Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri

Kalinin-Josefson-Ruutu

Who gives a sh!t

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

Moore-Schlemko

Warsofsky

Hot damn, that RW depth is brutal

Looking at this its obvious the Devils need to either sign a RW (Kyle Okposo?) or trade for one (Yakupov/Eberle) during the off season

2 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

Okposo would be the perfect UFA signing for us this offseason. We'll see how that shakes out with the Isles.

Be interesting to see what he gets offered.  He's making $4.5 million this year and is still fairly young (will be 28 in April).  He'll be the classic UFA overpayment...could see him getting 6 years and $33 million or something along those lines. 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Be interesting to see what he gets offered.  He's making $4.5 million this year and is still fairly young (will be 28 in April).  He'll be the classic UFA overpayment...could see him getting 6 years and $33 million or something along those lines. 

I think he will be looking for 6.5 or more

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No doubt, Okposo is going to get paid. In any event, we have the cap room, not sure I'd give him 6 years but 5 for $30m, I'd do that. 

If the Devils do sign him 5yrs is what I would like to see him get

No thanks on Okposo.  I sense that this year's free agency market is not going to be like it was last year where players were signed for reasonable dollars.  You'd probably have to give him a six year deal, where he'll only be productive for maybe three of those years.  Add the no trade clause that you'd have to give out, and it'll get ugly pretty quickly. 

Guess I'll weigh in here on all the moves since they are technically all lineup/roster moves -

Obviously love the Gelinas move and laugh at the numbers guys saying what a steal it is.  I realize even people who watch lots of NHL hockey do not ever watch the Devils but it becomes very obvious when they're all talking up Gelinas.  To get anything for him is a win, sadly.

Matteau for Smith-Pelly is another win in a sense that the Devils had totally eroded Matteau's value.  Smith-Pelly has decent scoring rates but is terrible territorially.  Either way he's a right wing and the Devils very badly need those.

And I like the Stempniak trade and the fact that it was Blandisi filling in for him last night.  I don't know if that will continue but Blandisi has the speed for the RW and perhaps the vision.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Guess I'll weigh in here on all the moves since they are technically all lineup/roster moves -

Obviously love the Gelinas move and laugh at the numbers guys saying what a steal it is.  I realize even people who watch lots of NHL hockey do not ever watch the Devils but it becomes very obvious when they're all talking up Gelinas.  To get anything for him is a win, sadly.

Matteau for Smith-Pelly is another win in a sense that the Devils had totally eroded Matteau's value.  Smith-Pelly has decent scoring rates but is terrible territorially.  Either way he's a right wing and the Devils very badly need those.

And I like the Stempniak trade and the fact that it was Blandisi filling in for him last night.  I don't know if that will continue but Blandisi has the speed for the RW and perhaps the vision.  

I think the guys at All About the Jersey said it best, "The Devils got an NHL regular for a non-regular possibly non-NHLer."  That's a win.  

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I think the guys at All About the Jersey said it best, "The Devils got an NHL regular for a non-regular possibly non-NHLer."  That's a win.  

It's really that simple! His first year, I thought Matteau's ceiling might be along the lines of Zubrus (which would've been good). As the years have passed, I see his ceiling as 4th liner like Ryan Carter, maybe just a very good AHLer; nothing more. There's a really good chance hey may not be an NHL player.

Edited by DJ Eco

18 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

It's really that simple! His first year, I thought Matteau's ceiling might be along the lines of Zubrus (which would've been good). As the years have passed, I see his ceiling as 4th liner like Ryan Carter, maybe just a very good AHLer; nothing more. There's a really good chance hey may not be an NHL player.

If he gets a chance to play consistently, maybe he can be like a Brian Boyle.  His AHL numbers as a 19-20 year old weren't terrible, especially on what wasn't a great team to begin with.  They were actually pretty similar to Gergensens who was drafted the same year.  However it turns out in the long run, it's not going to be a major fleecing either way.

I'll be a little relieved in a year or two when/if it happens that it's clear that Gelinas is the player we thought he was when we traded him.  There's enough skill there that there seems to be small but not impossible chance that he turns into a good player, but we should by then if it was never meant to be.

Keith Kinkaid will start for Devils Thursday in Nashville. Cory Schneider to start Friday in Dallas

I am hoping Hynes will split rest of the season up between Schneider and Kinkaid.  No reason to over work Cory when you are not going to be making the play offs

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If he gets a chance to play consistently, maybe he can be like a Brian Boyle.  His AHL numbers as a 19-20 year old weren't terrible, especially on what wasn't a great team to begin with.  They were actually pretty similar to Gergensens who was drafted the same year.  However it turns out in the long run, it's not going to be a major fleecing either way.

I'll be a little relieved in a year or two when/if it happens that it's clear that Gelinas is the player we thought he was when we traded him.  There's enough skill there that there seems to be small but not impossible chance that he turns into a good player, but we should by then if it was never meant to be.

Re: Gelinas, would you be upset if he turns out to have a career like Souray where he had the best years later in his career after he was traded?

I know I still don't regret the Souray move.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Re: Gelinas, would you be upset if he turns out to have a career like Souray where he had the best years later in his career after he was traded?

I know I still don't regret the Souray move.

Not really.  I actually never liked Souray as a player and was really annoyed about those constant rumors that he was coming back. 

Can't really think of any comparable good player that I think he could turn into if all the breaks go right way for him.  I suppose I'll say that if in the next year or two, he manages to put up between 35 and 45 points and is not the liability defensively that he was in the couple of years here, I'll feel that we gave up on him too quickly.  While I realize that Souray put up numbers even better than for a stretch of a few years, it strikes me that it was more a product of the era and his particular circumstances.  It could also be that the Devils were still a very good team during those years, all things considered, and he wouldn't have made that much of a difference.  

Guess the best I can say is that I'll know it when I see it. 

9 hours ago, Zubie#8 said:

Liking DSP so far, hes not a one trick pony.

Fill the holes...

Cammallerri Henrique ???

Boucher Zajac Palmieri

Blandisi ??? DSP

Kalinin Josefson ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks good, but ideally we'd bump henrique down to 2c and zajac down to 3c. Not convinced boucher is a top-6 guy long term, and cammalleri cant seem to stay healthy enough to have any confidence in counting on him to be a top line guy.

obviously we have to work with what we have, but even some of the slots that are filled in are somewhat question marks.

• 2 weeks later...

From HFutures aout Vtech...

15. (NR) Vojtech Mozik, D, 6.5 C
Signed as Free Agent, 2015

Mozik has quickly adapted to the North American style and has proven to be a steady two-way player on Albany’s blue line. The Czech Republic native has lived up to his billing on the offensive end, but it has been his attention to playing responsible defense that stands out. In fact, he leads all defensemen in shots and plus/minus. As a result, he receives quality minutes as one of Albany’s go-to defensemen.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

What's very concerning is that Cammalleri can't even hold a stick with his injury.  That cannot be good.  That kind of severity sounds like career/season-ending injury.  

What's very concerning is that Cammalleri can't even hold a stick with his injury.  That cannot be good.  That kind of severity sounds like career/season-ending injury.  

If I had to guess, I'd say Camm's injury is probably a torn wrist/hand tendon or ligament.