Brendan Byrne/Continental Airlines arena closing end of Month *Confir

Satans Hockey

Saw the Globetrotters there about a year ago. Was cool to be back there strictly from a nostalgia standpoint, but man is that place beyond dated. Lots of great memories there for sure, but it's time for it to go.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I saw Judas Priest there in late 2014. It was beyond dated but in a way a small piece of my childhood returned by just being in that building. The nostolgia factor went through the roof.Seeing the hockey boards tucked away just made me think of long ago.

But then I remember that the place had no bannister on the lower level and it was easy to slip and fall to an impending doom. So, thank God we don't have to deal with that anymore.

It would be awesome if Red Bull Arena got the event. They definitely could fill the building for it.

when they announced the NY/NJ (or as I like to call it NJ) location I figured the Red Bull Arena made the most sense. Its an outdoor stadium but it isn't Metlife where you have to sell 50-60k to make it work so its unique with more seats.

Wonder if they'll let us buy seats when they do demo the arena. Like they did with Yankee Stadium.

Id love to have a piece of the CAA in my mancave.

Highly doubt it. This is not a team like the Yankees with fans who will buy any piece of crap with the word "Yankees" on it and I don't think someone like Steiner will even bother with it.

An example is that when the Devils moved from CAA, Meigray won the rights to market and sell the locker room stalls out of the arena. They were able to get most of them out (some were not salvageable because of the way they were built) but they had them starting at about $1-2K for scrub players and going up for bigger name players. To this day if you go to the Meigray warehouse in Beanchburg you will still see a bunch of them still sitting there almost 8 years later. Hell Meigray even stopped marketing them on their website long ago and now they have them laying around at their warehouse.

I seriously doubt any sports memoribilia dealer would want to take a chance at selling 19,040 seats that wouldn't exactly move that quickly (even steiner still has tons of the Yankees seats). They should do with what philly did with the spectrum and just have a day or two where people can come in and just take what they want. Saves on diaposal costs for they NJSEA.

It's really not a dump...I've seen some concerts there since the Devils left and it's a solid venue to hear live music. But it's just drab, cavernous, boring. Still better than the Coliseum by a wide margin

Edited by '7'

It's really not a dump...I've seen some concerts there since the Devils left and it's a solid venue to hear live music. But it's just drab, cavernous, boring. Still better than the Coliseum by a wide margin

It's just too big and costly to maintain and operate for a State that constantly runs a budget deficit and doesn't even fund its pension system.   Plus it's in a horrible location, smack in the middle of the worst monstrosity of a mall (if it ever opens) in the country.  The few concerts, ice shows, and Monster Truck Extravaganza's they host in that place don't generate nearly enough revenue to keep it open. 

Plus, there really isn't a need for 2 major indoor arenas in northern NJ and it just cannibalizes shows from the Rock.  It's funny watching all of these Bergen County politicians go nuts over this decision with their typical BS about how much that arena means to the fabric of the community when the reality is the building is dark most nights and just loses tons of money for the state each year.   

i aree its a huge upgrade over the coliseum but iwas there for a country concert a couple years ago and remember thinking how old and dated the inside of that building was..i still wish they wouldve just renovated that place instead of moving us to newark but what can ya do.

Funny...this thread made me flash back to my very first time I walked up to and then went inside Brendan Byrne Arena...I don't remember the exact date, but I know it was in 1981 (I was eleven).  We went to see the Nets (the Devils were still the Rockies at that point and were playing their final season in Colorado).  My dad sometimes took me and brother to Nets games when they were playing in the Rutgers Athletic Center (waiting for BBA to be completed), so he thought it would be fun to check out the new building...can't say I ever became a huge basketball fan (I don't follow basketball at all now), but it was always fun to just get out...when you're a kid, an event's an event.

Anyway, though my 11-year-old eyes, going to BBA that first time was kind of mind-blowing.  It just looked so clean and new...and felt so BIG!  I was too young to realize that some of its design elements were not good (especially having everyone spill out onto one concourse)...at that age, I just saw this huge, white, brand-new new building that felt very state-of-the-art and awesome in every way.  Hard to believe that was over 33 years ago.  Even though it's clearly a dated facility that can't hold a candle to modern ones like the Rock, I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's amazing that buildings like these have such short life spans.  Starting next season the only arenas in the NHL that are older than 30 years are MSG, the one in Edmonton and Joe Louis in Detroit.  Even then they just finished renovating MSG basically making it into a brand new arena inside an old shell, Edmonton is already building their new arena and Joe Louis is going to be demolished in 2-3 years and the Red Wings will move into their new arena in the early staged of being built over by Ford Field.

Anyways even as a kid I never thought BBA was that awesome.  It just seemed like some cavernous space and I always wondered since I was a kid why they even considered building it with 1 concourse.  That always turned into a mess and was horrible in the days when smoking was allowed on the concourses (you can literally see the smoke fog every intermission).  Last time I was there was in 2010ish to go to a graduation and while it was a nice memory, the place was clearly outdated.

i aree its a huge upgrade over the coliseum but iwas there for a country concert a couple years ago and remember thinking how old and dated the inside of that building was..i still wish they wouldve just renovated that place instead of moving us to newark but what can ya do.

Yeah, a renovation could go a long way. As an architect myself, if you remove the branding, the actual design of the place was super avant-guarde, way ahead of its time. There are not many designs like it around the world, if any, but the branding/color really took a sh!t on it. 

Yeah, a renovation could go a long way. As an architect myself, if you remove the branding, the actual design of the place was super avant-guarde, way ahead of its time. There are not many designs like it around the world, if any, but the branding/color really took a sh!t on it. 

Thing is the place needed new signage all around, more luxury boxes and a brand new concourse at the very least.  I think at that point a renovation would be almost the same cost as building a new arena.

Plus I don't care how much fun tailgating is, that parking lot sucked ass.