Save us Jacques Lemaire

'7'

People are freaking out because 1. Poor personal and decisions by the coach (which is a recurring thing)  2. Our bad PK (which is also a recurring thing) 3. We blew a lead AGAIN (which is ALSO a recurring thing)

so it's totally fair to be worried about 3 things we've been worried about and which indeed bite our ass last night.

The bad PK is a recurring thing for exactly 6 games.  Last year the Devils had the best PK in the NHL and was in the top 5 the year before and the year before that set the modern NHL record for best full season PK%.

The bad PK is a recurring thing for exactly 6 games.  Last year the Devils had the best PK in the NHL and was in the top 5 the year before and the year before that set the modern NHL record for best full season PK%.

The Devils are 3-2-1, exactly one point out of first, have dared to go 0-2-1 in three games, and for some, the sky is already falling.  Biz as usual at njdevs.com. 

The game against the Rags sucked (well, some of it did), but I can't go into friggin' panic mode this early...you'd think the Devils were 0-5-1 from some of the posts.  Cory's not going to keep stopping pucks at a .898 rate.  I'm not saying this team is a lock to make the playoffs, but I fully expect them to be competitive, and I'm definitely not going to jump to any conclusions based on a 6-game sample.  Especially since the D has some youth and is still sorting itself out (if Sal keeps up the suckage, it's only a matter of time before his ice time is reduced). 

The Devils are 3-2-1, exactly one point out of first, have dared to go 0-2-1 in three games, and for some, the sky is already falling.  Biz as usual at njdevs.com. 

The game against the Rags sucked (well, some of it did), but I can't go into friggin' panic mode this early...you'd think the Devils were 0-5-1 from some of the posts.  Cory's not going to keep stopping pucks at a .898 rate.  I'm not saying this team is a lock to make the playoffs, but I fully expect them to be competitive, and I'm definitely not going to jump to any conclusions based on a 6-game sample.  Especially since the D has some youth and is still sorting itself out (if Sal keeps up the suckage, it's only a matter of time before his ice time is reduced). 

i agree with your post completely but how certain of that statement are you honestly ? i'd like to believe it but i simply can't. What makes total sense in term of roster management is often not whats happening with Deboer and we know that for a fact  

I'm in total agreement with you that it's far too early for people (myself included, at times) to be freaking out.

But you have to admit we're seeing some similar trends here.. 

Yeah, similar trends to games with Brodeur last year.  The difference is that Cory Schneider is now in net.

Yeah, similar trends to games with Brodeur last year.  The difference is that Cory Schneider is now in net.

I'm not a stats guy, but I'd be curious to know Cory's ES SV%, rather than his overall SV%.  I imagine the PK is significantly hurting his numbers.

The only real soft goal I can think of from the first six games this season was the third goal against San Jose in the home opener.

I'm not a stats guy, but I'd be curious to know Cory's ES SV%, rather than his overall SV%.  I imagine the PK is significantly hurting his numbers.

The only real soft goal I can think of from the first six games this season was the third goal against San Jose in the home opener.

His 5v5 SV% is .921 while his 4v5 SV% is .810. His 5v5 SV% over the last 3 years was .928 and his 4v5 SV% was .931.

i agree with your post completely but how certain of that statement are you honestly ? i'd like to believe it but i simply can't. What makes total sense in term of roster management is often not whats happening with Deboer and we know that for a fact  

PDB's leash is going to get shorter if the team is performing below expectations.  Of course I can't say for sure what Lou's expectations actually are, but I would say he's thinking at least 90 points and that this team can compete for a playoff berth.  If the team is not doing that (or not showing signs that they're heading in the right direction), I can't see PDB being safe.  If PDB thinks that Sal is costing him wins (and it's obvious that people are fully noticing that Sal is very much an issue), he'll have no choice but to either cut his playing time or simply scratch him.  The big problem is that there isn't a younger and better version of Sal to plug in...not that I'm saying I want to keep seeing Bryce out there (I don't...he's awful), just that it may not get much better with whoever replaces him. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

PDB's leash is going to get shorter if the team is performing below expectations.  Of course I can't say for sure what Lou's expectations actually are, but I would say he's thinking at least 90 points and that this team can compete for a playoff berth.  If the team is not doing that (or not showing signs that they're heading in the right direction), I can't see PDB being safe.  If PDB thinks that Sal is costing him wins (and it's obvious that people are fully noticing that Sal is very much an issue), he'll have no choice but to either cut his playing time or simply scratch him.  The big problem is that there isn't a younger and better version of Sal to plug in...not that I'm saying I want to keep seeing Bryce out there (I don't...he's awful), just that it may not get much better with whoever replaces him. 

The answer is quite simple and i think everyone here knew it. What "had to be done" this summer was to get rid of Salvador somehow (we KNEW he was not gonna be good, the whole world knew it) and really try to keep Fayne, to me Fayne was the PERFECT replacement for Salvador. He's certainly not the greatest but he was in his prime age and already established here. Maybe Fayne absolutely didnt want to come back here who knows.

I know it's easy to say and we already got rid of Volch which was huge but technically this is what should have been done if you want to make the best decision for long term.

Didnt happen for various reasons so we'll have to deal with it now. 

I agree that that was the ideal but it didn't happen, and the Devils are going to get another one of these guys after Salvador leaves - perhaps even before, as I could see them making a deal before the end of the season if Salvador is out for the year.  Physical D are going to be at a huge premium, and it's going to take a team winning a Cup without one of these guys to show teams that they don't need them.

What talent? They look so slow even the kids are getting out skated by Dallas's fossils.

Dallas will outskate even some of the best teams in the league.  They have a fast team.

DeBoer caused them to lose? News to me.

Well sending out Jagr during the shootout was pretty dumb.