2015 NHL Off-season Thread

Derlique

If I may jump in here - nowhere did I downplay the seriousness of sexual assault.

I was commenting how on sensitive the internet can be, and difficult it can be to be 100% "politically correct" at times.  People (self-proclaimed "SJW's" especially) are so quick to jump on others, claim people are being misogynistic and/or claim they are "victim blaming/shaming" for objectively discussing sexual assault that it's almost not worth even going into it.

I definitely agree with you. I also agree that this case could be either Kane being guilty of sexual assault, or someone trying to pursue a frivolous lawsuit. The only thing I responded to your initial post was the comment about the internet being sensitive about rape. And that's because everyone and every institution should be sensitive about rape. People complaining about sensitivity about such serious topics are clutching onto a very destructive culture.

Just to be clear, I'm not an extremely "pc" person. I also disagree ardently with many people who identify as "feminists", because I find some corners of the feminist movement to be sexist in themselves. I'm certainly not trying to push the "men are evil and women need to be protected" narrative, because I don't find that constructive. I'll concede that most rape cases involve a male assailant and a female victim, and that women certainly do not have all of the privileges afforded to men in our society. But now I'm off topic. The point is that I'm not trying to be "politically correct", I'm just saying that we do need to be sensitive about rape, whether the victims are men, women, transgender, whatever, and whether the assailants identify as whatever gender. I've made the argument that people should be as sensitive about violent crimes as they are about sexual assault. I don't think someone getting stabbed to death is any less obscene or horrific.

I understand what you're saying. There are people who will get extremely offended if the word rape is even used. And not being able to have a dialogue about it doesn't make things better, it makes them worse.

If I may jump in here - nowhere did I downplay the seriousness of sexual assault.

I was commenting how on sensitive the internet can be, and difficult it can be to be 100% "politically correct" at times.  People (self-proclaimed "SJW's" especially) are so quick to jump on others, claim people are being misogynistic and/or claim they are "victim blaming/shaming" for objectively discussing sexual assault that it's almost not worth even going into it.

I think what you probably meant to say instead of "sensitive" is "reactionary", when it comes to the word rape, because that word always causes a reaction, and unfortunately so many people react before they have anywhere near all of the facts.  And far too often, when we read or hear about rape allegations in the media, the primal reactions are:

1)  The guy did it, no questions asked, and in some circles, men are guilty automatically because men are scum by default and they're just prone to this behavior.  They're all capable under certain circumstances. 

2)  The woman, either through being promiscuous (through manner or dress or both), impaired, or simply using "poor judgment" (Well, why did you go up to his room?  What did you think was going to happen?), was asking for it, and is as much to blame (if not more so) as her assailant. 

Neither of the above is remotely fair, and what's even worse, men who are 100% exonerated from rape charges often never truly are...there's always those who take the "Well, he must have done something, or it never would've gotten this far..."  It's always a black mark. 

As for feminism...most American women who like to think of themselves as feminists are full of it, because they have no idea what true feminism is.  They interpret feminism to mean "have our cake and eat it too, and come back for seconds at the expense of men".  I'm all for equality...but equal means equal.  That means if a draft is ever re-instituted, then you're eligible too (and this is one of the things that stopped the ERA dead in its tracks from passing, when women suddenly started to realize that you just don't get to pick and choose the parts of equality that constitutes the "good" stuff).  Guys who don't pay for every last thing on your dates aren't cheapskates.  If you commit domestic violence against a man, then it's not some joke that the man got hit by a "girl", or that the man is 100% guilty of being a "woman beater" because he finally dared to defend himself after you assaulted him over and over and over again...and you don't get the play the emotional card either...you get handcuffed, shackled, dragged and humiliated too...you deserve the same punishment as a man who strikes you.  And no more playing the "damsel-in-distress" card in court in divorce cases...in marriages that fail where both parties simply couldn't work it out, the guy doesn't screwed in court to the point where he can barely support himself, but is now stuck paying both child AND spousal support to a woman who is very capable of supporting herself (and don't get me started on the women who move on with another man where both he and she are clearly well-to-do, but look to find ways around the rules so she can keep collecting her money.  My brother was married to one of these beauties).  

