyped to be a lot better than that.  But I'm not convinced Hertl is anything more than a flash-in-the-pan type player.  I'll be interested to see what he does this year.

I agree.   Some GM will get over zealous and offer a solid roster player, a 1st round pick, and a prospect to land Thornton.

He is a beast though....

You know what, Thornton has a couple more years at least at a ppg pace. To me, thats absolutely worth a 1st rounder+NHL player. He's also a play-making centreman - something we dont have.

You know what, Thornton has a couple more years at least at a ppg pace. To me, thats absolutely worth a 1st rounder+NHL player. He's also a play-making centreman - something we dont have.

I am not saying I wouldn't do a similar deal...

The problem is, are we really a contender?  It only makes sense for a "WIN NOW!" type of team.

With that being said, if and when we get into the playoffs....I really think we could win it all behind some stellar goaltending from Cory

I would part with a 1st, prospect, and a Gelinas or something similar to get Joe in red and black.  But that is because I am of the mentality that we CAN win it all now.

I am likely in the minority with that thinking though......but the only thing that matters is: What does Lou/ownership really believe?

If they think we can make a serious push they should consider making a deal like this.  Fun to dream.

You of all people understand the significance of sample size.  37 games is hardly indicative of what he could do over a full season, I'd wager.  And remove his fluke 4-goal game and he looks a lot more..average.

I wouldn't swap Larsson for Hertl straight up at this point.  I'm obviously biased, but I still see Larsson developing into a cost-effective solid top-4 defenseman (essentially a Fayne-type with a better outlet pass).  That sucks, don't get me wrong - he was hyped to be a lot better than that.  But I'm not convinced Hertl is anything more than a flash-in-the-pan type player.  I'll be interested to see what he does this year.

Thing is... let's vaguely imagine our roster in a few years from now... obviously god knows what could happen til then but a few of our core guys will be gone for sure

Cammalleri - Zajac - _______

Boucher - Henrique - ________

Matteau - Quenneville? - ________

Chatham? - Josefson? - __________

Greene - Severson

Gelinas - Merrill

Santini - _______

Schneider

Kinkaid

So based on that..... if you had to gamble who you would need the most in a few years..... would you pick Larsson or Hertl ? I'm certainly gambling on Hertl instead of overpaying again for a free agent and ending up with bad contracts like Clowe or Ruutu playing in our bottom 6

Edited by SterioDesign

I am not saying I wouldn't do a similar deal...

The problem is, are we really a contender? It only makes sense for a "WIN NOW!" type of team.

With that being said, if and when we get into the playoffs....I really think we could win it all behind some stellar goaltending from Cory

I would part with a 1st, prospect, and a Gelinas or something similar to get Joe in red and black. But that is because I am of the mentality that we CAN win it all now.

I am likely in the minority with that thinking though......but the only thing that matters is: What does Lou/ownership really believe?

If they think we can make a serious push they should consider making a deal like this. Fun to dream.

With a full time excellent goalie and continued possession, I'd agree that we can be a contender in the east, so I'd do that trade, too. Have to feel Lou likes this team a lot, as well.

Edited by devlman

With Dubinsky and Horton being out long term, you think we can interest CBJ with the likes of Ya Yo / Ryder / or Brunner, or do they move in to poach Gomez from our taxi squad?

Edited by Mitico12