2015 NHL Off-season Thread

Derlique

Kind of amusing that the only former Devils players or coaches from last season that have new jobs right now are Pete Deboer and Peter Harrold. Not overly shocking...but pretty sad.

One is a scrub of a coach the other is a scrub of a player... ugh it is legit surprising/sad

I dunno, I'd probably be okay if Ariana Grande licked me.

If I were 15+ years younger, sure.  But with me being 6' 1" and 45 years old, the image of 5-foot-nuthin Ariana (who looks at least four years younger than her 22 years) doing anything to me is bound to give just about everyone the heebie-jeebies (me included). 

But yeah, the donuts probably weren't complaining all that much.

One is a scrub of a coach the other is a scrub of a player... ugh it is legit surprising/sad

PDB wasn't a scrub.  He was a good coach.  Give him a good team and he can make it to the Finals.  Give a great team and we will see like the Sharks can be and we will see.

PDB wasn't a scrub.  He was a good coach.  Give him a good team and he can make it to the Finals.  Give a great team and we will see like the Sharks can be and we will see.

Give him a team with youth and he'll sh!t himself because he won't have enough veterans to replace them with. The dude absolutely sucked with the youth on our team, I feel bad for Hertl.

And not for nothing, he wasn't a THAT good of a coach, I think at least half the coaches in the league at that time could have taken our 2012 team to the finals, that was a great team and if not for drawing the Kings in the Finals, we'd be 4x's Cup champs. Let's also remember we were one goal away from going home, twice in the opening round.

Give him a team with youth and he'll sh!t himself because he won't have enough veterans to replace them with. The dude absolutely sucked with the youth on our team, I feel bad for Hertl.

And not for nothing, he wasn't a THAT good of a coach, I think at least half the coaches in the league at that time could have taken our 2012 team to the finals, that was a great team and if not for drawing the Kings in the Finals, we'd be 4x's Cup champs. Let's also remember we were one goal away from going home, twice in the opening round.

I feel bad for Severson and Henrique.  Not for what DeBoer did to them, since they played very solid hockey under him and they were young and it didn't matter and they're constantly overlooked as young players who thrived here, but because they were saddled with the three wheeled sh!t wagon after he left.

The narrative that DeBoer is terrible with youth just doesn't fly.  Larsson couldn't acclimiate himself to the DeBoer system and then when he did he was hurt.  Finally he got it when DeBoer was on his way out.   Josefson, unfortunately, wasn't able to do what was asked of him once he failed at playing his own game.  I think he'll get a chance here this year but I'm not sure he's that good of a player.

Tomas Hertl will be fine.

Edited by Triumph

I feel bad for Severson and Henrique.  Not for what DeBoer did to them, since they played very solid hockey under him and they were young and it didn't matter and they're constantly overlooked as young players who thrived here, but because they were saddled with the three wheeled sh!t wagon after he left.

The narrative that DeBoer is terrible with youth just doesn't fly.  Larsson couldn't acclimiate himself to the DeBoer system and then when he did he was hurt.  Finally he got it when DeBoer was on his way out.   Josefson, unfortunately, wasn't able to do what was asked of him once he failed at playing his own game.  I think he'll get a chance here this year but I'm not sure he's that good of a player.

Tomas Hertl will be fine.

Yeah just because Larsson and DeBoer didn't fit together I'm not automatically assuming every young player in San Jose will be thrown to the curb.

In any case the Sharks are kind of at a crossroads, are mostly a veteran team and need to win a cup either next year or the year after before Thorton/Marleau retire.  If Hertl doesn't blossom under DeBoer it will be a minor tragedy but they can't choose their coach based on the question "who is the best coach for tomas hertl?"  They are focused on the next two years primarily.

DeBoer I thought was the best man for the job. I think he'll be good for San Jose for the next two years.

If I were 15+ years younger, sure. But with me being 6' 1" and 45 years old, the image of 5-foot-nuthin Ariana (who looks at least four years younger than her 22 years) doing anything to me is bound to give just about everyone the heebie-jeebies (me included).

But yeah, the donuts probably weren't complaining all that much.

Yeah, I'm sure if it really happened you'd be sooo upset.

My grandpa always used to say, that's the best thing about college girls. We get older, they stay the same age. :D

Just like Wooderson said about high school gals.

Yeah, I'm sure if it really happened you'd be sooo upset.

She looks like a 15- or 16-year-old kid to me.  I don't have anything against younger women (duh), but I prefer that they at least look like...well, you know, women.  That's where the movie "American Beauty" lost me a bit...Lester Burnham wasn't lusting after a high school girl who looked like she was in her early-mid 20s (the way some high school girls can with the right clothes and makeup) or somehow seemed unusually mature...he was lusting after a 16-year-old who clearly looked that age.  Was getting a little too close to pedophilia for my liking. 

And before I get my hands slapped for topic derailment:

Not sure how PDB will do out there.  I'm not sure how much longer I would go with Thornton and Marleau.  Some guys just don't win. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

That brings him to 26 so he will still be an RFA. That's a pretty good deal. If he turns into a good player he's still under team control when his contract is up. And if the devils decide to trade him the fact that he would remain under team control would probably be appealing to other teams.

That brings him to 26 so he will still be an RFA. That's a pretty good deal. If he turns into a good player he's still under team control when his contract is up. And if the devils decide to trade him the fact that he would remain under team control would probably be appealing to other teams.

Its another show me contract and probably his last if he doesn't show something better this time

I see Larsson getting a 3-year deal sort of like the similar deals Paul Martin and Zach Parise got a few years ago coming off RFA.

3 years would be a good amount for his progress to see how good he gets but based on his contract status, wouldn't it be a bit awkward?  I don't want them to buy one year of his UFA where he's 26 or something and he walks.  I'd rather it be a year before, just like Gelinas, and his last RFA contract is an 8 year deal.

I think at least half the coaches in the league at that time could have taken our 2012 team to the finals, that was a great team.

I usually don't disagree with people's opinions, but sorry, there's just no way that's true. Every team that's been in the Finals or even Semifinals since 2012 has been miles more stacked than that 2012 team. It was the most unlikely of runs and that's a fact.

I usually don't disagree with people's opinions, but sorry, there's just no way that's true. Every team that's been in the Finals or even Semifinals since 2012 has been miles more stacked than that 2012 team. It was the most unlikely of runs and that's a fact.

No way. 2012 team was really good. A younger patrik elias a great player in xach parise ( wild didnt miss the playoffs since he is there...) Ilya Kovalchuk was one o the top 5 player in the world that years. Dont forget how good 2012 team was.

We dont have a bad team overall... We just dont have those wow factor players that makes you win. The lost of Kovy and parise as been deadly since they are those gamebreaker that team needs to succeed. Yes hockey is a team effor and team game, but you need those role to be filled... Toews and kane in chicago, kopitar gaborik in la, tampa have stamkos an johnson etc... We dont have any players of that caliber anymore. Bit 2012 team was really good.

At least we have schneider and maybe superstar defenceman in severson. Those type of D could makes the difference as another x factor. Keith, Karlsson, doughty etc.