Anyway, back on topic...Stoll signed by the Rangers to a one-year, $800k contract. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

When everybody talk about how good feminism is, they forget about moral violence

Voynovs girl say its ok no problem, but today punishment judge voynov at all. Why?

Varlamovs "thing" ends for nothing. (Story is talking about how woman can use a man)

I cant say that no more beast in men, but in what i trully believe that Violence against women would be in three time less if modern women are not allowed to imagine what modern orders allows them.

Now ny rangers must give a contract to richards. Malone, stoll and mike will give some good lessons for hartfords youngsters

Edited by Guadana

I think what you probably meant to say instead of "sensitive" is "reactionary", when it comes to the word rape, because that word always causes a reaction, and unfortunately so many people react before they have anywhere near all of the facts.  And far too often, when we read or hear about rape allegations in the media, the primal reactions are:

Don't want to drag this thread back but I just wanted to comment - good catch CR, that's definitely a better word.

All good points as well, agreed.  

Anyway, back on topic...Stoll signed by the Rangers to a one-year, $800k contract. 

Didn't he just get busted for drug possession?  I for sure thought his NHL career was over.

Didn't he just get busted for drug possession?  I for sure thought his NHL career was over.

He got 32 hours community service. 

He took a big pay cut...made over $3 million last season.  This is definitely a "show me" contract. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'll just bump this thread with this video.. I know it's not from this offseason, but it's being brought up when discussing the recent draft day trades Boston made.  Sit back and watch Boston decide to make one of the worst trades in recent NHL history.

First off - fascinating stuff seeing how these things actually happen.  

Second - holy crap does Chiarelli seem like a meek, weak GM.  Surrounded himself by a bunch of yes-men too.  

I'd give up my paycheck to be able to watch Lou work his magic during some of his more (in)famous trades.

• Like 1

So I'll just bump this thread with this video.. I know it's not from this offseason, but it's being brought up when discussing the recent draft day trades Boston made.  Sit back and watch Boston decide to make one of the worst trades in recent NHL history.

First off - fascinating stuff seeing how these things actually happen.  

Second - holy crap does Chiarelli seem like a meek, weak GM.  Surrounded himself by a bunch of yes-men too.  

I'd give up my paycheck to be able to watch Lou work his magic during some of his more (in)famous trades.

Seguin trade and the Hamilton trade.  Enough said. Chiarelli won't be there much longer with Chara on the decline and the poor decision-making the past 4-5 years.  

Seguin trade and the Hamilton trade.  Enough said. Chiarelli won't be there much longer with Chara on the decline and the poor decision-making the past 4-5 years.  

Well considering he wasn't even there for the Hamilton trade since he has been GM of the OIlers since April I am sure he is fine with Chara declining. 

Cool video, I would like to see more like that!

Now that Chiarelli is in Edmonton, maybe he'll deal us Draisaitl for something unreasonable if he doesn't fit with the team culture.

Or Yakupov in a move for Merrill or Gelinas package. I'm not a fan of his but his skills are something this team needs.

Or Yakupov in a move for Merrill or Gelinas package. I'm not a fan of his but his skills are something this team needs.

Yeah, I bet Yakupov would be a good fit for this new system in NJ. What kind of package do you think it would take? I imagine it would be a lot, since Yakupov is super talented and all. I just don't know how much demand Edmonton has for Merrill or Gelinas, though. It seems that if they've got Justin Schultz playing every night, they might not want Gelinas around. Merrill may be a possibility, but Edmonton may want to leave any open spaces for Nurse or Reinhart to take off. Plus they've got Sekera now, which means there really isn't much room for 2nd and 3rd pairing guys on the Oilers.

Unless Gelinas or Merrill has a crazy start to the year, I'm not thinking that any significant trade with Edmonton happens unless it involves Larsson, Severson, or Greene, unfortunately.

I like Yakupov's skills lots, the trouble is that you just don't get a $ discount on this kind of player.  If Yakupov scores 35 goals he's going to be paid like all the other 35 goal scorers, even though Yak is terrible at defense and basically everything else, at least so far in his NHL career.