GDT: LA Kings @ Devils 7pm

ghdi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game sucked tonight. However, got to meet some of the Devils post game. A friend of a friend is one of the head security guards at the Rock. Brought is down outside the family room and got to meet with a number of Devils.

Schneider is an awesome dude. Signed my ticket stub, and a few things for some other people. I mentioned to him he should definitely be in the running for the Vezina and he replied "I think you've got to be in the playoffs to pull that in". Told him to keep it up we need to get some goals for you. He seemed to really appreciate the support.

Greene walked past and signed too, can't believe he's an NHL defensemen just based off his frame. Buddy of mine mentioned he should be the next captain and laughed it off.

Merrill is a cool guy and seems like a real professional but still has the bro look about him. Looked like he was ready to split a 30. Cool dude.

Saw Bernier he was taking pictures even with a lot of his family there waiting. He was speaking French and chatting it up with Gelinas.

Mattaeu looked best dressed in a blue saude suit; him, Kinkaid, and Boucher all looked super young. I'm 23 and have a baby face, Boucher was the first athlete I've seen in person and thought "wow I'm older than him"

Tootoo was in and out but very nice.

Seeing the guys after the game sure puts it in perspective. Team might be lacking in talent but the effort is definitely there. Seem like genuinely good guys too

Only one comment on the game...and it continues to worry me with Ruutu goes out again before Zubrus.

Dainius Zubrus cannot be on this team next year under any circumstance. He is 100% finished, and it blows my mind that no one on the staff sees it. Lou and co, thinks he can play anywhere, but he is actually poor in every single role. 

The Devils are going to need an excellent bottom 6 to have any chance next year, and Zubrus ruins any chance of that. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I don't know, I think there is a good chance that Zubrus doubles his 2015 goal total next year. My advanced calculations tell me, he is likely to score 2 to 3 times more PP goals next year (equation below).

Solve for Z, where Z = Zubrus and P = # of Zubrus PPG in 2015

P(3.0 x 108 m/s x 9.8 m/s2) + 3(-Z+P) + -(-C4-H10-S) = -2Z

• -3Z + C4H10S = -2Z
    • Z = C4H10S
Edited by Neb00rs

So, this is great, thanks to Columbus winning 3 in a row and us losing two in a row, the Jackets are now only 3 back of us with a game in hand.

This is why tank talk can be so stupid.  When Columbus went 0-6-1 recently, it's "They're tanking, why don't the Devils do that?"  The Blue Jackets have now won 7 of 9, and one of those was a "costly" one against the Devils.  Three of those seven wins came via shootout...if they wanted to tank those wins, they could have easily put poor moves on the opposing goalie and lost those extra shootout points.  So have the Blue Jackets now said, "Well, no more tanking, now we're trying again"?  

The truly stunning collapse is the Maple Leafs...hard to believe they were 19-9-3 at one point.  8-32-3 since. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

zubes contract year coming up will inspire him to play better

Who the heck is offering him a contract when this one is up?

He's pretty much done.  Assuming he's not bought out this summer - after next season?  Retirement is gonna be knocking on his door.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Sadly I think Zubrus would still be needed for the PK and that's probably why he dressed, although I count 6 guys who've been used there this year who played last night in addition to Zubrus.  But yeah, he was awful last night - there was one point where Larsson hit him with a perfect pass at the blueline, he dumped it in and went after it, immediately the Kings passed it right around him, exited the zone, and got a scoring chance at the other end.  It was the 2014-15 Devils season in the space of about 10 seconds.

This is why tank talk can be so stupid.  When Columbus went 0-6-1 recently, it's "They're tanking, why don't the Devils do that?"  The Blue Jackets have now won 7 of 9, and one of those was a "costly" one against the Devils.  Three of those seven wins came via shootout...if they wanted to tank those wins, they could have easily put poor moves on the opposing goalie and lost those extra shootout points.  So have the Blue Jackets now said, "Well, no more tanking, now we're trying again"?  

The truly stunning collapse is the Maple Leafs...hard to believe they were 19-9-3 at one point.  8-32-3 since. 

I mean, anyone who thinks that a team's players are tanking are always going to be wrong. Team management cannot tell players to tank; it would almost certainly get out to the media eventually, and the players are not going to hurt their own values by playing poorly. That said, management can make moves with the hopes of tanking; such as making coaching changes, roster changes, or transactions.

That said, I don't think for a second Columbus is tanking. Neither was Buffalo actually; they are just incredibly bad. Trading Neuvirth is questionable but he was going to be an FA anyway. Edmonton also isn't tanking imo; they just suck but they are playing their bevy of 1st round draft picks every night.

I think Toronto is tanking. There is no question in my mind. Sure they were struggling under Carlyle, and they almost certainly wouldn't have ended up in the playoffs with him still there but they would have been at least okay. They went on one big losing streak and Toronto seized the opportunity and fired him. The team proceeded into an epic collapse going like 2-17-2 or something like that. Toronto could not have expected things would get better by firing Carlyle; and at that point they still had the chance to replace him with someone good and turn things around somewhat. They figured "let's just lose." I don't think it was a preconceived plan prior to the season or anything, it's just an opportunity that came about. 

Edited by Neb00rs